Lies & Playing Dumb (1 Viewer)

KenHigg

Local time
Yesterday, 23:38
Say there's a guy a work that lied about something then played dumb when he got caught... Just wondering what others thought about this? Just wondering what to do about the other things he says and does. Should he best trusted like nothing happened or write him off forever? Maybe somewhere in between? My instinct is to trust him up to the point where the issue is critical then draw the line. Then what about if he never stops playing dumb about it and decides to play dumb forever?:confused::(

Last edited:

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 04:38
I think it depends on what the issue is here. Everybody lies at some point in their life, "does this make my bum look fat?" What's your answer going to be? Of course it might be different depending on who's asking? Will the answer lead you to live the rest of your life on a river bank croaking out for a princess to kiss you ? :D

My point is that every one has lied about something, should we condem others for something we have all done?

As to the "playing dumb" part, are you sure he's playing? lol. I know I used to think that about many of my colleagues and I soon found out they weren't playing at all. Seriously though, is it not human nature to deny a crime if you are caught?

I think I'd play this one step at a time, see how it goes.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Don't trust him further than you can see him;)

KenHigg

Local time
Ok... So a lot a variables in play...

What if you and several others new beyond a doubt he was lying, he knew you knew, but everybody that knew just decided to let it ride... And he still played dumb?

Local time
Yesterday, 22:38
I don't guess it's really that consequential if it doesn't make somebody else look bad.

Eventually, the slacker will get his just reward. It always happens that way.

The only thing you can control is your own attitude. Point out the problem and let go. If it really matters, it will come full circle.

Life is too short to worry about the little stuff.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:38
Say there's a guy a work that lied about something then played dumb when he got caught... Just wondering what others thought about this? Just wondering what to do about the other things he says and does. Should he best trusted like nothing happened or write him off forever? Maybe somewhere in between? My instinct is to trust him up to the point where the issue is critical then draw the line. Then what about if he never stops playing dumb about it and decides to play dumb forever?:confused::(

My Dad always says, "lie to me about a little thing, lie to me about anything." I guess things are just a little too black and white for me. I can either trust you or I can't. If I know a co-worker has lied to anyone for any reason, then from there I put them in a category of they will lie to me the first chance they get.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Don't trust him further than you can see him;)

A very clever response, but one that people who don't know what Ken is talking about wont get, and Ken can't explain without risking a ban. Me I will ignore the guy in future.

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
My Dad always says, "lie to me about a little thing, lie to me about anything." I guess things are just a little too black and white for me. I can either trust you or I can't. If I know a co-worker has lied to anyone for any reason, then from there I put them in a category of they will lie to me the first chance they get.

Yeah... All this right / wrong rhetoric may have its place somewhere. I'm thinking like Shane, next time I talk to the guy somethings going to go off in my head saying 'does this guy have a reason to lie about it...' :(

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
A very clever response, but one that people who don't know what Ken is talking about wont get, and Ken can't explain without risking a ban. Me I will ignore the guy in future.

Brian
I think the banning culture has gone;)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yes I've learnt such a lot from here in a short space of time:cool:

I should hope so with your 600+ Access questions. A "thank you" every now and then would be nice. :D

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I should hope so with your 600+ Access questions. A "thank you" every now and then would be nice. :D
Do posters need that much adulation, I can only manage one or two every now and then:D

statsman

Local time
I had a supervisor like that once. Actually, he wasn't my supervisor, it was one of those cross department things. Anyway, he told me to do somthing so I did it. It was wrong and when blame time came around and I said the supervisor had told me to do it. He uttered the immortal phrase "I never said that". I had to take the blame and almost got fired. After that, anytime he told me to do somthing I insisted on a signed memo.
My reasoning: Business should always be conducted in a business-like manner.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
I always insist everything is done in writing (email) for that very reason. I also never delete my emails.

pono1

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:38
Who the hell are we talking about here? TessB?

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I always ask for everything in writing and, as we have more chiefs than indians, I always cc all the supervisors in on any correspondence, but then I have a big ass to cover :D
Mind you don't end up with a reputation for being troublesome;)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Mind you don't end up with a reputation for being troublesome;)

Oops, your advice is, let me see now, about five years too late! Gee Rich, you could have told me sooner :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom