Gun laws do they work (2 Viewers)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 08:39
The people who commit serial or mass shooting are mentally ill. It's estimated that 1% of the population is affected with schizophrenia or some form of paranoia, a small segment of them will commit violent crime. Dealing directly with these individuals would be easier than taking away the guns from the 99% IMHO.

BTW in most cases these individuals have had numerous contacts with police and health care agencies.

Its like our illegal alien problem, do you really want to try and deport 12 million people or do you want to deal with the 1%.

The point that gun supporters refuse to accept is that killing, especially mass killing, is made easier by the availability of guns, and the fact that it is going to be far from easy to get any meaningful control is no excuse for not wanting it.

Brian

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:39
The point that gun supporters refuse to accept is that killing, especially mass killing, is made easier by the availability of guns, and the fact that it is going to be far from easy to get any meaningful control is no excuse for not wanting it.

Brian
I don't pretend to have a solution, I just hope the two extremes can find common ground in which to start the conversation.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 03:39
One thing everyone should keep in mind is that, let's face it, the Australian approach to the problem would only touch off a civil war.

I'm serious.

Look at D7A and Blade. Look at their posts on the topic. There is a sizable minority of residents here - I'd say as much as 25% - who can absolutely be relied upon to resist any attempt at gun forfeiture and seizure with lethal force. Most, but not all, have bought into the right-wing argument that the federal government is just salivating at any opportunity to throw out the Constitution and put a 1984-style totalitarian regime up in its place, and the first step in that narrative is ALWAYS disarming the populace.

So if a law ever gets passed outlawing any type of firearm currently legal here, a large portion of the nation (including probably HALF of all law enforcement) would literally rise up in rebellion were it to be enforced. There would literally be warfare in the streets, and since there are over 300,000,000 civilian-owned firearms in this nation, you can imagine the carnage.

You anti-American assholes like spike and Colin think America is chaos now? That would show you a whole new definition of the word, and with the way the entire world's economy relies on the American economy, anarchy here would utterly wreck the entire global economy.

So I'm afraid a solution is going to have to be found that does NOT rely on getting guns out of folks' hands, no matter how much the idea may hurt your feels.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
We probably already know who the next shooter is. Male 16-50 loner, encounters with police and mental health. Oh and he has a record of buying guns. Start profiling and at least remove a few hundred guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

BTW most if not all guns purchased by the mentally ill are purchased legally. Maybe we need a Rorschach test to buy a gun.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Dude, were you around for the furor over the Brady bill? A law to impose a 7-day waiting period on gun purchases wound up a massive political battle (the NRA, of course, called it merely the first step in the disarmament of America) before finally getting passed. And that was inspired by one of Washington's own getting caught in the crossfire of the Reagan assassination attempt.

A bill to require a psych exam? Never going to happen.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
One thing everyone should keep in mind is that, let's face it, the Australian approach to the problem would only touch off a civil war.

I'm serious.

Look at D7A and Blade. Look at their posts on the topic. There is a sizable minority of residents here - I'd say as much as 25% - who can absolutely be relied upon to resist any attempt at gun forfeiture and seizure with lethal force. Most, but not all, have bought into the right-wing argument that the federal government is just salivating at any opportunity to throw out the Constitution and put a 1984-style totalitarian regime up in its place, and the first step in that narrative is ALWAYS disarming the populace.

So if a law ever gets passed outlawing any type of firearm currently legal here, a large portion of the nation (including probably HALF of all law enforcement) would literally rise up in rebellion were it to be enforced. There would literally be warfare in the streets, and since there are over 300,000,000 civilian-owned firearms in this nation, you can imagine the carnage.

You anti-American assholes like spike and Colin think America is chaos now? That would show you a whole new definition of the word, and with the way the entire world's economy relies on the American economy, anarchy here would utterly wreck the entire global economy.

So I'm afraid a solution is going to have to be found that does NOT rely on getting guns out of folks' hands, no matter how much the idea may hurt your feels.
Good post, and thanks for the compliment, but I can't agree with your assessment of Col, inside he's a pretty good guy.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
We probably already know who the next shooter is. Male 16-50 loner, encounters with police and mental health. Oh and he has a record of buying guns. Start profiling and at least remove a few hundred guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

BTW most if not all guns purchased by the mentally ill are purchased legally. Maybe we need a Rorschach test to buy a gun.

Good Post: The problem is not guns. The problem is culture. It is terrible what happened in OR, but the same thing happens every day in some cities, why isn't the big "O" going after that problem?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You anti-American assholes like spike and Colin think America is chaos now?

Interesting that your limited vocabulary resorts to vulgarity and childish name calling.
Shame really, your posts could be interesting if you spent a while using your one brain cell.

Basically, all you are doing is confirming what we think of Americans, so thanks for that.

Col

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Good Post: The problem is not guns. The problem is culture. It is terrible what happened in OR, but the same thing happens every day in some cities, why isn't the big "O" going after that problem?
You are right Dick, by the same token you have to be pretty sick to pull the trigger on innocent people.

Either way every time a Politian opens their mouth about gun control, sales skyrocket.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
You are right Dick, by the same token you have to be pretty sick to pull the trigger on innocent people.

Either way every time a Politian opens their mouth about gun control, sales skyrocket.
Interesting! Maybe we have to check to see if the big "O" has stock in the gun manufactures.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

You're right Dick, the problem is the American culture, so the only solution is to kill all Americans and the problem is solved.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time

Actually, every time there's a mass shooting, gun sales skyrocket; they get sales spikes before Washington even responds. That would happen even if the politicians didn't say a word (as if...).

BERTHA, SOMEONE SHOT UP THE COLLEGE! TIME TO BUY ANOTHER SHOTGUN!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
There are accidents and deaths on the roads but we don't just say it is the culture and do nothing.
There are lessons and tests before one gets a licence to drive.
Manufacturers make technical advances to make cars safer.
Roads have restrictions
All of this is monitored on a daily basis by law enforcement.

Suggest any of this for guns and the gun lovers go ballistic and shout that "they want to take our guns away"

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
You're right Dick, the problem is the American culture, so the only solution is to kill all Americans and the problem is solved.

Brian

Honestly, that part is one of the few areas where I agree with Dick. If we could get, say, half the violence off TV that we have now and maybe learn to start resolving conflicts in non-violent ways more often, and do more to help those with mental issues, it's quite likely there'd be a drop in shootings.

There would also be a large drop in shootings if we could get poverty shrinking rather than growing.

You know, work on eliminating the things that make people want to commit murder.

But maybe you Brits are right and it's the guns MAKING Americans kill each other. :rolleyes:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
There are accidents and deaths on the roads but we don't just say it is the culture and do nothing.
There are lessons and tests before one gets a licence to drive.
Manufacturers make technical advances to make cars safer.
Roads have restrictions
All of this is monitored on a daily basis by law enforcement.

Suggest any of this for guns and the gun lovers go ballistic and shout that "they want to take our guns away"

Brian

Yeah, that's where the battle lines are drawn right now. The liberals and progressives want to try to do something along that line, while the conservatives are adamantly opposed to any form of licensing or restrictions on a wide-spread level. And with the amount of money behind the NRA (EVERY gun manufacturer gives them wads of cash) they have enough congresscritters in their pocket that there will NEVER be further gun control while the NRA exists.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Thanks to Citizens United, American is now the land where you can have all the Democracy you can buy! Ain't it grand?

:vomit:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Well Froth my post was somewhat tongue in cheek, and I agree that things need to be addressed in many areas, it's the fact that they won't even consider any form of meaningful control or dialogue that I find so appalling.

BTW That long ago series "The A Team" was considered one of the most dangerous on TV by analysts over here, why? Because millions of rounds were fired, cars were spectacularly crashed, and no one, not even the bad guys, ever got a scratch.

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Honestly, that part is one of the few areas where I agree with Dick. If we could get, say, half the violence off TV that we have now and maybe learn to start resolving conflicts in non-violent ways more often, and do more to help those with mental issues, it's quite likely there'd be a drop in shootings.

There would also be a large drop in shootings if we could get poverty shrinking rather than growing.

You know, work on eliminating the things that make people want to commit murder.

But maybe you Brits are right and it's the guns MAKING Americans kill each other. :rolleyes:

ENABLING is about right. What's this latest clearly troubled fella doing with 13 guns. Sorry but its nothing short of idiotic to allow it.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Oh, I know it was tongue-in-cheek, but I'm sure spike and Colin thought it a wonderful idea. :p

And you're probably right, but my whole family and I loved the show when I was a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom