Flame Wars (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:15
I have considered putting a forum on here called Flame Wars for those who want to vent and rant.

Any opinions?

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 08:15
I don't see the point. There's already Watercooler and then there's Politic and Current Events. Having one more forum for what those two forums already is full to brim?

It also won't address the fact that it spills over to the other forums. People has said, "Keep it to WC." and forgot about it the next minute.

I also don't see why we should have to tolerate infantile behaviors of members. If they really want to rant and vent, they should get their own websites and not leech on your website/forums. Heck, they can go to the usenet if they want to. I believe forums here exist to serve a purpose, but I can't imagine it would be to contain disgruntled members' moans and barbed flamebaits.

EDIT: I should also add that the 'flame wars' also was unnecessarily prolonged because some posters never learn to not raise up to the bait, and thus become just much part of the problem as the originator of flamebait.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Gotta agree with Banana.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:15
I agree with Banana as well. I don't see the point in an entire forum devoted to it.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 10:15
I don't like the idea either and for the same reasons Banana stated.

Banana

Local time
I want to point out one more pattern that I also have observed:

Now and then, there's a flame war going on in a given thread and it happens that a side banter comes out of this. To provide an example someone may mention a recent game match in middle of a flame war and this starts a banter. This banter is good, and actually may be interesting to others (I was) but the fact is that the banter is in middle of flame war, of which I don't want to be part of. As the banter continues, the thread (with all of its baggage) get bumped up and thus reminding of the past flamewars which only begets even more flamewars.

The point here is that this kind of set the tone. If this isn't the tone we really want, then we may need to re-think about how we are moderating the threads and encouraging positive discussions or playful banter while dissuading continuation of a thread for where the horse is utterly, absolutely and beyond a shadow of doubt long ago dead. This, IMHO, would be more effective policy toward "flame management", I suppose.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Woud you like to ban free speech and thought as well?:rolleyes:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Unfortunately some of the "Flamers" don't bother with the thought part.

Brian

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I agree with Banana as well. It would serve no purpose unless you then moderated the WC or Politics forums to keep it out of there. I can't begin to imagine what motivates people to throw the same drivel back and forth ad nauseam, but it has made it impossible to have an informed discussion of anything. I wish people would stop rising to the bait.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:15
Jon, I would suggest if you want to end the flame wars in the other sections, the only way to do so is stricter moderation. That really all depends how professional you want to keep it here. Think of it as a business, which I know that's what it is for you, do you want to restrict the conversations to things you would feel appropriate for a work environment? How far do you go with that?

I'm on board with whatever you want.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:15
Banana,

Are there any threads in the Access forums that have a spill over from the Watercooler or Political forum?

Now if you are only concerning yourself with the Watercooler and Political forums then why not change those to forums to:

Political and General Discussion...Censored
Political and General Discussion...Uncensored

Banana

Local time
Are there any threads in the Access forums that have a spill over from the Watercooler or Political forum?

Unfortunately, yes.

Now if you are only concerning yourself with the Watercooler and Political forums then why not change those to forums to:

Political and General Discussion...Censored
Political and General Discussion...Uncensored

Whatever for? That's basically same as what Jon was suggested, only by a different name.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:15
Unfortunately, yes.

Examples?

Whatever for? That's basically same as what Jon was suggested, only by a different name.

Yes, except both forums have the same name. I would assume you and some other posters on this thread would not enter the Political and General Discussion...Uncensored forum. On the other hand if I entered the Political and General Discussion...Censored forum I would moderate what I say if deletion or moderator editing is to be avoided.

Local time
Today, 10:15
Mike's thought is very interesting. I would think that many of our posters who normally limit themselves to the Access forums would enjoy "censored" political, religious, etc. talk, as long as the rules were well laid out (i.e. no trolling).

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Please bear in mind that posters from overseasland have delicate stomachs and thus have difficulty swallowing advice from educated posters.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Just post a set of rules of what you determine are proper ethics and code of conduct and if anyone steps over the line more then 3 times discontinue their profile. That may take care of the trolls, stalkers and thopusands of long winded rants intended to provoke people into flame wars.
I would also suggest that you ensure that moderators are unbiased and also follow a code of conduct. One moderator may be excellent in one area of the forum but not really suitable in another. What might be acceptible here in troll land may not be seen as professional in other sections.

I have considered putting a forum on here called Flame Wars for those who want to vent and rant.

Any opinions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom