Firefox and .dxf files (1 Viewer)

Bogzla

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:10
So my problem is, I'm writing a quick 'menu' page for easily accessing certain documents, some of which are in .dxf format (it's a portable CAD drawing format that stores all the drawing info in the form of text)

my problem is that when clicking a link to such a document, firefox automatically opens it in text form rather than presenting me with the usual 'save / open with' dialogue. (and the save / open with dialogue is what I want to see)

does anybody know of an html workaround for this kind of problem? (I've noticed a similar thing happening with standard .txt files...)

thanks in advance

Bogzla

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:10
I think this more of a file association problem and I know how to change your Firefox to open web 'elements' correctly:

Go to tools > options > downloads > view and edit actions > find the extension and click change action

However as this is a file does the .dxf file open in the correct application on your PC directly ? If not change your file associations:

In explorer go to tools > folder options > file types and check .dxf is associated with your cad programme.

You may have already tried this so I'm sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but that would be my first steps :p

Post back if you need more help as there is another way to re-associate files but it a little more erm..geeky :D

Bogzla

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:10
I think this more of a file association problem and I know how to change your Firefox to open web 'elements' correctly:

Go to tools > options > downloads > view and edit actions > find the extension and click change action

However as this is a file does the .dxf file open in the correct application on your PC directly ? If not change your file associations:

In explorer go to tools > folder options > file types and check .dxf is associated with your cad programme.

You may have already tried this so I'm sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs but that would be my first steps :p

Post back if you need more help as there is another way to re-associate files but it a little more erm..geeky :D

hmm... I was really hoping for some way to tell the browser to download / open the file in an external application rather than opening it itself. Like I say it's basically a text file with a different extension so firefox seems to sense this and open it straight up in a browser page.

I don't think this can really be solved with file associations as the pages / files are on a network (and so available to many people) and I don't think it would realistically be worth going round and changing everyone's firefox settings..

anyways, I've worked around the problem by zipping the files. Then people can just select open with.. compressed folder and open the file up from there

thanks for your time though, and I would still be interested to hear your other method if you have time (geeky is ok... :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom