I think I may have messed my database up by splitting it (1 Viewer)

Jennesa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:09
I am trying to find a way so that users who are not supposed to acces the tables on the database cannot get to them. I split my database and put a password on the .be end in the hopes that if they were to select the link for the table (this is if they figure out how to see hidden tables); however, now my login form does not work.

More information:
I created a login form that forces users to log in when they database is opened. It pulls its information from the tables that I split. Is there any way to rewrite my code so that the login form pulls the information correctly again? Any help would be very much appreciated!

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:09
if you have added a password to the backend, you need to create new linked tables - you cannot just refresh the old, none password linked tables.

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 16:09
If you haven't already you might need to delete your linked tables and recreate them. It's not difficult. Delete them and then in the Ribbon EXTERNAL DATA tab, Import & Link section click Access, select "Link the data source by creating a linked table", browse to your backend and select it. You will be prompted for the password. The new link tables will have the password so things should work as before except if you open your backend in code. In that case you will have to add the password to the database open.

Jennesa

Registered User.
Local time
I did what you suggested and creating the new links worked but it defeated the purpose. I split the database and put a password on the back end so that if someone logged into the front end they wouldn't have direct access to the back end tables without the backend password. Any other suggestions I could try would be very much appreciated!

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
In the options for the Current Database you can uncheck the Display Navigation Pane so that the user won't see the linked tables. But that would not keep them from changing that option so you need to uncheck Allow Full Menus. Also F11 will display the Navigation Pane so you should uncheck Use Access Keys. Then still they can pass by all of this by opening the database with the shift Key held so you need to disable that. This site explains how to do that. Finally if the user has access to full Access he could use the code from the link just mentioned to undo that. So to lock it up completely you need to save the frontend as ACCDE. I think that's it, but I'm not 100% sure. Of course make sure you have a backup copy before you save it as an ACCDE.

Jennesa

Registered User.
Local time
If I hide the navigation pane then my users can't see all the forms though right? Also, there is no option to save it as ACCDE do you have another reference to do that on access 2013? Thank you for all of your help!

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
One more thing in case you didn't know. Have access to the backend through the linked tables allows the user to change the data, but they can't change the structure.

Jennesa

Registered User.
Local time
That's still part of the problem, the owner doesn't want any one to access the tables that have the log in information. I can hide the table links which might work but if there is a safer way to lock other users out that would be the best. Any chance there is a way that when they select the link it will try to open the back and ask for a password?

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
If I hide the navigation pane then my users can't see all the forms though right?

That's correct. You would need to create a switchboard or something for navigation.

Also, there is no option to save it as ACCDE do you have another reference to do that on access 2013? Thank you for all of your help!

I have Access 2013. If you click on FILE, then Save As, it should be there under Advanced. See attached screen shot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 76

Jennesa

Registered User.
Local time
Ok awesome! Any chance you could show me how to make a switchboard? Thank you so much for all of your help!

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
That's still part of the problem, the owner doesn't want any one to access the tables that have the log in information. I can hide the table links which might work but if there is a safer way to lock other users out that would be the best. Any chance there is a way that when they select the link it will try to open the back and ask for a password?

I hope some other forum member have some suggestions as the only thing I can think of is to put the log in information in a separate database to which you wouldn't have a linked table. You would have to rewrite any code that uses that table to open it directly. Still you'd have to make sure the user couldn't get into that code or they could get to the password. An ACCDE would solve that though.

Jennesa

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you so much! I will keep looking into the rest, you have been a huge help!

sneuberg

AWF VIP
Local time
Ok awesome! Any chance you could show me how to make a switchboard? Thank you so much for all of your help!
Ours were made from scratch meaning they are nothing but a form with buttons that open forms. I've heard that's there code that makes setting one of these up a lot easier than that, but I don't know where to find it. I suggest you start a new thread with the question. What's the best way to make a switchboard?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time

Most people go with sneuberg's suggestion but, you could try this.

Attachments

• access2010-switchboard-manager-ribbon-697-525.png
    access2010-switchboard-manager-ribbon-697-525.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 220

Jennesa

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you! I'll try both and see what works best for my company, appreciate the options!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom