Hail Mary... (2 Viewers)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 08:33
I need help AWF...what to get my wife for our 10 year anniversary. She isnt big on jewelry, flowers or spas. She is very simple and I could easily get by just making dinner and a homemade card...

But I want to do more...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
It's a little late but the tickets could serve as a place holder...not a bad idea...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:33
Well, traditionally you would obtain something with a high content of either tin or aluminum. My wife, being so insanely practical, loved that I bought her some aluminum skillets for our 10th. I asked her what she wanted, she told me, and I got it. Though later she DID mention that she never thought I would be QUITE so literal-minded. Now, as we have passed the 25th anniversary, she knows to not give me a suggestion if she does not intend for me to implement it.

AngelSpeaks

Local time
I need help AWF...what to get my wife for our 10 year anniversary. She isnt big on jewelry, flowers or spas. She is very simple and I could easily get by just making dinner and a homemade card...

But I want to do more...
What are her hobbies?

AngelSpeaks

Local time
Well, traditionally you would obtain something with a high content of either tin or aluminum. My wife, being so insanely practical, loved that I bought her some aluminum skillets for our 10th. I asked her what she wanted, she told me, and I got it. Though later she DID mention that she never thought I would be QUITE so literal-minded. Now, as we have passed the 25th anniversary, she knows to not give me a suggestion if she does not intend for me to implement it.
Doc, my hubby is the same way. I have to be very careful about what I say to him. One year, he got me a Cuisinart because I mentioned how I used to use the old one (that broke) to make double baked potatoes and he wanted double baked potatoes! Then there are things that he has that he thinks I should have, ie, Water Pik. So I always make sure that I email him links to whatever toys (aka photography equipment) that I want.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:33
How about creating a memory? Perhaps an activity you haven't done before? zip wire? horse riding? jet skiing? laser quest?

Harrybrigham

Local time
There are some doubts about using aluminium for cooking utensils. Apparently acidic food can react with the metal. I don't know how true this is, but I felt that I should mention it Doc Man.

KitaYama

Local time
Today, 21:33
My wife has hey fever and is allergic to metal. It made my life much easier. From the first day I met her, flower, jewelry and accessories were out of my list.
Once I gave her a red dress for her birthday. She thanked me and pretend she likes it, but never used it. It's still in her closet. So dresses were out of the list too.
She loves eating rare or other counties food. So for our anniversary, I usually take her to a restaurant for dinner. It has almost become a tradition for us. She likes to be surprised. So I only make sure 1-She doesn't know were I'm taking her. 2-What will be served. 3-It has a romantic view.
I have a reservation for our next anniversary in an Tahitian restaurant.

For her birthday, Christmas or other events I normally ask her what she wants. She asked for an Aibo for her last birthday.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Wow...didn't expect so many responses so quickly. I did leave out one VERY important detail: The day is March 29th which leaves me only 6 days.

Well, traditionally you would obtain something with a high content of either tin or aluminum.
Funny thing is, due to my inability to do math, I gave her the traditional 10th year gift LAST year so that is out...

What are her hobbies?
She loves to do puzzles which gives me an idea for next year: Take one of her favorite pics and make a puzzle out of it. Just gotta remember to give myself some time...

Who doesn't like twice baked potatoes 😋
Nobody I want to associate with...low-lifes for certain.
How about creating a memory? Perhaps an activity you haven't done before? zip wire? horse riding? jet skiing? laser quest?
Not a bad idea, just gotta give myself some time to plan. We did the zip wire thing a few years - and a LOT of pounds lighter - ago when we were in Vegas. The only horse I would subject to my 250+ lb arse to would be a Clydesdale. She is afraid of water so that is out! Great idea...the suggestions, no so much! She would LOVE another trip to Scotland but that isn't happening until things get a little closer to normal again. Her linage is German but Scotland is where her heart is...

So for our anniversary, I usually take her to a restaurant for dinner.
That usually worked in the past. But eating out in the US is a huge disappointment after spending so many years abroad. I could go on for days on that subject...

Shortly after I made the initial post, I checked to see what day the 29th is and it is a Tuesday which is one of our bowling nights. The light bulb came on so here it is:

She has been busting my balls/taking the piss for almost 10 years about how we got married. The ceremony was great and all but she claims I never formally asked her - and she is right - it just came up in conversation and we just did it.

So I texted our pastor and he is going to conveniently show up (the cake and flowers will already be there), and when he does, the proprietor will stop everything while I get down on one knee and "pop the question" in front of 80+ witnesses. Once she says yes (hopefully) our pastor (who married us the first time) will do some sort of vow-renewal thingy.

She will still find a way to blast me about the original faux pas but as far as I'm concerned I have atoned for my error.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
There are some doubts about using aluminium for cooking utensils. Apparently acidic food can react with the metal. I don't know how true this is, but I felt that I should mention it Doc Man.

True that, Harry, and as a chemist, I was aware of it. But these had a high-quality non-stick coating, one of the many Teflon variants, so they didn't expose us to aluminum "leaching" during high-temp cooking. Cheap copper pans would worry me more, as lead is a common imperfection in copper mining.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Something I did for my wife's 40th was to create a crossword puzzle, the words when put in order told her where to find her present. I was working in the US at the time and wouldn't be back so I arranged various friends to contact her and provide a few clues for her spread over the preceding two weeks for her to complete the puzzle. On her birthday I sent a message along the lines of "2a, 1d, 3d, etc".

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:33
My wife loves to travel. Unfortunately for a number of reasons, that has not been an option for a few years. Do not know if this was good tip or not.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Any fun place that reminds her of how your love story began.

oleronesoftwares

Passionate Learner
Local time
Something I did for my wife's 40th was to create a crossword puzzle, the words when put in order told her where to find her present. I was working in the US at the time and wouldn't be back so I arranged various friends to contact her and provide a few clues for her spread over the preceding two weeks for her to complete the puzzle. On her birthday I sent a message along the lines of "2a, 1d, 3d, etc".
She must like tasking her brain

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I love your solution. As another idea, I made my wife cry when I surprised her with ballroom dancing lessons for us. I have 2 left feet but we had a lot of fun laughing at ourselves.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I love your solution. As another idea, I made my wife cry when I surprised her with ballroom dancing lessons for us. I have 2 left feet but we had a lot of fun laughing at ourselves.
Hey there Paul, Missy once mentioned taking ball room dancing lessons but I live in Hicksville USA. Barroom Brawling is more likely to be the case...

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
As it happened, I had taken ballroom dancing through the Arthur Murray organization as a way for me to learn to socialize more effectively. Made it through their Silver standard but stopped after that (because I wasn't interested in "showcase" dancing.) When I met my wife at a church-sponsored ballroom dance experience, I was able to dance her around the floor and lead her through a lot of simple variations. She later admitted I had pretty much swept her off her feet, at least figuratively speaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom