Desktop FE connected to a Hosted SQL BE (1 Viewer)

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Yesterday, 20:17
I'm trying to find out more information about such a setup. Generally speaking, who has done it, and is it working well for them. I'm concerned a bit about speed.

Also, often times in my code, I'll need 1 value in a field in a table. The only two methods I know of for getting this would be

A) Domain function, such as DLookup

B) Open a recordset, write the SQL and pull the record I need.

I've heard Domain functions can be slow in this setup...Which is the preferred method? I'm also open to any other method I'm not aware of...

Thanks!:)

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 23:17
I do it al the time and as long as your database is designed properly you should not have any issues. There are a few surprised, so have a look here...

So, you're ready to upsize...
http://regina-whipp.com/blog/?p=371

As for DLookup's, used improperly they can slow down the smallest of databases. You need to make sure you are using them *properly* but, again, nothing new there.

I would recommend you install a Local instance, the free one of course, and make a copy of database and upsize it. This will give you something to *test* and *play* with.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Good to hear, Thank you Gina!

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Gina,
Who do you recommend for the SQL db hosting? I'm comparing accesshosting.com and MS Azure right now, but I'm open to other options and any recommendations...

Thanks,
Gary

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Wait... are you talking an Access App (365) or just an Access database with a SQL Server backend, they are two different animals.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Umm, why would do that remotely? What would be the point? For a Desktop database you can load SQL Server locally.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
because I will have several users of this all in different locations....it's unlikely that there will be more than 1 user in any location.

So, I take it you didn't understand this when you replied for this thread?

I took a look at your blog, it's informative thanks!

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Ah, okay well then that does make sense. Nope, I do not know of anyone that does that but I will *ask* around and see if I can find someone to recommend.

No, I did not get that from your original post, however, that does not change my answer because SQL Server is SQL Server. The only difference would have been is if you wanted to do an Access Web App THEN my answer would be completely different.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
And from another MVP... Azure is a also another good choice and you can *pay as you go*, look for the Enterprise account.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=269523
Just got back from the all day presentation of Access, it was primarly Access Web.
There are several options. With Office 365 the Azure (for small db) is basically free.
They demonstrated tapping it from a Client Access (desktop version) and the Web version.
If you have several databases, it might be worth looking at Azure.
The old SkyDrive is now Microsoft OneDrive.
Again, it offers some free services. A presenter even host the Client Desktop FE & BE (Azure) on one. If it was one to 3 people per back end, maybe that would work.
There are more details of course.
Hopefully, they will make PPT presentation available to us. 6 hours of fantastic presentations. All great stuff, too much to absorb.

If you look at the post above, they have another presentation at Redmond, WA (Microsoft's home). For anything Access with web, it was excellent and covered all the different ways for professional developers. It might be worth the long daytrip.

GBalcom

Much to learn!
Local time
Gina,
Thanks for checking with the MVP's...I'm going to look into GoDaddy further...Their Virtual Private Servers are reasonably priced and seem like an option.
Is there any reason to believe that GoDaddy or any other reputable site would be any less secure than Azure? I believe I'd still have to set it up so that the user would supply their IP address, so I could "Allow" that IP address to talk to the SQL database.

Thanks!

Rx,
I look forward to your findings on this topic! Please let me know when you post it.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
I don't know of any reason to believe that any one is less secure than the other and from what I've *heard* no one else does either.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
I concure. The Office 365 has had some major outages.
Spend time for due dillgiance, conduct background checks.

As I follow the internet fraud stories, I would discourage any service that uses overseas backup or fail over.
In the US and UK, there are regulations concering individuals and company data thieft. The laws in other countries are basically non-existent or non-enforcable.
Take Target.com for example. All of the IT jobs are in India. It use to be on the website until so much attention was drawn to it after the data breach.
http://jobs.target.com/search/advan...SLatitude/-1/ASLongitude/-1/ASDistanceType/-1
The Inida data development sub-contractor clearly had several lawsuits for outright customer data use in the past. However law enforcement was basically impossible even for large companies. You and I probably wouldn't stand a chance.

It is not on the job site now, but a search of Target Jobs in India brings up all the IT and data management jobs.
A while back Chase Bank laied off NY IT staff because it sold its Data Processing division in NY to an India company. I closed all my accoutns related to Chase. The latest news about Chase didn't surprise me in the least.

I am all in favor of global trade. However, the "responsibility" thing can affect an individual's bottom line. There is a reason many of us don't beleive those financial emails from "south Africa banks".

Your enterprise may not be big enough to be a target. On the otherhand, one might like to avoid all of one's customers suddenly receive emails spoofing your site. Or, avoid questionable bank transactions.

Just as all banks (or credit unions) are not equal, neither are web hosting sites.
It might be worth your time to do some background truthing when making an important decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom