I guess I should introduce myself (1 Viewer)

mistyinca1970

Local time
Today, 08:19
So I have gotten a lot of great tips and education from this site for a couple of months now. I guess I should share a little about who I am and what I'm doing...

My name is Misty. I am an analyst for a local government office that deals with emergency data. My duties have shifted a bit lately. I used to deal mostly in just data, but now a lot of the reports I do are financial in nature. I handle a few contracts, and I am currently working on multiple database projects: a Contract Management Database, a Contact database intended to organize all of our stakeholders' contact information and create email groups, and I run a couple of annual reports that I am converting from a massive spreadsheet--that has been passed down through a few hands over the years--into a database.

I am completely self-taught in Access. I think it was 2017 when I started with a textbook and taught myself how to use it. I had previously mastered Excel (self-taught as well) and needed Access to aggregate data so that I could stop crashing excel with my hundreds of thousands of rows (usually 30 columns wide as well) totaling millions of data points. I originally used access to aggregate the data which I exported to excel to then run pivottables and pivotcharts for my reports. During the past 1.5 years, I have much more thoroughly exploited the far reaches of this program. And as a person who derives a lot of satisfaction from simplifying and automating things, I have accomplished much with using macros and VB (even though I do not know VB).

Anyway, I'm actually having a lot of fun learning all the neat things I can do with this. I get excited to know that I can click a button in a form and produce a report with that one click-- a report that used to take weeks to put together, and that the next year's report will be created with a click once the new data is entered into the DB.

So...that's me :)

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:19
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:19
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:19
An excellent intro thank you, and an excellent reminder of the satisfaction you can get from developing a good solution.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 11:19
Welcome Misty, to AWF!

As Uncle Gizmo stated, excellent intro!
Anyway, I'm actually having a lot of fun learning all the neat things I can do with this. I get excited to know that I can click a button in a form and produce a report with that one click-- a report that used to take weeks to put together, and that the next year's report will be created with a click once the new data is entered into the DB.
I once referred to some of the members here as "Heavyweights with demigod-like powers" when it came to Access. To this, one of the heavy weights responded that "The heavy-weights are not gods but magicians who know how to apply the laws of the universe to achieve things that are not obviously possible. "

Your comment reminded me of his words. Again, welcome aboard and I hope your time here will be as rewarding to you as it has been for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom