Its been an eventful week (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 16:22
FWIW the unwanted update to Win 10 version 2004 appeared to go without a hitch but I've hardly touched that workstation since,
I remember Paul had a major issue with it. Can you remind me and I'll check it out.
Colin, I cannot remember now, it's been over 5 minutes. :) I'd have to search the posts.

FWIW I have managed to clone the old disk before it decided to pack up, and now up and running. Phew!, I've never considered myself lucky, but taking that disk apart and moving the heads several times after they initially stuck, then did not move has saved my bacon. :)

For all intents and purposes, the disk coming back to life should never have happened, but as a data recovery was going to be in the £600 mark, I had nothing to lose. :)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Might it have been this one, but that states 1909 ?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Might it have been this one, but that states 1909 ?
Missing link??? Anyway it was definitely version 2004 and IIRC relate to a search function not working.... but maybe it wasn't you

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:22
I don't recall a specific post/thread --but I haven't been eager to get 2004.
I found this link via Google that may be of some value.
I know there are some youtube videos, but unsure of their authenticity or value.

Beetle

Duly Registered Boozer
Local time
Today, 10:22
@isladogs
Colin, I don't post much anymore but still follow the forum. Was sorry to see (and confused by) you being removed as a moderator. I have always found your posts to be very informative, and I have learned from the sample dbs you post as well. Even in the the water cooler, where things tend to get a bit heated from time to time, I don't recall ever seeing a post of yours that wasn't fair and reasonable, even if I didn't necessarily agree with the opinion. On the surface, your removal doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but I certainly don't know the background. Hope you stay with the forum anyway.
Thanks for all the helpful info over the years, in this and other forums.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thanks @Beetle for your kind comments. I still don't understand the decision either.

Thanks also to @jdraw. I'll look at the video later.
So far I've not noticed any issues with Win 10 v2004 but I've hardly been on that workstation due to losing all my work files.
I suspect I will end up by reformatting the two corrupted drives before attempting a recovery.
So it makes sense to also wipe the C drive and do a fresh Windows install.
Its likely I will need to commit myself to several days work on this once I'm over the worst of the shingles

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Why don’t you have an image?
That caught me out as well Tera, my image was quite out of date.
My data was safe, that gets backed up twice daily to to separate places, but it was the inconvenience of all the programs installed over the years.
This laptop started on Vista :)

Colin, I use AllwaySync to backup, but used FreeFileSync in work which is just as good if not better.?

Good luck with it. It took me best part of the day to clone the disk when I got it working.
I then took a system image and will do so monthly from now on. You live and learn. :D

deletedT

Local time
that gets backed up twice daily to to separate places
Just to clear it out, an image is a one time copy of the hard disk. And it’s different with a daily backup.
Of course, you can have an image with several steps, but still it’s different with a daily backup.
I normally clean install OS and then create an image. Then install all applications I need, do the settings and when I’m sure everything is perfect, add another image.
Then when I need to restore from an image, I can decide to go back to only OS step or after all applications are installed.

Having a daily backup just is useful to restore lost, damaged file. If you have an OS damage, hard disk crush, infecting or some reason that you want to restore the whole disk (including OS, Applications and all of their settings) you use an image. But if you lost a part of your files, a daily backup comes handy.

Of course you can attach an image (VHD) as a drive and restore individual files too. But it’s not the main purpose of an image.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yes, the system image overwrote my old one.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:22
i formatted by 1 tera harddisk a year ago.
and stayed that way.
i remove the hdrive with another one and downloaded Stellar Toolkit Data Recovery.
i ran the recovery program and it took more than an hour to bit by bit recover my files.
i did not save all the files since i don't have enough space, but saved a snapshot of the
recovery.
every now and then if i need a program/movie/music etc., i just run the program and
point to the snapshot, it will recover that file 100%.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@Tera
I do indeed have 2 images created after my last Windows installation and again once the main applications had been installed around 2 years ago
However, both are for Windows v1803 which for me had lots of issues e.g. with geolocation data
Whether it is quicker to use my last image, add all apps installed later and then run endless updates is arguably no quicker than doing a fresh install.

All my data files are on separate drives and are backed up onto a different drive at reasonably frequent intervals.
However as already mentioned that also got corrupted at the same time,
I do also back up to my laptop periodically but as that typically takes about 24 hours to copy all data files, I haven't done so for a while.
There are also many files on One Drive, Dropbox and on my website

Anyway, Windows is currently running fine as my C drive was unaffected,
I can probably get back most of my important files from the above locations though not all recent ones.
However it will of course take time which I can't currently devote to the task

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Glad I read this thread. I'm just about done installing all my programs and transfering data from laptop to a new overly expensive All-in-one. (Thanks Mass. lottery!)
Time to image it before adding too much crap thats not important.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Well I have used Acronis True Image for years, but this time it let me down and would not clone the drive. :(

Found this software which did the job admirably as I just wanted MBR to MBR disk cloning.(y)

deletedT

Local time
Well I have used Acronis True Image for years, but this time it let me down and would not clone the drive. :(

Found this software which did the job admirably as I just wanted MBR to MBR disk cloning.(y)
I used to use Acronis too. But stopped using it because windows image and restore app had an impressive improvement.
Any specific reasons why you're not using windows' image system?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
There is an option that can help you when Windows fails. Choose a Linux distribution and make a "live" USB flash drive (preferably before anything happens and store that USB falsh drive somewhere for when its needed). A "live" USB flash drive will allow you to explore your failed Windows disk, including the ability to offload files from the Windows disk. To my knowledge, you won't really be able to "fix" the failed Windows drive. But it does allow you to carefully examine the failed drive.

PS: I have AOMEI in the Windows partition of my dual boot computer. Though I don't use Windows much, AOMEI is a nice program.

Last edited:

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I used to use Acronis too. But stopped using it because windows image and restore app had an impressive improvement.
Any specific reasons why you're not using windows' image system?
@Tera
Out of habit. I have had it a while (it's ATI 11 :))
Mainly used it to clone to larger disks. Disks that were working. This time it complained about a corrupt file and just closed. :(

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:22
When my hard drive failed and I replaced it with an SDD, I made that drive my secondary drive and told Windows to do a drive scan & repair. In theory that finds bad blocks and adds them to the system bad block file. As it turns out (or at least as it seems), the bad blocks that made it impossible to clone that disk were in places I would not have cared about anyway - but Kaspersky cared. I was eventually able to recover ALL of my personal data and move it to the new disk. I now use that drive as a backup because apparently, with its low usage, it is stable again.

All I ended up losing was several weeks of loading - followed by REloading - my SSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom