Hello from Switzerland (1 Viewer)

ChrisDaSwiss

Local time
Today, 13:39
Hi
My name is Chris(toph) and I restarted working with Access in Mai because I found a job as a controller and that is what I am supposed to do. I started programming in the 90s on apple macs with Think Pascal. I love music and I graduated as a music therapist in 2016, but could only find a job for one full year and so I am back in a job area in which I had worked last in 2003.

A little bit late:
good luck to everyone in 2018

Cheers, Christoph

PS: my mother tongue is (Swiss) German, but I know some English and French. my Italian is rather bad ... and I forgot most of my Chinese and Japanese

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:39
Greetings, ChrisDaSwiss a.k.a. Christoph

My mother tongue is suburban USA English, which is to say "all over the place" - though being from south Louisiana, at least a little Cajun creeps in now and then.

I'm retired now, but for years I was a systems administrator, systems analyst, device-driver writer, systems programmer, systems security implementer, and chief crooked bottle washer for various companies, including 28+ years as a contractor with the U.S. Dept. of Defense. We used Access in many ways. My biggest project was to help our department manage over 80 projects with over 1200 non-classified machines. We also managed several hundred classified machines, but I can't talk about that too much.

I'm interested in your "music therapist" job. Is that where you take music as a way to "calm the savage beast" within us? Or do you find angry rap music and help it regain perspective?

- Richard :p

ChrisDaSwiss

Local time
Today, 13:39
Hi Richard

Your "job" sounds very intriguing and exciting.

Music therapy is very complex and depends on the field you are working in. You could be working with people whose communication skills have been diminished (or not developed very much yet), as for instance with newly Borns, people in a coma or people with combined disabilities, who can't really talk nor move much. Or you could as I did work with people whose reason for treatment is a bodily injury like paraplegics and representing the whole range of people.
The term music in music therapy is much broader, essentially meaning expressing thoughts, subconscious "content", emotions, etc. through sound. What fascinates me is that "music" is a means of expression which can be connected much more directly to our un- and subconscious and less censored than language, because it derives from brain development which took place around (or before) language capabilities are/were developed . And I think we don't have to tame the beast, but can let it express itself in music therapy in a "non-destructive" way.

I hope I wasn't rambling too much, but music (and music therapy) is very dear to me and my relationship with it is very complex, as I had wanted to become a musician in my childhood, but didn't "know" how to fight for my dreams.

Cheers, Christoph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom