Cyberbullying VS Light-Hearted Prank (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:18
No idea. Although I pride myself on following many media ventures from before I was born, I'm afraid that one may be too far before my time. :D

I take it you remember Danny Kaye?

Col

godsspeed

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:18
i think we as a society has become to used to 'getting their way' and in return the term 'bullying' is used all to often.

yes, obviously bullying exists and it can become damaging.... but i think vassago hit it on the head. people need to be open-minded enough to realize and accept that everyone isnt going to and dont need to agree with your every opinion and point of view and that its PERFECTLY ok when they don't. hell, that is one of the main driving forces to our civilization becoming what we are and acheiving all that we've done!!

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:18
Just one correction that I will mention.

The word is "Pom" not "Pome". Unless it has changed recently of course.

Vassago - wasn't there a song back in the distant past by Danny Kaye about trolls? Something like "I'm a troll foll-de-roll".

Col

Col I was taught that it was Prisoner of Mother England.

But I will use POM from now on. It does sound better.

Your Obedient Apprentice

Rain.

RainLover

Local time
I think everyone needs to agree to disagree on this one. Truthfully, I don't even think anyone is completely disagreeing. Of course the djs share in some blame. Of course the depression and previous suicide attempt show the nature of the victim as well and that has to share in some blame. Of course the media shares in some blame for blowing the whole thing further out of proportion than it had to be. Of course the hospital even shares in some blame for not having tighter security on patient information (someone just calling should not be told private medical information so easily, especially after being transferred, that's not a single personel issue, that's a full hospital security issue, IMO.)

Truthfully, the biggest culprit here is human nature. If we weren't entertained by morons like these two djs or the media that blew this out of proportion, neither would have happened. I think this is the saddest truth, all in all. Where some find entertainment, others find depression and suicide.

No one thinks about the consequences to other people anymore because of their actions. People share and spread pictures of other people with captions that mock or bully them all the time without even thinking about the fact they are contributing to cyber-bullying. It's the equivilent of someone sharing a picture of someone in high school with a drawing on it making fun of that individual throughout the school, but on a much more global scale. Think about the fallout to that individual from that! Think about how they must feel before you click that share button or forward that email next time! You can stop cyber-bullying at any time by not contributing to the spread of such filth.

Vassago

Sometimes you are a very good wordsmith.

If only I was half as good as you I may have had better success in my quest to get others to realise that there was a lot more to this than the actions of a couple of retrobates.

Besides that it is hard to soar like an Eagle when you are surrounded by Ducks.

I believe I will quit this debate while I am in front.

RainLover

Local time
Remember? I have to know who he was to begin with to remember.

If I remember correctly Danny Kaye had his own TV show.

I remember him mostly for his roll in the Musical Film of Hans Christian Andersen.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Besides that it is hard to soar like an Eagle when you are surrounded by Ducks.

Its even harder when you're a galah. At least you aspire to greater heights - from depths you have descended to in this thread its shouldnt be difficult. ;-)

Last edited:

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
You know what, you are so mixed up on this.

You insist on the nurse having been wronged because you insist on apportioning the blame for her demise on something other than her.

You then go on to explain the inadequacies of the shock-jocks behavior.

But you then refuse to make any link between the two preferring some other unproven conjecture that the hospital was criminally negligent in their response to a deceit that was forced upon them. Makes no sense whatsoever.

That sums it up nicely.

RainLover

Local time
Anthony

I can see that you are very passionate about things. However don't let it get to you. I have no intention of creating enemies over something we can do nothing about.

It is possible that you could be proven right and I will be the one left with egg on my face.

But one thing for sure is that I am not going to get personal with petty name calling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdKkFcr5JQ

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Anthony

I can see that you are very passionate about things. However don't let it get to you. I have no intention of creating enemies over something we can do nothing about.

It is possible that you could be proven right and I will be the one left with egg on my face.

But one thing for sure is that I am not going to get personal with petty name calling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdKkFcr5JQ

Me neither - I dont think you'll be left with egg on your face. No subsequent events or findings are going to change the behaviour of the DJs around this prank call. Thats the point. To suggest something outside of their control or even knowledge changes how we should view their actions is bizarre.

They were reckless with their actions, and tread a fine line with the law. let alone decent standards. IT didnt work out so good.

Everything else is irrelevent. Simples. :)

RainLover

Local time
I just realised that I said I was leaving the debate. Sorry about getting back in. It is just that Anthony appears upset and I wanted to express my concerns to him that he was taking things too seriously.

:eek: :) :cool: ;) :D

Smile every body.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
I just realised that I said I was leaving the debate. Sorry about getting back in. It is just that Anthony appears upset and I wanted to express my concerns to him that he was taking things too seriously.

Smile every body.

Its a matter of life and death to some - to others just a joke. :)

I am glad we all realise that!

Smile every body.

Nimbin? Should have a reefer smoking icon.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I don't give a shit because I too am entitled to an opinion, although I'll wait for some established facts before I start blaming anyone. However they won't be available until after the inquest resumes on 26th March (2013).

That's your context? You're sticking your fingers in your ears because you can?

The Coroner probably has a list of other potential suspects to investigate given her three suicide notes citing different people.

Since the Coroner has not returned a verdict they're not necessarily out of the woods yet as far as moral blame is concerned.

I already understand how you need to rely on someone else's opinion to take a view on the inadequacies of one's behavior. You don't need to go on about it.

Some might be better off with a dictionary so they can tell the difference between a paediatrician and a paedophile.

Then there are various comments we see quoted from the Daily Mail every now and then, not a very nice newspaper for the benefit of our international participants, who would probably have been one of the first tabloids to post the results of the scam as celebrity gossip if it had paid off.

Again, I understand you don't want to examine the DJ's behavior, no need for any further conjecture to justify your reluctance in doing so.

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 13:18
Vassago

Sometimes you are a very good wordsmith.

Thanks! Since I am an American, English is obviously not my first language. Just ask Col. This is a very welcome compliment considering this fact. :D

nanscombe

Registered User.
Local time
That's your context? You're sticking your fingers in your ears because you can?

Yes. I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you, so we disagree from time to time.

I already understand how you need to rely on someone else's opinion to take a view on the inadequacies of one's behavior. You don't need to go on about it.

I don't presume to judge other people, in a legal sense, as there are plenty of others who's job it is to do that.

As to how human beings treat each other? I don't really have that much empathy, as you may have gathered. The only behaviour I take responsibility for is my own. The woman died but, to me, it's just another news story awaiting facts.

I tend to treat people the way they treat me. If they act reasonably then I will return the courtesy. If they are combatant and want an argument, I'll give them one. Come the end of the argument I'll just be walking away anyway.

Again, I understand you don't want to examine the DJ's behavior, no need for any further conjecture to justify your reluctance in doing so.

You're right, I don't particularly care why they did it beyond the fact that if the Great Unwashed didn't show an interest in "Celebrity Gossip" they'd have no market for their kind of show.

RainLover

Local time
Thanks! Since I am an American, English is obviously not my first language. Just ask Col. This is a very welcome compliment considering this fact. :D

You got me at a weak moment.

I will be careful not to do it again.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Being in Australia, I'm sure his general opinion is the same for you. :p

True to a certain extent. Australian TV is hopelessly American. As for the language, I found it rather amusing especially the abbreviated words they invented like ambo for ambulance and garbo for bin collection men.

No, on the whole, Australia is still in receipt of strong British ties and customs. Mind you, it is still part of the Empire, what will happen if they gain independence is anyone's guess.
Lets hope it won't go the same way as the USA.

Col

RainLover

Local time
True to a certain extent. Australian TV is hopelessly American. As for the language, I found it rather amusing especially the abbreviated words they invented like ambo for ambulance and garbo for bin collection men.

No, on the whole, Australia is still in receipt of strong British ties and customs. Mind you, it is still part of the Empire, what will happen if they gain independence is anyone's guess.
Lets hope it won't go the same way as the USA.

Col
Colin

Australia gained its independence from England over 100 years ago. Namely 1901.

Since that time we have severed more and more of our association with England.

What we have as head of Government is an independent person to act as the Queen's representative. However the Governor General is nominated by the Prime Minster and is simply signed off by the Queen.

I feel that you may be thinking of Australia becoming a Republic. I would not like to see this happen. We have one of the Best Constitutions in the world and I would not like to see that change. If putting up with a little ribbing for being part the British Empire then I can handle that.

RainLover

Local time
I've just noticed Rain is in Australia, finesse and class are very thin on the ground there. I spent three years there and never saw any. No, I lie, there was a bespoke gents outfitter just off George Street in Sydney, he was old and oozed class. He was English.

In fact, if I had a pound for every time someone said " g'day mate, how ya doin?" Or "jeeze, what a ripper" I would not need a pension. And that's just how the women talk, usually followed by a spit.

Col

Well you guys invented the language, so you have a bit of an advantage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO6EE1xTXmw

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom