Favourite Music (1 Viewer)

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 18:27
Hands up all of you that DIDN'T get their beginner's guide to classical music from the Bugs Bunny show?

Carl Stalling was the long time Musical Director of this wonderful show - how much music I learnt from this (plus some laughs too)
damn! somehow i missed two whole pages of this thread. i knew the answer to this too! i grew up with that stuff and two summers ago i was given four collections of looney tunes and animated shorts that contain great music. he really was great.

Kill da wabbit!

Last edited:

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:27
The Blues, if you had read the fine print, I specifically said Electric Blues in the Muddy Waters statement...
That Robert Johnson preceded him is irrelevent ...
Actually, in the beginning of that post you specified
David Eagar said:
......we are now heading into The Blues
In reference to your Muddy Waters assertion, you specified
David Eagar said:
He was one of the originators of electric blues
we all know that "Muddy Waters 'ventented 'lectriss-ty" :D

Statsman: BB usually manages to play over in Lancaster at least once a year and my wife and I love to catch the show. He has (had?) to sit in a chair, but can he ever play :eek:

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Today, 11:27
My two penn'orth

Best song ever recorded

Keep on Trying by Poco

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:27
I like Vangelis, the Blade Runner soundtrack is on my Ipod and rocks my socks and has for almost 15 yrs now.

as far as punk goes, gimme some Sex Pistols and maybe a little sprinkling of Billy Idol to go with it

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 03:27
we are into Punk now

ok, forget the sex pistols - old hat

The damned and the anti-nowhere league and a modern (ish) punk band PWEI(Pop will eat itself)

They did some real crap- but there are some moments of glory in there - i think they ae also on a couple of films

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:27
OK, are we all done and dusted or should I lob another handgrenade & set it offf again?

Sod it - let's lob a handgrenade & see where it falls:

As hoped, this has covered a lot of territory, some followed the original brief 0 a piece of music and gave their justifications, a lot said what about BB, what about Band A B C etc with no specific peice or justification

Wazz gave us all a listening list that will keep us going for months!

At the end of the day, your preference is your preference - it can't be right or wrong!

Here are mine

No 1 - original post
Favourite Electric Blues - Muddy (flogged to death already)
Favourite Electric Blues GUITAR (for sentimental reasons because this helped me to learn to play a guitar as a kid) I Wonder Who - Mike Bloomfield (The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper)
Favourite accoustic blues (and why did I dig myself into this hole of differentiating?) after long deliberation - Ry Cooder, Hey Porter (Paradise & Lunch) Passion & technique, works for me

For my unintended battles with Rich over ELP (we quibble over nothing, they could PLAY as opposed to the dross we are served up from current artists) Favourite ELP track: Trilogy

Jazz: An equal winner:
Miles Davis - So What (Kind of Blue) I defy anybody not to listen to this and have their foot tapping - IT SWINGS
Miles Davis - Spanish Key (Bitches Brew) Having grown up on Rock / Blues this was the most revoultionary music I have ever heard at age 16 (many, many years ago)

Fusion Jazz: John McLaughlin - Hymn To Him (Apocolypse) The only viable fusion of Jazz / Rock / Classical I have ever heard

Rock / Classical - These are too broad an area to have a definitive answer on, so I will avoid embarresment and say Pass

Most electrifying performances I have ever seen:
Another joint winner!
1st First concert where I saw Leo Kottke live (had the LP for about a year and could NOT believe 1 person could be playing all those notes!) Live, he did and he played some more for good measure at a higher tempo (for those that do not know him, fingerpicking 12 string accoustic guitar) I walked out of the concert vowing never to touch a guitar again (I lied)

2nd Grammy awards several years ago (and sadly only on TV), Aretha Franklin filled in for Luciano Pavarotti at very short notice and sang his signature tune (opera buffs, help me out I can't recall the name of this piece) and I could still hear the blues - she played no tricks with 'jazzing it up' it was just the natural inflection of her voice - a spine chilling musical moment

GaryPanic

Local time
just heard annie lennox on Radio 2 -
reminded me of her talent
she on tomorrow at 8 on radio with te full bbc orchestra..

that might be interesting

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:27
A Great talent - Somwhere in this thread. someone praised the 80's as a musical highlight (not for me) but Annie would stand out in any decade

It's Allright, Baby's coming back

GaryPanic

Local time
A Great talent - Somwhere in this thread. someone praised the 80's as a musical highlight (not for me) but Annie would stand out in any decade

It's Allright, Baby's coming back

80 music - Men at work perhaps ??

sandy6078

Take a deep breath
Local time
Today, 06:27
I have read this post with great enjoyment and am compelled to throw in m 2 cents. For electric guitar there is also Carlos Santana, blues what about Johnny Lang, good old classis music I can go on forever - Guess Who, Poco Harem, Steppenwolf, CCR...and on and on.... I have a hard time defining anyone as the best.

I have a lot of worsts but will start with ABBA :eek:. and wreak havoc with the 80's.

Sandy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom