I never have understood this... (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 11:08
Link

How do you kill a person, I assume as a penalty, to try and get others not to kill? I think they should make the state Govenor perform the actual executions. Can you imagine poking around on a guy for 25 minutes...

selenau837

Can still see y'all......
Local time
KenHigg said:
Link

How do you kill a person, I assume as a penalty, to try and get others not to kill? I think they should make the state Govenor perform the actual executions. Can you imagine poking around on a guy for 25 minutes...

I can't see the link. I am assuing it is a lethal injection gone wrong?

I do believe in the death penality.

KenHigg

Local time
It's a CNN link. Here's the headline:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) -- A double murderer was put to death in Ohio Tuesday but not until after one of his veins collapsed, causing the condemned man to sit up and tell his executioners, "It's not working," officials said.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 08:08
Pauldohert said:
Poor chap.

Which poor chap? The one getting the injection or the two he shot with a gun?

KenHigg

Local time
selenau837 said:
Ohh wow!! :eek:

I am basically against the death penalty. But I am not saying that my view could never be changed (if you catch my drift...)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
The one injected.

What did he do to deserve that!

;)

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Pauldohert said:
The one injected.

What did he do to deserve that!

;)

Murdered two men at a gas station, might be a good start.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Today, 10:08
ShaneMan said:
Murdered two men at a gas station, might be a good start.

But what right does the state have to kill someone?

selenau837

Local time
KenHigg said:
I am basically against the death penalty. But I am not saying that my view could never be changed (if you catch my drift...)

I'm all for it. No need to waste tax dollars on keeping a criminal alive that can't ever be placed back into society.

I also think they should be used for organ transplants as well. So many good people are dying becuase they can't get the needed transplants. We have prisions full of people who are on death row, why not allow them to donate organs. If not willingly, then perhaps make them want to. :eek:

KenHigg

Local time
Matty said:

FYI - It's not the state, it's you and me...

selenau837

Local time
Matty said:

He lost his rights when he took it upon himself to kill another.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
selenau837 said:
I'm all for it. No need to waste tax dollars on keeping a criminal alive that can't ever be placed back into society.

I'd rather not have my tax dollars go towards killing someone else.

Edit: this is hypothetical in my case, since I don't pay taxes in the US.

Last edited:

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
selenau837 said:
He lost his rights when he took it upon himself to kill another.

I'm not saying the prisoner has rights, per se. I think when I said rights in relation to the state, I meant how can they have a policy to take another person's life. It seems more like revenge than justice to me.

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
Matty said:
I'd rather not have my tax dollars go towards killing someone else.

I'm with you. In that other thread about the polictical spectrum, there was a question on the test about "I believe in 'an eye for an eye'", and I most definitely do not believe in that. How can anyone kill someone, and then say it's not right to kill? It's like me swearing, and then telling my baby that it's wrong to swear.

I still feel guilty (more guilty than I have ever felt in my life) for taking my dog to the vet for the lethal injection when she couldn't walk anymore. It's not my place to make that decision. It is playing God, in my eyes.

Lisa

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Today, 16:08
selenau837 said:

Absolutely spot on the mark.

Frees up a bit of prison space as well

Len

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Just to chime in on this.

In the Uk, we seems to give punitive sentences for people who commit horrendous crimes. Beating an old lady, raping her then robbing her savings can attract a 3year sentence - out in 18 months.

We don't have the death penalty.

How about (as a deterrant) saying that whatever people do to another, they have done to themselves - an eye for an eye if you like.

Some thug stuck a firework up a cats bum and set it off for a laugh then videoed it on his phone as the cat writhed in agony:mad: how about the same treatment for him?

Another thug tortured a young girl recently (I won't go into detail) how about the same for him?

Another incident where a thug doused a girl in petrol and set fire to her recently - 60% burns . . . . .same for him?

There was secret film recently of men playing "cricket" with live turkeys, one was bowling the other smacking them with a piece of wood.

Our law and order is a joke. You can murder someone here and be out in about 8 to 10 years.

Col

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
If you'll pardon the pun, the way the death penalty is excecuted in the U.S. is actually a good deal more costly than life imprisonment. Sure, if we don't mind throwing the appeal process out the window we could save a ton of money with the death penalty. But as it is, between the court costs and the fact that death-row inmates generally spend at least a decade in prison before their sentance is carried out anyway, finally doing the deed does nothing to help the financial health of a state.

It's also worth mentioning how many death row prisoners have been exonerated by DNA evidence is recent years. Would saving some money be a good reason to have wrongly fully executed those people?

Personally, I think the death penalty is stupid. Not only for the financial aspect, but mostly because the purpose of punishment is to deter future behavior and the death penalty is not an effective deterrant. Nobody pulls a gun on a cop and stops to think "Oh, wait... I could be put to death for this instead of merely spending life in jail. I better not do it."

Re: Col's suggestion... it sounds fair on the surface but I'd rather not have a courthouse look like the Colloseum.

Last edited:

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Now then Col

You see there are those that say that these poor souls are just misguided and need our help to realise the error of their ways and to be helped to re integrate into society so that they are able to benefit from society.

Fact is that these misguided souls can not be treated in a civilised manner because they are not civilised and a lot of them probably never will be.

So you must treat those than behave in an uncivilised manner in an uncivilised manner because that is all they will ever understand.

We are far too soft on the majority of criminals.

Why on earth should somebody get a lighter sentence if they plead guilty.

They should get extra if found guilty after pleading innocent for wasting time and money.

Len

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom