How? Concatenate fields if Null/0 OR concatenate "these" fields instead if NOT null/0 (1 Viewer)

Minddumps

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:36
[SOLVED] How? Concatenate fields if Null/0 OR concatenate "these" fields instead if..

How? Concatenate fields if Null/0 OR concatenate "these" fields instead if NOT null/0

Ok, I'm a bit stuck on figuring this out. In fact I don't even know how to word it to look for the solution since nothing I've come across quite relates completely.

I'm trying to work on a mail merge and one of my query columns says:
Code:
NameFull: [AllPOCs**].[Title] & " " & [POC First] & " " & [MI] & " " & [POC Last]
However, for my Mail Merge expression, I'm wanting something like this:

MergeName: If [AllPOCs**].[Title] is not empty or null, then = [AllPOCs**].[Title] & " " & [POC Last], but if [AllPOCs**].[Title] IS EMPTY then = [POC First]
Anyone come across this type of issue before and can help me with the code?

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Re: How? Concatenate fields if Null/0 OR concatenate "these" fields instead if NOT nu

You can do this with a series of complicated IIf()'s or you can take advantage of the different concatenation properties of the + sign. The standard VBA concatenation character is the &. This operator ignores nulls so a & null will result in a. But the + respects nulls and so a + null results in null.

NameFull: ([AllPOCs**].[Title] + " ") & [POC First] & " " & ([MI] + " ") & [POC Last]

Notice the parentheses. You need to force the expression to be evaluated the way you need to get rid of the extraneous spaces.

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Re: How? Concatenate fields if Null/0 OR concatenate "these" fields instead if NOT nu

Is the asterisk a special character?

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:36

Is this what you are looking for ?
IIF([Title] & "" <> "" ; WhatToReturnForNotNullOrEmpty ; WhatToReturnForNullOrEmpt)

If not, where is the mistake ?

Minddumps

Registered User.
Local time

NameFull: ([AllPOCs**].[Title] + " ") & [POC First] & " " & ([MI] + " ") & [POC Last]

Thanks for that tip! I hadn't even noticed the extra spaces that the first bit left me with!

I'm still left with the issue however, that if a person has a Title I need it to reveal [Title, LastName] and if the person doesn't have a title inputted, I need the mail merge to show just [FirstName].

Do you by chance know how to do that??

Minddumps

Registered User.
Local time

Is the asterisk a special character?

Haha, no, that's because I was distinguishing this particular table from an ocean of others I had created. It was just so I could find it easier, by looking for the asterick.

Minddumps

Registered User.
Local time

Is this what you are looking for ?
IIF([Title] & "" <> "" ; WhatToReturnForNotNullOrEmpty ; WhatToReturnForNullOrEmpt)

If not, where is the mistake ?

Hmm, interesting attempt... but I'm told the expression entered contains invalid syntax. It doesn't seem to be accepting the semi-colons, but I'm not not educated enough in this subject to know for sure. Thanks for the try though!

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time

Hmm, interesting attempt... but I'm told the expression entered contains invalid syntax. It doesn't seem to be accepting the semi-colons, but I'm not not educated enough in this subject to know for sure. Thanks for the try though!

In the version of Access that I have, a Comma is the Proper separator for IIf() Statements. so try substituting Commas for the Semi-Colons and see what happens.

-- Rookie

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 02:36

I think the ; , issue is a country issue not an access version.

Brian

Minddumps

Registered User.
Local time

In the version of Access that I have, a Comma is the Proper separator for IIf() Statements. so try substituting Commas for the Semi-Colons and see what happens.

Wow!! I'm jumping for joy! My final attempt, changing ; to , worked!! It's always the simple things that kill me. I was trying to make it much too difficult in my previous attempts. Thank you!!!

For anyone else trying to figure out the issue, here's the working code:
Code:
MailMerge: IIf([AllPOCs**].[Title] & ""<>"",[AllPOCs**].[Title] & " " & [POC Last],[POC first])

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time

Wow!! I'm jumping for joy! My final attempt, changing ; to , worked!! It's always the simple things that kill me. I was trying to make it much too difficult in my previous attempts. Thank you!!!

For anyone else trying to figure out the issue, here's the working code:
Code:
MailMerge: IIf([AllPOCs**].[Title] & ""<>"",[AllPOCs**].[Title] & " " & [POC Last],[POC first])

Always glad to know that I can help out

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time

It doesn't seem to be accepting the semi-colons, but I'm not not educated enough in this subject to know for sure.
The formula is intended to work as definition for a field in a query, not in VBA.
In VBA you should replace semi-colons with commas.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

I don't know the situation in many countries but in the US and UK. You use commas in SQL and the QBE also. I think some of the Scandinavia countries use the semi-colon, maybe you do in Eastern Europe.

Brian

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time

I can only say what my Access accept. I Think that is not about the Country because I work in the same Access environment when I write formulas in VBA or when I write in query design window.
Exactly the same formula ask me for commas in VBA and for semicolons in query design window.
It is annoying because all the time I forget about semicolons.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

The syntax in VBA is probably the same the world over, hence we have to enter dates in US format, the Design Grid or QBE is a GUI ( graphical user interface) and accepts local style syntax.

Brian

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time

Do you by chance know how to do that??
Yes!!!! and my post #2 showed you how to do it by using the + instead of the & as a concatenation character.

Title + " " results in Null when the Title is null. Whereas Title & " " results in a single space which makes your name look mis-aligned.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time

The syntax in VBA is probably the same the world over, hence we have to enter dates in US format, the Design Grid or QBE is a GUI ( graphical user interface) and accepts local style syntax.

Brian

Indeed. Just I've changed my local settings in the Control Panel and I see the changed in one of my queries.

Thank you very much Brian but, please, for the future, speak at least 2 years earlier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom