I'm a reluctant Access user .... (1 Viewer)

Capfka

Local time
Today, 07:07
... not because I think it's a bad idea, but because my career simply hasn't sent me down the Access route. You can't do everything.

I'm a Kiwi living in England (nearly 20 years) and I sometimes program in Delphi and usually over MySQL, Oracle and (sometimes) SQL Server. I'm actually a data guy rather than a programmer and I've modelled a lot of systems over the years! Ask me anything you like about ERStudio ...

However, I've been providing voluntary work to a charity which has a Delphi system which uses Access, all very old. So far I've managed to blag my way around Access, but I've never written VBA because I've been able to do what I need to using Delphi queries against Access via ADO. But I'm leaving the area soon, so I'm trying to get the database mangement into a state which will allow someone who has zero programming/database experience to "manage" the system on a daily basis. Knowing sod-all about what's under Access' hood, I thought I'd join a group which seemed friendly and which might be able point me in the right direction on some things which are basically goobledegook to me.

When I'm not working with data I work for my wife's business. Since Covid-19 arrived on our shores our mail order business has gone crazy, and I spend a lot of time helping out. I infinitely prefer data, believe me.

So here I am! If I appear to be on this forum for help well, yes I am. And I might even learn something about what Access and VBA can do.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:07
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Welcome! Thanks for sharing your background. Hopefully you can find some enjoyment in learning Access too.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I reluctantly welcome you. ;) :p

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Welcome aboard AWF!
Nice to have you here.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:07
Welcome to the forum. For many, learning has become a byproduct of the Covid-19 quarantine.

Capfka

Local time
Thanks for the welcome, folks. I wish I had time to sit down and learn how Access works so that I could work these things out for myself, but I have just come across a problem I don't seem to be able to find good information about. Which thread should I go to for information about how to set up links to tables in an external Access database and invoke them programmatically? Bear in mind, please that I have no background in VB or Access programming! Thanks in advance.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:07
I would suggest you start a new thread in the General forum or in the Modules. And also that you give a plain English description telling readers about:

I have just come across a problem I don't seem to be able to find good information about.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom