Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 11:07
Interesting! Maybe we have to check to see if the big "O" has stock in the gun manufactures.

I'm still puzzled as to how "the big O" (Roy Orbison) can have a bearing on this discussion.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
maybe he's getting mixed up with Phil Spector.

I asked 6 people as to what Americans called "the big O", 4 are convinced it is Roy Orbison, one thought it was what they called Oregon where they shot people last week and one thought it could be O for Obama.

I do wish Americans on this site would use non abbreviated words then we can all try to understand what the devil they are on about.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:07
I do wish Americans on this site would use non abbreviated words then we can all try to understand what the devil they are on about.

Colin, I do my best, but I work for the U.S. Military where if they didn't use God-awful abbreviations they couldn't afford to put signs on the doors. Using these abbreviations is a habit one forms to survive in a "Gov-speak" environment.

For example, COMSUBPACFLT is the Pacific Submarine Fleet Command office. NAVRESINFOSYSOFF is the United States Naval Reserve Information Systems Office. And I work at SPAWARNEDCNO, Space and Naval Warfare Command Systems, Naval Enterprise Data Center, New Orleans.

The worst part is that I have learned the right way to pronounce the abbreviations so that the military folks and the uncivil service and understand me.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

Abbreviations and achronyms are common and used by us all, think MODEM RADAR it's local idioms that can be the problem, but in this case anybody with a brain cell following the thread would have known whom Dick was alluding to.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 06:07
Well, to be fair, "The Big O" does have another common meaning that isn't about politics....

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Abbreviations and achronyms are common and used by us all, think MODEM RADAR it's local idioms that can be the problem, but in this case anybody with a brain cell following the thread would have known whom Dick was alluding to.

Brian

Yes I know, I was always a big fan of Roy.

Did you know he had a very rare 5 octave voice range, equalled only by the great Carrusso?

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Got me there, he was the last noun so my pronoun would refer to him, but no I meant Roy Orbison.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Got me there, he was the last noun so my pronoun would refer to him, but no I meant Roy Orbison.

Brian

I have the film of him in concert - the black and white one, Ronnie Tutt on drums, Bruce Springsteen on guitar, Elvis Costello on accustic, James Burton on lead, absolutely brilliant.

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
BAck on topic.

This story illustrates to me why the US needs to restrict the number of guns floating around.

Something needs to be done.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I asked 6 people as to what Americans called "the big O", 4 are convinced it is Roy Orbison, one thought it was what they called Oregon where they shot people last week and one thought it could be O for Obama.

Col

By me using the big "O" there is less chance of me attracting the secret service.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
By me using the big "O" there is less chance of me attracting the secret service.

Dick, I hate to break it to you, but you're not important enough for the government to track every mention of the word Obama by you. Now if you put the words "Obama assassination gun bomb sniper kill president" all in one post, that might possibly flag something in the datacenter outside Langley, but even then it takes more to be brought to a living human's attention.

All you're doing here is waving your paranoia around for everyone to see.

Fake Edit: I was badmouthing Bush Jr since he started talking publicly about invading Iraq, so I'm long-since in their system. Back in my LiveJournal days, I even used a tool that tracked who visited my LJ, and I had daily visits from a Langley IP address that never posted. I'm sure I'm marked as a subversive somewhere for raging publicly about all the various bullshit things Bush did (and attending a number of protests against the Iraq war).

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
BAck on topic.

This story illustrates to me why the US needs to restrict the number of guns floating around.

Something needs to be done.

Well, for starters, we need to do something with an eleven year-old who thinks it's acceptable to murder someone for not showing him a puppy.

And personally, I'd say the parents need to be charged as well, because they were negligent in leaving the gun accessible by the 11 y/o.

This really falls back on the culture argument, though. Remember what I posted a couple pages back about what the ACTUAL results of attempting to disarm folks would be.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dick, I hate to break it to you, but you're not important enough for the government to track every mention of the word Obama by you. Now if you put the words "Obama assassination gun bomb sniper kill president" all in one post, that might possibly flag something in the datacenter outside Langley, but even then it takes more to be brought to a living human's attention.

All you're doing here is waving your paranoia around for everyone to see.

Fake Edit: I was badmouthing Bush Jr since he started talking publicly about invading Iraq, so I'm long-since in their system. Back in my LiveJournal days, I even used a tool that tracked who visited my LJ, and I had daily visits from a Langley IP address that never posted. I'm sure I'm marked as a subversive somewhere for raging publicly about all the various bullshit things Bush did (and attending a number of protests against the Iraq war).

All you're doing here is waving your paranoia around for everyone to see. You got that right!!!!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Yeah, that wasn't meant as a compliment. :p

Also, this made me laugh:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I know you didn't mean it as a compliment, but I am sure you know that in my circle we would have a good laugh over it. WITHOUT APOLOGY.

Well, I suppose admitting you're insane is the first step in addressing your paranoia about something that has literally zero chance of ever happening. There is no one who is going to go "That Dick7Access mentioned Obama on a programmers' discussion board - go take him out."

Let me know where to send the tin foil for your hats.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom