Hi! I'm Adelina and I need some help :) (1 Viewer)

Adelina_RO

Local time
Today, 10:26
So, here it goes: i've been using Access since the 97 version (yeah, I'm old...), but only recently i had the need to use a MariaDB server as the backend and I'm stomped...
I've been trying to make a pass-through query to append some rows in the said backend to noavail...
This is the situation:
I have a [tmpClient] local table in Access frontend which contains about 2K rows and i want to append the [Client] table which is located on the server but is linked in the frontend.
I can use the "Execute" statement of currentdb, but it takes too long (~1 min), so... no.
So i thought of using pass-t query to let the server do all the work, but when i use the query "INSERT INTO Client (IdClient, CNP, Nume, NumeAsociat) SELECT tmpClient.IdClient, tmpClient.CNP, tmpClient.Nume, tmpClient.NumeAsociat FROM tmpClienti" it doesn't work, because it expects the [tmpClient] to be on the server as well.
This brings me to the question at hand:
Can i use a pass-t query to append a MariaDB table with data extracted from a local (access) table?
Thank you in advance! :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:26
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 00:26
Welcome!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
To answer your question, the short answer is no for the reason you stated.

you can pass the values of each record by creating a sql string in vba and executing that as a pass through on a record by record basis but suspect it won’t be any faster than using the execute method

another option is to use a stored procedure on Mariadb but again on a record by record basis, passing the field values as parameters

I’m not familiar with Mariadb but it may be possible to pass the recordset as an array

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Welcome! FYI, I moved your thread out of the introductions forum.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@Adelina_RO

A minute doesn't seem long if it's a one-off.
Are you doing this regularly with different data sets?

I see you have another thread running as well. Hopefully you will see this note, anyway.

lcarpay

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:26
Hi Adelina, I used SQL Server for this sample but there is no real difference in using MariaDB (except of course the specific features for each environment). The story: for performance reasons I had to take a subset of the records, resting on the server-side, to a local table and do the user GUI-magic locally. The parameters come from the user form.

Maybe it's helpful.

Code:
Private Sub RefreshListOfActivities()
  Const procName As String = "PlanAct.Form_Party_Invoice_frm.RefreshListOfActivities"
  On Error GoTo Err_Sub

Dim qdf As QueryDef
  Dim strSql As String

'lstActivitiesToInvoice
  Set qdf = CurrentDb.QueryDefs("GetPartyInvoice_LIST_ptqry")
  strSql = "exec pa.GetPartyInvoice_LIST " & _
              "@businessUnitId = " & Me!cbxBusinessUnit & ", " & _
              "@dateFrom = '" & Me!DateFrom & "', " & _
              "@dateTo = '" & Me!DateTo & "', " & _
              "@statusGroup = " & Me!cbxstatusGroup & ", " & _
              "@statusProjectActivity = " & Me!cbxStatusProjectActivity & ", " & _
              "@firstResponsibleId = " & Me!cbxFirstResponsible & ", " & _
              "@projectId = " & Me!cbxProject
  qdf.Sql = strSql
  qdf.Close
  Set qdf = Nothing

Call RunSql("delete * from _GetPartyInvoice_LIST;")
  strSql = "insert into _GetPartyInvoice_LIST (ActivityId, ProjectId, PartyId, InvoiceContactId, ActivityCustomerStatusId, VatId, Klant, Referentie, Contact, Datum, Opdracht, Project, Bedrag, Regels, GroepsNr) " & _
                                       "select ActivityId, ProjectId, PartyId, InvoiceContactId, ActivityCustomerStatusId, VatId, Klant, Referentie, Contact, Datum, Opdracht, Project, Bedrag, Regels, GroepsNr from GetPartyInvoice_LIST_ptqry;"

Call RunSql(strSql)
  Me!lstActivitiesToInvoice.RowSource = "_GetPartyInvoice_LIST"

Exit_Sub:
  On Error GoTo 0
  Exit Sub

Err_Sub:
  Call LogError(Err.Number, Err.Description, procName, , True)
  Resume Exit_Sub
End Sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom