Jesus Christ - Fact or Fiction? (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 21:47
scott-atkinson said:
Maybe we should all become Amish :)
Then we will have the $4m in the bank earning huge interest per month. That sounds cool to me

Col

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Christ I think we're in agreement on a topic :eek:
*shudder* And it's not exactly a commonly held view, is it?

Actually, our positions on a topic are often in agreement. It's usually the reasoning behind it we disagree on.

TessB said:
"His" evolution and ours seem to be too remarkably alike. I think we made god in our own image. Not vice-versa.
Quite a remarkable observation, if I may say so. I personally don't think that God is a complete fabrication, but I do agree that the vast majority of what people say/think/believe about God is completely made up exactly in the way and for the reasons you describe.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 16:47
KalelGmoon said:
Wow a Goddess, ya mind if I come and visit and stuff? your husband Hermes wont mind will he? hehe I love Mythology

LOL.... kinda wrapped up in Adonis at the moment.
Oh, and sorry about that whole Helen of Troy / Trojan War fiasco.
I was a real bitch then. LMAO

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Kraj Quite a remarkable observation said:
That's because we can't even grasp the concept of an expanding universe or that fact that it's larger than it's life time multiplied by the speed of light allows it to be, but it is.

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:47
TessB said:
LOL.... kinda wrapped up in Adonis at the moment.
Oh, and sorry about that whole Helen of Troy / Trojan War fiasco.
I was a real bitch then. LMAO

Eh no worries, Helen wasn't that hawt. come on really "the face that launched a 1000 ships?" hell no they were lucky to have 1000 ships in the entire fleet. and besides she looked kinda like a horse. That could be how they got the idea for the trojan horse. hummmmmssss :p :D ;)

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:47
SJ McAbney said:
They are daft. If faith is their argument, there's no point talking to them.

No. They can't look at the scientific evidence that evolution is the most likely method of life on Earth and subscribe to the completely illogical notion of a Creator. What makes you think they would accept Jesus didn't exist on presentation of proof? The stupid seed gets planted by religious parents and the child growing up in such an environment that fears to question (perhaps embarrassed they believe something that is so utterly stupid?) will perpetuate such nonsense with their own children.

"illogical notion"? I find it impossible to believe that enough components of anything over any amount of time, could finally come together and make a pocket watch much less a human or any kind of animal life. It seems to me that it takes more faith to believe something that illogical! or else it's just any explaination except creation.

The same folks that you accuse of planting "stupid seed" would more than likely have the same opinion about someone who can't see the logic of what they believe. Hopefully, the difference being they would not resort to trying to make them selves look so intelligent while standing on the back of the one they are trying to bring down. Just because someone doesn't argee with your point of view doesn't make them stupid. Just means they don't agree with you. They would also more than likely shake their heads at what your teaching your children and not understand how a parent could do something like that to their child.

What is it about God, Jesus and the Bible that gets under your skin so bad that you resort to belittling anyone who does believe in it?

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
ShaneMan said:
"illogical notion"? I find it impossible to believe that enough components of anything over any amount of time, could finally come together and make a pocket watch much less a human or any kind of animal life. It seems to me that it takes more faith to believe something that illogical! or else it's just any explaination except creation.

The same folks that you accuse of planting "stupid seed" would more than likely have the same opinion about someone who can't see the logic of what they believe. Hopefully, the difference being they would not resort to trying to make them selves look so intelligent while standing on the back of the one they are trying to bring down. Just because someone doesn't argee with your point of view doesn't make them stupid. Just means they don't agree with you. They would also more than likely shake their heads at what your teaching your children and not understand how a parent could do something like that to their child.

What is it about God, Jesus and the Bible that gets under your skin so bad that you resort to belittling anyone who does believe in it?

He's an atheist fanatic. Just like I said before.

R

Rich

ShaneMan said:
They would also more than likely shake their heads at what your teaching your children and not understand how a parent could do something like that to their child.
Depends how you define the word teach

nikkypickles

Total Novice
Local time
ShaneMan said:

It's very simple actually; It's a kneejerk reaction, like most things are, to:
a) something not understood - do you understand all the tiny little details of Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, what it's really like to be a woman with PMT? That final item in the list is a prime example - male comedians have been mercilessly taking the mickey out of this chemical imbalance because it's something they can never understand
b) a form of self-defense. To be on the receiving end of "believe in our religion or we'll kill you" over the millenia, down to "invite Jesus into your life" in the middle of suppertime. From my own (very limited) observations, Christianity seems to be the one religion that goes off on the deep-end with converting the heretic. Muslims simply want to kill the non-believer (over-generalisation), which is quick and far more painless than the preaching and the nagging.

My business is my business, my life is my life. You have yours, I have mine. I won't inflict me on you, I don't expect you do inflict you on me.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
nikkypickles said:
what it's really like to be a woman with PMT?
Thats twice in 2 days you've mentioned this phenomenon;) is it something you have an interest in?

Col

nikkypickles

Total Novice
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Thats twice in 2 days you've mentioned this phenomenon;) is it something you have an interest in?

Col

A suffering of, Col. I have the equivalent of a dammit doll which is getting quite a lot of abuse at the moment

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
nikkypickles said:
A suffering of, Col. I have the equivalent of a dammit doll which is getting quite a lot of abuse at the moment
say no more.

man says innocently to wife. . . . . . ."are you ok dear?"

wife slowly looks round to him. . . . . . WHAT??????

man says. . . . . "dinner ready yet?"

wife's eyes dilate jet black. . . . . .WHAT DID YOU SAY????

man. . . . .exit stage right to pub, rather sharpish

Col

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:47
Rich said:
Depends how you define the word teach

I was just following what SJ McAbney had written but changed the word to teach. I think he was referring to an influence of what the child was raised around so I guess I was referring to the same thing.

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
ShaneMan said:
They would also more than likely shake their heads at what your teaching your children and not understand how a parent could do something like that to their child.
I used to have a similar opinion of religion as Messrs. McAbney, et al. until someone described it to me in a different way: If you saw someone drowning and you had a life-vest, wouldn't you feel obligated to throw it to them, even if they didn't realise they were in trouble? The same could be applied to religion - just because someone doesn't realise it, doesn't mean that the religious person doesn't wholeheartedly believe that they would benefit from it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a believer myself but it's harder to get annoyed with someone who wants to talk about God, Buddha, or whomever, when taken in that context.

nikkypickles

Total Novice
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
I used to have a similar opinion of religion as Messrs. McAbney, et al. until someone described it to me in a different way: If you saw someone drowning and you had a life-vest, wouldn't you feel obligated to throw it to them, even if they didn't realise they were in trouble? The same could be applied to religion - just because someone doesn't realise it, doesn't mean that the religious person doesn't wholeheartedly believe that they would benefit from it.
As a devout First Aider I can agree with that philosophy up to a point. The counter-argument is, what if they were committing suicide? You'd be pretty ticked off if someone saved you when you know very well what you are doing and what you want the outcome to be. In other words, keep the lifejacket for yourself and MYOBB
(Not a personal attack I hasten to add - just you in the over-generalised sense)

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Matt Greatorex said:
... If you saw someone drowning and you had a life-vest, wouldn't you feel obligated to throw it to them, even if they didn't realise they were in trouble? The same could be applied to religion - just because someone doesn't realise it, doesn't mean that the religious person doesn't wholeheartedly believe that they would benefit from it...

Matt:

This analogy is taken slightly out of context but is based on CS Lewis' Mere Christianity.

You raise a great point. Christians who evangelize feel that they are doing good and that it's their job. I don't think that Nikky or others ever would question that or blame them.

However, that doesn't make it any less annoying for people like you or me when we are pestered, nagged, bombarded or even have these people ring our doorbells to bring us their "Good News". As well-meaning as they may be, the reaction of "leave me alone" is going to be the same.

SHADOW

Matt Greatorex

Registered User.
Local time
shadow9449 said:
Matt:

This analogy is taken slightly out of context but is based on CS Lewis' Mere Christianity.

You raise a great point. Christians who evangelize feel that they are doing good and that it's their job. I don't think that Nikky or others ever would question that or blame them.

However, that doesn't make it any less annoying for people like you or me when we are pestered, nagged, bombarded or even have these people ring our doorbells to bring us their "Good News". As well-meaning as they may be, the reaction of "leave me alone" is going to be the same.

SHADOW

Personally, it makes it a lot less annoying for me. I get far more irritated by people cold-calling and trying to sell something. Especially those who call every night (as if I'm going to suddenly need their services).

However, it's the 'blame' bit that comes across particularly strongly in these forums. The fact that some posters say things in a desperate attempt to be 'controversial' notwithstanding, there have been some downright insulting and pig-ignorant comments thrown towards the more religious members of the community and their beliefs.

All I was trying to do was remind the less tolerant that there is another side to the argument and it's not particularly constructive to immediately resort to name-calling and slinging around derogatory phrases.

If you were to back and count how many postings in this thread included at least one insult, I bet the number would be depressingly high. :(

nikkypickles

Total Novice
Local time
Hi Shadow - yes it was.

I agree that I don't blame evangelists for doing their job, and I doubly agree about the "leave me alone" attitude. And I commend your eloquence and balanced view. It's nice to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom