excel graph help (1 Viewer)

oksiweles84

Local time
Today, 17:53
Is it possible to make a (line?) graph with 1 dependant variable and 4+ independent variables, in excel or another program (I do not have a program preference).
background: I am trying to plot, and see visually/trends, the effects of 4+ independent variables (calories, protein, fat, and carbs, and water consumed and excercise completed), and how they affect the dependant variable: weight.
TY!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:23
You can certainly do those things one at a time, but from a statistical viewpoint you would have to find a multi-dimensional viewer to plot them all at once. However, I suspect you are also omitting a time variable in your description.

Mathematically, what you are attempting would be described as "partial differentiation" - trying to separate out the contributing effects of each of those components. Making it graphic would be particularly difficult with all those contributions.

It IS possible to build a single dependent axis and have multiple independent axes by using different colors, but the trick would be getting everything aligned on the independent axes, because I am certain beyond question that the units of the independent axes will not be uniform. That will make the problem of scaling become a nightmare. Not to mention the amount of data you would need is immense if you really wanted to do more than plot a few dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom