In honour of the Forum Troll --- (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:48
I wrote this a while back. I didn't post it at the time. I've learnt to write things, leave them for a few hours until the heat has gone out of the moment, and then decide whether to post it or not. I obviously decided not to post this at the time because I can't find it in the forum anywhere, I've had a good search. Without naming any names, I thought it was worth posting, as I thought I put it quite nicely!

This whole incident would be amusing if it hadn't resulted in the loss of a member.
On second thoughts I think it's right to look at it with its amusement value as that's the only way to get anything decent out of a bad situation.
You have a troll providing the last straw which results in a member leaving.
Then the troll is defended like some sort of perverted forum mascot!
I realize I am feeding the Troll, just a titbit, but something had to be said as the whole incident smells of Troll shit.

BTW - I THINK I wrote it, 99% sure.... but if it's yours - Great minds an all that --!

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:48
Re: I honour of the Forum Troll ---

Well said. I have a couple of candidates in mind. ;)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 05:48
Hey...! I aint THAT bad!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hey...! I aint THAT bad!
That's why I wasn't sure it was mine, until i saw my spelling mistake, then I knew...

I haven't forgotten your class module, I'm gradually absorbing it. I'm not sure yet, if it's possible/necessary ..

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I haven't forgotten your class module, I'm gradually absorbing it. I'm not sure yet, if it's possible/necessary ..

Actually Tony, I was in another Forum and was asking about the GetRows() Function and the answer fell into my lap while I wasn't looking. I wasn't going to say anything until we talked me just in case you came up with something better...

Here is the thread:
https://bytes.com/topic/access/insights/789969-retrieving-data-dao-recordset-using-getrows

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
the answer fell into my lap while I wasn't looking.

I think that's one of the amazing things about MS Access and VBA. Because of their joint and long history, there's usually an answer somewhere, it's just happening upon it.

I often find that when I run into a brick wall, after my initial ankst and fuming, I put it to one side and wait. Within a few months and sometimes as long as a year or two the answer crops up somewhere else. Or failing that, I discover a completely different way of going about the problem.

The only real problem is I end up with a dozen projects half finished.

Last edited:

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Join the club - Tony. And you qualify with honors since you only have a dozen.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've just solved something I left to one side back in 2008.
Can anyone beat that?

I wish I could say it was because my skill level has improved but judging from other recent coding experience, I think its slowly going downhill with age ....

Going back to the OP, I've no idea what exchange prompted it or who left as a result of it....

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
And here I thought I was in an elite club. Does my heart good to see the "Cool Kids" have some of the same issues I have...gives me hope!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi @NG
I think this was a reply to my post ....

And here I thought I was in an elite club. Does my heart good to see the "Cool Kids" have some of the same issues I have...gives me hope!

My middle name is procrastinate .... though sometimes I do finish good ideas...

And, as for "Cool Kids", having just joined the OAP club, you must be thinking of someone else .... ;)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Ha ha :D
I had to do a google search to check I understood that correctly!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:48
Over the years, I've seen more than a few folks who qualified as trolls, but some of them were SO dumb and obnoxious that I finally had to stop calling them trolls. I live near a bridge and my neighbors accused me of bigotry.

Leo_Coroneos

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:48
Sorry mate. No one click that link, ok?

I've been copping some stick from the mods on these other forums (NoFap, if anyone's heard of the site), and I'm pushing them to their very limits of tolerance.

It seems like I'm gone beyond annoyingly persistent and brutally confrontational to being outright unacceptable and worthy of muting (which happened to me over Christmas) and maybe even banning.

My username on NoFap is Born_For_War. Sound cheeky? Well, a lot of the users on the forums adopt martial avatars and warlike usernames, so I didn't think it was that big a deal. In fact, it's the title of a Graveland (Polish black metal) track: Born for War.

Can someone go on NoFap and tell them off for me?

Yes, I need a champion to go on these forums and give all the mods what-for! Someone help me out and I will richly reward you!

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:48
With due respect, Leo, we all have our own battles to fight, our own crosses to bear, and our own annoyances to block. I will not block you but I am nobody's champion, sometimes even including not being my own champion.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Don't worry Colin, there's no way you're on his block list! I understand people like this, they need the attention, they need to know what's going on! He will have some way of monitoring you, and he won't be able to keep his mouth shut! He will have to say something. That's the trouble with young trolls, they haven't got it sussed yet!

Last edited by a moderator:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
TBH I couldn't care less if he's blocked me or not.
But I don't need the repeated publicity in his posts.

Beginning to wonder if he's actually the site owner for UA as both have me targeted for some inexplicable reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom