DST Forever...? (1 Viewer)

What Should be done about DST? Pick one option from the first six and one from the last two.

• I live outside the US and don't care how you set your clocks...

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Nothing - keep switching clocks twice/year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm in the Northern US - I want permanent DST (noon = ~1:00)

• I'm in the Northern US - I want permanent Standard Time (noon = ~12:00)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I'm in the Sourthern US - I want permanent DST (noon = ~1:00)

• I'm in the Southern US - I want permanent Standard Time (noon = ~12:00)

• Where I live in my time zone, DST more closely aligns to the sunrise-sunset cycle

• Where I live in my time zone, Standard Time better aligns to the sunrise-sunset cycle

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

JonXL

Local time
Today, 03:49
The US Senate approved a bill Tuesday that would make daylight saving time permanent throughout the country.

What do folks here think of this move? Myself, I am very opposed to the idea of permanent DST. I dislike DST to begin with, but it's currently tolerable* because it's in the summer when it's sunny all the time anyway. But applying DST to winter would be disastrous. Up north in winter, sunrise would come around 9:00. There are all sorts of reasons this is bad. The issue of children having to wait for the bus in the flat out darkness hits me personally (where I am, even when it's dark in the morning there is a little twilight at the kid's bus stop in the winter). But this move would also impact almost everyone's health negatively. When folks talk about the negative health impacts of "springing forward", they miss the negative impacts of simply being sprung forward

The ‘good’ news for folks like me is that we can see hope in this either not passing the House (who say they support it but that it’s not a priority) or being signed by the President. On that latter point, our President is at least old enough to recall the last time the US switched to permanent DST. It lasted a few months before public outcry forced it back. One source I read said support for permanent DST in the '70s was around 70% before implementation but dropped to 40% after. So even if this becomes law, it won’t be for long.

But what does everyone else here think?

I’ve opened a poll to get your opinion, but please share your reasoning in the thread! :)

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:49

• I live outside the US and don't care how you set your clocks...

I chose above,

I think here in the UK I'm quite happy with the way is. I wasn't at first. You have to go around changing all the clocks and you might forget one, and it used to produce a bit of angst in me, wondering whether I was losing or gaining something... But not anymore All the important Clocks switch over themselves, just the car clock and the one on the living room wall and the one in the kitchen that have to be changed. The ones you rely on on your phone, the TV, computer, they automatically change.

We used to have and radio controlled clock and that would reset itself. Reminds me, I've been meaning to get another one! I must put it on my Christmas list!

As for whether moving the amount of useful daylight to the morning or the evening, I would prefer the evening, you can get more done when you get home from work.... Doesn't really matter in the morning you're half asleep anyway! When we All have self-driving Tesla cars, it won't matter a damn, just get in the car, snooze, or eat your serial, and then you're at work!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I voted for permanent DST and don't care which way Noon is placed. I'd just as soon have permanent STANDARD time as DAYLIGHT time. It is the change that bothers me. I would adapt easily enough.

JonXL

Local time
Did I do something wrong? I can only see my own vote...

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:49
I remember dealing with year round DST back in high school (early 70s). It was a major pain in the winter since it made for a very dark morning getting to school

JonXL

Local time
I chose above,

I think here in the UK I'm quite happy with the way is. I wasn't at first. You have to go around changing all the clocks and you might forget one, and it used to produce a bit of angst in me, wondering whether I was losing or gaining something... But not anymore All the important Clocks switch over themselves, just the car clock and the one on the living room wall and the one in the kitchen that have to be changed. The ones you rely on on your phone, the TV, computer, they automatically change.

We used to have and radio controlled clock and that would reset itself. Reminds me, I've been meaning to get another one! I must put it on my Christmas list!

As for whether moving the amount of useful daylight to the morning or the evening, I would prefer the evening, you can get more done when you get home from work.... Doesn't really matter in the morning you're half asleep anyway! When we All have self-driving Tesla cars, it won't matter a damn, just get in the car, snooze, or eat your serial, and then you're at work!

Sounds like your preference is for permanent DST, even though you're not in the US.

And do people really still leave their home for work?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
From what it looks like, only 2 votes so far (mine and someone else's).

JonXL

Local time
I voted for permanent DST and don't care which way Noon is placed. I'd just as soon have permanent STANDARD time as DAYLIGHT time. It is the change that bothers me. I would adapt easily enough.
I realized after posting I forgot the scenario you mention: a not-strong preference for DST or standard time so long as it doesn't change twice a year...

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I sure do and a number of my co-workers do. Hard to work on network cables from home. :)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 04:49
If there was an option to dispense with the whole idea completely, I missed it. The idea is outdated and it is just a PITA now.

JonXL

Local time
If there was an option to dispense with the whole idea completely, I missed it. The idea is outdated and it is just a PITA now.
Dispensing with DST would be permanent standard time. There are two options for that depending on where you live in the US (north or south).

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The closer you are to the equator, the more stable your day-night ratio is during the year. At the poles, you alternate between 100% daylignt and 100% darkness. At the equator, it is closer to 50% every day.

The real effect of DST is where you are E-W in your time zone. Each time zone is ~ 1 hour wide so it gets light earlier at the east edge than at the west edge. On the east edge if the sun rises at 7, it is still dark at 7 on the west edge and sunrise doesn't reach you until 8. So, the further west you are in your TZ, the more likely you are to dislike DST because you don't like it still being dark at 9 AM. For me, I spend the winter in depression because it gets dark before 5PM and I feel like it is always bedtime.

Then there are the time zones that are wider than 1 hour because they try to group populations to avoid having towns have two time zones. Those might be 1.5 hours difference for sunrise/sunset from east to west.

It could be worse though. China is 5 time zones wide and everyone is on Beijing time which is in the Eastern part of the country. So when it is 8 AM in Beijing it is 3 AM (real time) for those poor people at the wrong edge of the country.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
spend the winter in depression because it gets dark before 5PM and I feel like it is always bedtime.
Sounds like sun-downers. My father in law claims it as a reason for his bad behavior. Not saying it is t a thing but I think he welcomes any exterior influence to pin his pathetic inability to cope on.

conception_native_0123

Local time
well Jon, I think congress could be focusing on more important issues than the damn DST if you ask me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom