Famous Quotes (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:03
Novelist Michael R Fletcher:

“Today’s truths will be tomorrow’s lies and you will be left questioning your own sanity.”

I thought this weighed up the current situation very well!!!

It also works if you transpose the "truths" and "lies" words, particularly in the current Wokish climate...

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:03
Novelist Michael R Fletcher:

“Today’s truths will be tomorrow’s lies and you will be left questioning your own sanity.”

I thought this weighed up the current situation very well!!!

It also works if you transpose the "truths" and "lies" words, particularly in the current Wokish climate...
Your last sentence is exactly what I was thinking of replying until I read it
That's EXACTLY what we're going through with the whole woke crap.
Today's lies are becoming tomorrow's truths if we don't speak up for what's true today

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:03
Novelist, journalist, and America humorist Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens), regarding truth:

"The reason we hold truth in such respect is because we have so little opportunity to get familiar with it."

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."

"Often the surest way to convey misinformation is to tell the strict truth."

"If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything."

"Advertisements contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper."

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

and ... this little gem from over 100 years ago that applies today to President Putin:

"The statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception."

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:03
Today's lies are becoming tomorrow's truths if we don't speak up for what's true today

Exactly!!!

The road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Luckily we have people like Musk who don't fuss about with intentions, they just get on and do the right thing. Bugger the cost to themselves....

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Often the surest way to convey misinformation is to tell the strict truth

Hmm, that's an interesting opinion. Did Mark Twain really say that?

That sounds identical to the way liberals talk these days. "Well yes, strictly speaking that IS actually true, but, it's still somehow Misinformation. Here's why:" .... and then they proceed to some mumbo jumbo using new words they've invented to try to convince you not to believe your eyes.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:03
Hmm, that's an interesting opinion. Did Mark Twain really say that?

That sounds identical to the way liberals talk these days. "Well yes, strictly speaking that IS actually true, but, it's still somehow Misinformation. Here's why:" .... and then they proceed to some mumbo jumbo using new words they've invented to try to convince you not to believe your eyes.

Yes, it is one of his more cynical quotes. But it is also quite true. It works best when someone is looking so hard for another answer that they disbelieve the raw truth when presented with minimum embellishment. There is a variant of it - to tell someone the truth - but don't claim it to be, and don't speak, the COMPLETE truth. I.e. tell most of the truth. Leave stuff out but never lie in what you DO say. Then later you could say, "Oh, did I not explain that part? Must have slipped my mind."

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Hmm. The original quote just sounds too much like someone from the Biden administration would say for my taste.

Okay, it may be true that a quarter million migrants are crossing illegally, but remove it from twitter as misinformation
Okay, it may be true that your 8 year old has a better chance of winning the lottery than dying from covid, but remove it from twitter as misinformation

..and so on and so on, in the numbering 100's of instances.

Of course the truth in context is best, but still, I'll take the raw truth out of context any day over the outright lies that have come to dominate our society's conversation.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 19:03
Orwell quotes:
Goebbles quote;
The progressives are corrupting language which consequently corrupts thought. Everything becomes meaningless and anything can be "justified". A classic example:
Totally appalling that a person who is on the US Supreme Court, a guru of the law, can elucidate on simple biology. This implies that Ms Jackson would be arbitrary and capricious in making judicial rulings since words are defined by the individual not the legal text. Lewis Carroll wrote:

“When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

Consider, on the surface, this innocuous headline where Kamela Harris glowing speaks of how social media should help the government, sounds fine at first blush. But, the word "government" has not been clearly defined by Harris. Reading between the lines, what she implies is a US government run by the Democratic party. Kamala Harris: Social Media Must Work With Government To Uphold And Protect Democracy. This is very similar to where Nancy Pelosi "demanded" that the media help the Biden administration: Pelosi gripes media not helping ‘selling' $3.5T bill trillion budget reconciliation bill. That is not the media's job.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom