It must be love... (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:34
I thought you were talking about Des O'connor then, for a minute;)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 12:34
I feel like this should go on Maury... "you are not the father..." :D

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
He told the paper he first met Ms Calvert following a three-year relationship with her mother. She was 16 at the time and joined him on caravan holidays with his children.

That's horrible!

And... I agree with Vass. It was my first thought! How do we know he is the one who sired?

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
He told the paper he first met Ms Calvert following a three-year relationship with her mother. She was 16 at the time and joined him on caravan holidays with his children.

That's horrible!

And... I agree with Vass. It was my first thought! How do we know he is the one who sired?

At that age, he probably had a "home help" in to help him out there... "can't quite manage sir? Let me do that for you..." :eek:

My personal thought is that it's a disgrace. What chance has that child of every knowing their father? Father probably won't even be around for his graduation from Primary School, never mind University.

Isn't this some sort of violation against moral law?

Vassago

Local time
My personal thought is that it's a disgrace. What chance has that child of every knowing their father? Father probably won't even be around for his graduation from Primary School, never mind University.

Isn't this some sort of violation against moral law?

I have to disagree with you on this one. My father wasn't around much in my childhood and I turned out okay. There are plenty of single mother's raising kids just fine. If she has a good head on her shoulders and he's as rich as we all believe he more than likely is (come on! 25 year old with grandpa, yeah, I'm sure it's love) then the child will more than likely turn out just fine. Not knowing one's father isn't necessarily morally wrong. ;)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:34
I am with Vass on this one, though I don't share his experiences.

My parents had me late in life, too late to live long enough to see the next generation (though I started late there myself anyway). Age is a number.

Now, the question about paternity is valid, but as to the rest of it... my godchild was born in circumstances that make it clear that her mother's husband wasn't her father. Didn't stop ANY of us from loving the child and doing our best to take care of her. The point being that if there is an extended family that grew up with love, the little one will not be alone. Extended families take care of their sibs and half-sibs if there was any love to be had at all.

As to whether it was love, lust, or something else entirely, who's to say? But do I remember that Cary Grant fathered a child by Dyan Cannon when he was 78 or 79? I have no doubt that the child lost his father before he was ready to lose him, but that is a choice we don't get to make.

Finally, I'm not religious myself, but isn't there a religious admonition to go forth and multiply? Also... wasn't Joseph already "mature" when Jesus was born to Mary? What's up with age numbers anyway?

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
My feelings are that it's just not nice to expect a child to have to deal with all the woes that very old age bring. Teenagers are faced with enough issues in this day and age without being burdened with senile and/or incontinent parents and as a young teenager the worry of losing a parent can be daunting without it being iminent. There are merely my feelings.

I do not doubt the ability for single mothers to bring up a child, with or without money. I simply think that parenthood should be left to the young. As the youngest in a large family I always felt that my parents were completely out of touch with the reality of the world I grew up in. I was subjected to their antiquated ideas of life and it was a great shock to them when I did not succumb, and left home, in my current opinion, too young because I could not cope with their demands vs my needs.

That said, I do have some very stringent views on parenthood. For instance, I have long since believed that a natural child should be afforded the same rights as an adopted one. Before you can adopt a child you must jump through hoops to prove that you are bringing that child into a stable home, I think the same should apply to natural children. I know the do gooders out there will cry "human rights for the parents" but what about the human rights for the children?

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
TessB;980824 How do we know he is the one who sired?[/quote said:
Won't there be years of patternity battles ahead?

Vassago

Local time
I know the do gooders out there will cry "human rights for the parents" but what about the human rights for the children?

The problem you have with this is what determines a stable home? What happens to a home that was stable, but then falls into issues later after having kids for a few years? Do parents have a time limit on making their home stable again? Too many problems with this way of thinking and everyone's opinions will differ on the manner.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Surely with today's DNA technology paternity can be settled very quickly
Not with Armies of American lawyers waiting in the wings, surely

Vassago

Local time
Not with Armies of American lawyers waiting in the wings, surely

Why would American lawyers be involved? It looks like a British story to me... :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom