Forum updated to latest version! (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:51
I have updated this forum to the latest version. Hopefully this will cut down on the amount of spam it gets.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 12:51
Jon,
I noted that when not logged in one needs to enter an image verification before search is active.
Why is that, what does it do.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've no idea what that is for, but the software developers have obviously put it there for a reason. Maybe a spam prevention thing.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 03:51
Also, Jon - It might be good to have at least a couple more moderators added to help with the maintenance. I sent SJ an email volunteering but haven't heard anything since he said he'd try to contact you. I've been here on the site since about 1997 or 1998 (I even remember the software change that happened back in about 2001 as that's why it says I've been a member since then).

R

Rich

Far from cutting down on spam, the new version seems to encourage it

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I thought it was Kens job (as a moderator) to delete all these stupid adverts for phones etc.

Typical Yanks, give them a job and they can't manage it:rolleyes:

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I'm thinking of changing the forum marked General to something else as it's obvious that a number of bots go in search of that term. Any ideas, in order to test my theory?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
How about "Other" or "Non-specified" or "Generic"

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Or "Universal" or "All about databases" ?

Looking a the number of rubbish (mobiles and stuff, not the treads ) in the watercooler, you might even consider changing the name of that section as well.

Last edited:

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
You two sure are stress inducing.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Stewart, I just noted that you're now Administrator. Congratulations.
Does that mean that you can change the forum in all aspects or you still have limited rights ?

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
rak - He's been an administrator for quite some time now.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Does that mean that you can change the forum in all aspects or you still have limited rights ?

I can change so much but I'm supposed to consult Jon before making any major decisions. I don't think my putting the ASP and PHP forums as subsections of the Web Design forum is major. And I don't think renaming the General forum is major either. (Or my merging of the PDA and Phones forums to Gadgets.)

I can add/edit/remove/move forums, set members' permissions, and do what I want with all your posts. I can't, however, add upgrades or plugins, as these require files to be uploaded to the site's server, which I don't have access to.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Bob,
I didn't notice up till now, but that's a good thing.
Any change that you might be pulled in as a moderator, appearantly Ken and Pat are less around these days.

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Any change that you might be pulled in as a moderator, appearantly Ken and Pat are less around these days.
Lol. I made bob a mod yesterday. ;)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Bob,
I didn't notice up till now, but that's a good thing.

:) That's who I was going to suggest, seeing as he seems to be around more consistently than anyone else these days...

Thanks, I appreciate the vote of confidence.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
And for the record, I've already noticed a couple of spam posts that were gone within minutes. Good work Bob!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom