Greetings everyone! (1 Viewer)

mcomp72

Local time
Today, 01:49
Hi all! Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Matt and I live in Los Angeles. I've been developing in Excel for a few years now, so I know VBA in Excel pretty well. (I created a budgeting file that is used for projects such as TV commercials.)

I attempted to make a database with Access a few years ago, and found that I couldn't figure it all out. I did get something working enough for it to be useful, but I never quite understood everything well enough to eliminate certain errors from sometimes happening. It was my first experience with creating a database, and I think I may not have grasped some of the more advanced concepts well enough.

A few days ago I decided to try creating a new database; this one for my Dad, to keep track of golf scores and money collected for a senior amateur group he is a part of. I had created an Excel system for him, and it works okay, but it really would be better if it was a database system. So... I'm trying to create the same kind of system in Access.

I have started the database, and have some of it working okay, but I've run into some things that I can't yet figure out. I always start with Googling about the issue, then read forum posts here and at other sites, and some of the times I'm able to find solutions. But sometimes I'm not. So I'll post here anytime I can't figure it out.

Other than that, I'm a fan of visual entertainment, so I watch movies & TV a lot, and go see plays occasionally. The other thing I like to do is code. The only language I know is VBA, so my coding knowledge is very limited, but I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out how to get the computer to do what I want it to do.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:49
Welcome to Access World! We're so happy to have you join us as a member of our community. As the most active Microsoft Access discussion forum on the internet, with posts dating back more than 20 years, we have a wealth of knowledge and experience to share with you.

We're a friendly and helpful community, so don't hesitate to ask any questions you have or share your own experiences with Access. We're here to support you and help you get the most out of this powerful database program.

To get started, we recommend reading the post linked below. It contains important information for all new users of the forum:

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We hope you have a great time participating in the discussion and learning from other Access enthusiasts. We look forward to having you around!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome Matt, from west of you in Nevada. ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:49
First and foremost: Hello, Matt, and welcome to the forum.

Now, the most COMMON problem (certainly not the only one) is converting from an EXCEL environment to an ACCESS environment. The EXCEL world is a world of flat-files and grids that are loosely coupled to each other. In ACCESS, there is more.

To best understand the differences, understand that ACCESS is a relational database and thus can be used to exploit natural relationships found in real-world data. Part of the craziness is the process of database normalization. Therefore, may I respectfully suggest that you should do some reading if you are not already comfortable with this topic.

You can search this forum for topics on normalization because this IS a database site. However, if you want to do a general web search to find some tutorials or reading matter, search for "database normalization" because without the word "database" in the search, you would also turn up many articles on chemistry, mathematics, diplomacy, medicine, psychiatry, and many other disciplines that also use the word "normalization" for something. If you don't understand normalization, you will find yourself getting very confused very quickly.

mcomp72

Local time
First and foremost: Hello, Matt, and welcome to the forum.

Now, the most COMMON problem (certainly not the only one) is converting from an EXCEL environment to an ACCESS environment. The EXCEL world is a world of flat-files and grids that are loosely coupled to each other. In ACCESS, there is more.

To best understand the differences, understand that ACCESS is a relational database and thus can be used to exploit natural relationships found in real-world data. Part of the craziness is the process of database normalization. Therefore, may I respectfully suggest that you should do some reading if you are not already comfortable with this topic.

You can search this forum for topics on normalization because this IS a database site. However, if you want to do a general web search to find some tutorials or reading matter, search for "database normalization" because with the word "database" in the search, you would also turn up many articles on chemistry, mathematics, diplomacy, medicine, psychiatry, and many other disciplines that also use the word "normalization" for something. If you don't understand normalization, you will find yourself getting very confused very quickly.
Thanks for the tip! I will search that and read up on it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom