Home Improvement. (1 Viewer)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Yesterday, 20:11
Rich said:
can't open them here:(

I was going to post them on the forum but they were too big and I couldn't make them smaller without making them so small that you couldn't really see anything.

ColinEssex said:
Its subtle Cindy :D

:rolleyes: :D

R

Rich

MrsGorilla said:
I was going to post them on the forum but they were too big and I couldn't make them smaller without making them so small that you couldn't really see anything.
100k jpeg should be good enough here:confused:

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:11
lmnop7854 said:
I like living with a proverbial blanket around me, especially in the winter, and carpet is the closest I can get to that.

Children's Health Environmental Coalition:

A great place to begin "childproofing" your home is your carpets and floors. Since our children are naturally low to the ground, the floor becomes the primary play space for young children.

Yet, carpets and rugs, like sponges, tend to both soak up and release pollutants.

Carpets and their pads are havens for dust mites, which have been shown to contribute to and worsen allergies and asthma. Other pollutants, such as pesticides, animal dander, lead dust, and chemicals from cleaners and other household products, can sink into the fibers, within easy access of children.
Synthetic carpeting contains many chemicals in its adhesives and glue strips, the underlay or rug pads, and additional chemical treatments from stain- to moth-proofing. Many of the chemicals used on carpets are volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which vaporize, or "offgass", easily into the air. Some VOCs found in carpets include benzene, styrene, toluene, xylene, and formaldehyde.

Nothing quite like adding carcinogens to the home environment for that "homey, warm feeling"...:rolleyes:

statsman

Local time
Yesterday, 21:11
I have discovered through some research that if you are having trouble with your contractor not finishing your renovation or doing a poor job, find out before you sign up who carries his liability insurance.
When the job is a complete **** up, go to the insurance company and tell THEM you're going to sue.
Most insurance companies have competent contractors on retainer. It's cheaper for the insurance company to assign the competent contractor to do the work to your satisfaction than to deal with the suit.

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Friday said:
Children's Health Environmental Coalition:

A great place to begin "childproofing" your home is your carpets and floors. Since our children are naturally low to the ground, the floor becomes the primary play space for young children.

Yet, carpets and rugs, like sponges, tend to both soak up and release pollutants.

Carpets and their pads are havens for dust mites, which have been shown to contribute to and worsen allergies and asthma. Other pollutants, such as pesticides, animal dander, lead dust, and chemicals from cleaners and other household products, can sink into the fibers, within easy access of children.
Synthetic carpeting contains many chemicals in its adhesives and glue strips, the underlay or rug pads, and additional chemical treatments from stain- to moth-proofing. Many of the chemicals used on carpets are volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which vaporize, or "offgass", easily into the air. Some VOCs found in carpets include benzene, styrene, toluene, xylene, and formaldehyde.

Nothing quite like adding carcinogens to the home environment for that "homey, warm feeling"...:rolleyes:

Well, I grew up on carpeting, and I don't have any allergies or asthma. Nor do I have any illnesses that I could attribute to the added carcinogens in the carpeting. I already have a dog, so the pet dander is stuck in the furniture, and on every surface I can find, including the tumbleweeds on the hard wood floor. Should I also get rid of the couch, which is a plush fabric? Then we could all sit on the nice cold hard floor, but still be breathing well, and in no danger of carcinogens or other harmful chemicals, except for in the water, air, and food we eat. :rolleyes:

Lisa

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:11
Oh the evils of carpet, I would probably be a better person if I just had not grown up on carpet! See Here or Here or
Here or Here or even Here

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:11
Since this is a Home Improvement thread, I thought I could post this here and might find some helps or ideas.

Our home has a small pantry room built under the staircase that has no lights. The builder told us that they could not put a light in there for safety reasons (city would not allow???). Now, my mom wants to have lights in it. I tried using battery-operated ones, didn't last too long and not as bright.

Is there any way to intall a light, run an additional electrical line in there? Does anyone have an idea? How do we detect an existing electrical in (in wall)?

Thank you all in advance.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
lmnop7854 said:
Well, I grew up on carpeting, and I don't have any allergies or asthma. Nor do I have any illnesses that I could attribute to the added carcinogens in the carpeting. :rolleyes:

Lisa

I wasn't diagnosed with a terminal illness until I was 49. ;)

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Friday said:
I wasn't diagnosed with a terminal illness until I was 49. ;)

I'm not being sarcastic - what would you attribute that to? Carcinogens in carpeting? In the air and water? Karma? Dust mites?

I am truly sympathetic regarding your illness, and I mean no disrespect to you, nor do I mean to belittle your situation. My father was recently diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease, and I will now get to watch him deteriorate from the vibrant man he once was, into a shell of that man. But would I attribute his disease to the chemicals in the air and in everything around me? I can't really justify that. Millions of other people live in the same environment and don't contract terminal diseases. It may be a factor, I can't prove or disprove it. Nor can I prove or disprove what is printed on the Internet warning me against these things. If I listened to everything I read, I would be living in a cave somewhere, or wind up like Howard Hughes.

Quite frankly, I attribute his disease to the years and years of his taking cholesterol medications that cause muscle wasting. He could have had a gene that predisposed him to this disease, and then the medications spurred it along. I told him when he first went on them 10-15 years ago that is was bullshit, and that he shouldn't take them, but he listened to his doctor over me (there is no proof that cholesterol medications significantly reduce the risk of heart attack - recent studies are now showing this). I will always wonder what would have happened if he had listened to me. And these were chemicals willingly ingested!!

Lisa

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
lmnop7854 said:
I'm not being sarcastic - what would you attribute that to? Carcinogens in carpeting? In the air and water? Karma? Dust mites?

What I meant was that many things in our everyday environment that can cause diseases usually need years and years of exposure before they would cause you a problem. Wasn't trying to be a sh*&t...

Just trying to be helpful. I worry about all my Access World friends...:)

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
I understand, and I am glad to see that we were able to not turn this into an argument!! I agree with you - everything we are exposed to takes a toll on us. I guess I am just choosing to expose myself to carpeting's harmful characteristics as opposed to any other harmful things. Not really sure if it will happen anyway, because I am sure that after Christmas, I won't have enough money to do it!!

Lisa

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
lmnop7854 said:
Not really sure if it will happen anyway, because I am sure that after Christmas, I won't have enough money to do it!!

Lisa

LOL !!!! :D :D :D :D

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Moved to current address September 2001.
1) Removed various built in bedroom furniture
2) Painted 4 bedrooms, Hall, Stairwell, lounge
3) Garden makeover
4) Built Pond
5) New windows
6) New Gutters, bargeboards
7) New kitchen (floor to ceiling)
8) Hall and entranceway remodelled
9) Bathroom rebuilt
10) Cloakroom rebuilt
11) Entrance porch rebuilt

Planned
1) New driveway (this month)
2) New boiler/heating system mods (September)
3) Whatever wife thinks of next

No I did not do it all... I just worked to supply finance

Len

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Like Len, we moved to our current address July 2001. At the time it looked like Centre Parks, everythng was wood! We both worked for the same firm and were made redundant in August 2001. It has taken nine years to get back on our feet and now, slowly but surely it is coming together...

1) Renovated guest toilet removing all wooden walls and ceilings (said room size 5 x 4!
2) Renovated bathroom removing wooden walls and ceilings, it no longer looks like a sauna.
3) Renovated the kitchen, re wired it - the last idiot had run normal size cable from a socket in the hall into the kitchen and plugged both washing machine and dishwasher into it! Naturally it blew up after a few months.
4) Removed floral wallpaper (and borders) from every room in the house!) painted all walls soft white.
5) Replaced wooden shuttering and sofits on the outside with upvc.
6) Replaced wooden sofits on garage with upvc
7) Complete garden make over
8) Removed and replaced wooden ceiling from entrance hall, it's now a beautiful white.
9) Replaced all council type flat doors with new white panelled ones.

Being married to a handy man is a blessing, although, he does take his own sweet time ;)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 18:11
next improvement ..
carpets......

again 2001 moved in
new kitchen/bathroom/central heating- new garden (re -landscaped)
doulbe glazing -painted house - patio down - new garden wall --new garage door

next on list (after carpet)
new fence for garden (otherside of garden - wall on one side fence onthe other )

- in the mean time - wine making - a surplus of damsens - so we are going to try and make damson wine -

would of gone for the plums but i keep eating them ...

thne new sofa /chairs

then possible an extention - depending on cost - as its cheaper to build than to move - A small extention costs about 15-20K - to move costs 5-7k and thats just the paper work ....
an extention of around 10-12 ft square would give a lot of extra room with some minor shuffling around of how the house works ...

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Yes I understand that women like men who are good with their hands.

Brian

Whilst yours is an accurate statement I have found that my wife believes that absolutely nothing is beyond my capabilities.

Whilst she is absolutely right in her belief it can sometimes be a burden.

as I am sure your are aware ;););)

Len

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom