Entertainment that Best Depicts American Life (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 20:28
Thanks for that Mile-O

I remember the reports on some of those shows being on the news and in the papers at the time, its not my thing but as I said, each to their own.

There were people that thought "Not The Nine O'Clock News" was to risky to show after the pilot was shown - but it went on to become one of the greats

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
ColinEssex said:
I remember the reports on some of those shows being on the news and in the papers at the time, its not my thing but as I said, each to their own.

Yes. There were times when you could switch on the telly and turn to Channel 4 and, if Brasseye was on, get sucked into believing it was real. The attention to detail was superb, right down to the carefully crafter phrases. If I remember correctly, Dr Fox also said "There's no proof but it's scientific fact."

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Yes. There were times when you could switch on the telly and turn to Channel 4 and, if Brasseye was on, get sucked into believing it was real.

LOL Indeed, the opening sequence of Brasseye was superbly done. Quite a few people I know were completely fooled. Strangely enough most of these people were also fooled by Alan Partridge; one of my friends actually got through the whole series without realising and got genuinely upset at the last show (where Alan shoots dead one of his guests with one of Byron's dueling pistols).

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I wouldn't know about Alan Partrdige; I never did like Steve Coogan.

reclusivemonkey

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
I wouldn't know about Alan Partrdige; I never did like Steve Coogan.

I seem to remember him getting a lot of stick in the press, mostly for his sexual procilivities. Personally I think Alan Partridge is one of the best comedy character creations in many years. I haven't seen anything of Steve Coogan's other than Alan Partridge. Thankfully he was smart enough to draw a line under AP before it went too far.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
reclusivemonkey said:
I seem to remember him getting a lot of stick in the press, mostly for his sexual procilivities. Personally I think Alan Partridge is one of the best comedy character creations in many years. I haven't seen anything of Steve Coogan's other than Alan Partridge. Thankfully he was smart enough to draw a line under AP before it went too far.
Steve Coogan (as an impressionist back then) was one of the main voices for Spitting Image

Col

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
If you get a chance, check out Paul and Pauline Calf. Earlier creations, I believe. Very different to the Alan Partridge character, but equally well observed. The live concerts are a bit inconsistent, but the two TV specials 'Paul Calf's Video Diary' and (something like) 'Three fights, two weddings and a funeral' were great.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I didn't like them either. Or Tony Ferrino.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
So I'll have to exchange your Christmas gift?

Wish I'd known sooner.

R

Rich

ColinEssex said:
I prefer the "telling jokes" type British comics

Bob Hope
Peter Kay
Dave Allen
Jack Dee

Col
Fortunately for us Christmas TV entertainment was rescued by repeating some of the all time classics.
The Dave Allen sketch of the two coffins racing to get to the burial ground first has to be one of the all time classics.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Rich said:
Fortunately for us Christmas TV entertainment was rescued by repeating some of the all time classics.
The Dave Allen sketch of the two coffins racing to get to the burial ground first has to be one of the all time classics.
yes, and the story of the young boy learning the word "fart":D ;)

Col

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ColinEssex said:
I saw that bit and I admit I couldn't see what was supposed to be funny - I thought it was stupid.:rolleyes:

I prefer the "telling jokes" type British comics

Bob Hope
Peter Kay
Dave Allen
Jack Dee

I think the only American comic I like is Joan Rivers

Col

You have a singular wit Colin,

But thank you for proving once and for all that Americas greatness comes from our immigration.

If a guy spends the first 4 years of his life as a Brit and the next 96 as an American, what does that make him?

Answer…Lucky

R

Rich

jsanders said:

But thank you for proving once and for all that Americas greatness comes from our immigration.

If a guy spends the first 4 years of his life as a Brit and the next 96 as an American, what does that make him?

Answer…Lucky
Dave Allen American, I thought he was Irish?:confused:

NJudson

Who farted?
Local time
Rich said:
Dave Allen American, I thought he was Irish?:confused:

And I never heard of Bob Hope being British. Or is he being referred to as a British style of comic? :confused:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
jsanders said:
Cute eh?:rolleyes:

jsanders said:
I didn't say that:p

jsanders said:
British - its where one is born, not the purchase of another nationality.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom