Happy Canada Day (1 Viewer)

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Today, 13:34
I wish a happy Canada Day to all my friends from Canada. Altough I never felt like a true member of this country, I must admit that most Canadians I met, here on IRL, always tried to make me feel welcome and, while trying to convince me of the benefits from being united, always respected my choice.

It is something that Canada should be very proud of. In no other country will you find a political party working to dismantle the country be accepted amongst the other political parties.

Although I always wanted to separate from you, I always have a great respect to Canadians. You are more than neighbourgs, you are our friends. You became our adoptive parents when France left us alone. It may not has been always perfect, but I know that you did your best. And for trying, I thank you all.

Happy Canada Day!
Fifty2one
Statsman
KKilfoil
yippie_ky_yay
lagbolt
And to all others that I may have forget.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Because I am not French. I am Quebecois. A nice mix of French, British, Irish, native and American. I am as French as an American is British. We are of a distinct nation, not Canadian, not American, not French. We are Quebecois, living in a great country named Canada which has received us for 140 years. Even if it wasn't always perfect, we are greatful for what Canada has been. The fact that we want to go on a separate path isn't an act of war against Canada, neither even an angry separation. We want to have a country for our nation. A country that could go further, hand in hand with Canada as well as with UK, USA, etc.

But enough about this... I only wanted to honor the Canadians and wish them a good Canada Day.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 19:34
The fact that we want to go on a separate path isn't an act of war against Canada, neither even an angry separation. We want to have a country for our nation. A country that could go further, hand in hand with Canada as well as with UK, USA, etc.

Sounds like the Belgiums. Vlaanderen to separate from Wallonie. But that's for a reason ; Vlaanderen generates approx. 70% of the country's Bruto National Income.
Would that be the reason for the Quebecois to seperate from Canada ?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:34
Would that be the reason for the Quebecois to seperate from Canada ?

Probobly the same as the Catalonians want to separate from the rest of Castillian Spain - money. Catalonia has the wealthiest sector in Spain, they hate passing it to central government in Madrid.

In other words, they're a selfish lot who care little for the rest of the country.

Quebec has always struck me as a snobby place that looks down on the rest of Canada - I've never been, but thats the impression they give.

Col

statsman

Local time
Best returns of the day "Newman".

It's amazing how little these others understand Canada and how it works. That can be a good thing however. Keeps out the riff raff.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
I can already hear GWB's troops coming in.

Wonder if it is to ask you to leave us alone in the name of freedom or to get rid of us, terrorists of the Al-Qaibec.:D

Alberta has the black gold, so they'll probably be on our side.;)

As for the British, they'll be on your side since we want to get rid of the British crown.

And for the French, I hope they'll be on your side. We don't want to loose the war.:D

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
We want to have a country for our nation.

I still don't get it... You have a country for your nation, it's called province Quebec in Canada :eek: :confused:

I thought that A Mari Usque Ad Mare was the motto over there. ?

Last edited:

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Our country is Canada. We have to go with the laws voted by the majority of Canadians, which are often not what we want in Quebec. There is two ways we can get to have our own laws:
-We can get a veto for our province, which means that we would have the right to have a law in our province that would go against a law in Canada. As an exemple, it could be legal to smoke drugs in Quebec while forbidden in Canada.
-We separate and do as we please, being entirely free to make our own laws.

Most Canadians are against the fact that we could split from them. As for the veto, many Canadians are for it, some even wanted to have a veto to, but many are strongly against it saying that we have to go by their laws.

Like every where in the world, the problem is often with a minority of extremists, from both sides. Like those Canadians who came to the St-Jean's parade with their Canadian flags or those Quebecers who went to Ottawa on Canada Day with upside-down Canadian flags or flags full of graffiti.

And that's all you get to see on TV. They won't tell that some separatists like myself have Canadian friends. After all, I am here on an English forum. I sent my best wishes to my friends from Canada on Canada Day. I speak English with all the Canadians, British and Americans who come to visit my home town. I've been living one year in Alberta and one year in Ontario, two English provinces. Over there, I've always spoken in English and made a lot of friends even though I never hide my origins and political convictions.

I think it is very bad that people don't see what it realy is like in other countries. Just like those American flaming UK or British flaming USA. Never been to UK, but did many visits to the USA and it is far from what we see on TV.
Message to Col: Come take a bike ride in "La Belle Province" and we'll see what you'll think after your visit. We aren't snob at all. Very far from it. Some even say that we are too low-profile. And as for the money, it sure does have some impact on the fact that we want to get out of Canada, but it is a fairly small bit. Alberta is far more rich than we are. And Ontario and BC are as wealthy, if not more, as Quebec. It is not about keeping the money to ourself, but about the right to choose what to do with it.

Michael J Ross

Registered User.
Local time
As an English person who visited Quebec last year I agree with what Newman has said about snobbery in Quebec.

I did have some concerns before I visited as i had heard the people were as snobbish who would only converse in French even though they could speak English. However I had no problems whatsoever and found the Quebec people to be like most Canadians I've met, generally friendly.

Montreal is a cultural experience and Quebec City is a wonderful city, I'd say to people that have never been but have a negative opinion on it to go pay a visit, find out for yourselves.

My only bug bear is the insistence that all signage has to be in French.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Message to Col: Come take a bike ride in "La Belle Province" and we'll see what you'll think after your visit. We aren't snob at all. Very far from it. Some even say that we are too low-profile.
I'm not arguing, I just said thats the impression we get (as Michael has confirmed)

It's all down to the French, it's their fault - they are the snobby arrogant lot of Europe, they hate everyone and are doing everything they can to disrupt things.
The Brits hate the French and they hate us - we've been at war with them for 900 years until comparitively recently.

Because Quebec thinks it's French (when it is actually part of Canada and the British Commonwealth), then Quebec people get tarred with the same brush as the frogs I suppose.
I did read somewhere ages ago that Quebec will always want the opposite of the rest of Canada, just to be difficult (like the Frogs)

Col

R

Rich

Our country is Canada. We have to go with the laws voted by the majority of Canadians, which are often not what we want in Quebec. There is two ways we can get to have our own laws:

That's a gripe many have around the world including England, to demand independance just to get your own way seems rather childish

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
I think it is very bad that people don't see what it realy is like in other countries.

I don't want to sound pedantic, but having visited Canada quite a number of times, I figure I've a pretty good impression of what your country is.
I have been at various places like Quebec, Montreal, Trois Rivieres, Sault St Marie, Calgary and the like and really appreciate the folks over there. There's still a sense of European influences, more than in the USA.
Also the country side in Canada is one of the most beautifull in the whole world.
The only trouble I had is communicating in French ; my command of the French language is reasonable, but I had a hard time understanding the Quebecois when trying to speak french with them. ;)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
-We can get a veto for our province, which means that we would have the right to have a law in our province that would go against a law in Canada.
So basically if you don't agree with "Canada" you do your own thing anyway.

A bit like the Yanks ignoring UN resolutions and Kyoto etc. and to hell with everyone.

It's a shame Quebec has become so American influenced. Maybe Quebec should move over to France then you can all be difficult together.

Col

Newman

Québécois
Local time
It's a shame Quebec has become so American influenced.Col

I agree with you. It is so hard not to get influenced by their culture. We feel so small by their side. Quebec has managed to thrive the last few years with music, movies, circus, etc. Our parents had to fight hard to keep our culture alive and the results are amazing for such a small society, so close to the big sparkling American culture. I just hope that to protect ourselves we won't fall in the trap of transforming into them.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I agree with you. . . . . .I just hope that to protect ourselves we won't fall in the trap of transforming into them.
So do I - but it's a lost battle already, many countries are hoping the same thing. They don't want to lose their culture for a country that has none

It's like a virus - good luck

Col

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
So do I - but it's a lost battle already, many countries are hoping the same thing. They don't want to lose their culture for a country that has none

It's like a virus - good luck

Col

Nothing quite like throwing gasoline on a fire, is there, Col... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom