Line numbers in the CODE window (1 Viewer)

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:06
For easy and quick references to a line in code :)

JHB

Have been here a while
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:06
Then you've to use a third part tools, I think "MZTools" have the feature.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry (again :) ) JHB.
Seems to have again need to your help.
This forum section is named Site Suggestions. From this I have understand that is the section of the forums where user can post suggestions for the WAF site.
And I like to see line numbers in the window where we, all, post codes on this site.

Am I wrong ? (again ?). At least now I can invoke my poor English :)

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:06
I would not like to see the current code box changed. I think its real value is in showing exactly the code as written without additions or deletions.

To my way of thinking, it should be an exact copy and paste, to and from site, without alteration.

Chris.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Yes Chris. Is not about additions or deletions.
I try to explain that I like to see that window like... an Excel Spreadsheet. With row numbers.
I see this layout on other site (I don't know if the forum's rules allow me to say the name or to provide a link).
It is very useful because if I have a problem I can say:
"The error raise in line 17 and say... what the error say. Please help me to debug !"
On the other hand you can reply:
"Your trouble is coming from line 8 because....."

No additions deletions or any modification to the code.
Only a way to quick refer to a certain part of code.

catalin.petrut

Never knowing cleric
Local time
I understand Mihail's sugestion. And i suport it. The people has to understand that they still can copy the code and put it in there db without having to delete the line number. I guess that is the fear of the against-people.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Absolutely exact, Catalin. Your English seems to be better than my. Thank you for your help.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:06

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
EXACTLY, jdraw.
This is my suggestion for this site designers. Like in Bytes.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:06
The Byte feature is nice. The line numbers are part of the frame rather than the text so cut and paste isn't impacted.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
Indeed Pat.
And if you will take a second look on Bytes you will can see that that window have increased functionality by allowing the user to EXPAND it and to SELECT all the contain with one click.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
I’m not trying to be entirely negative here but it would take Jon (?) a fair amount of time to make that change.

There is still one bug with that display on Bytes: If the line numbers are visible then a copy and paste to the VB editor has a Tab character (4 spaces?) at the start of each line. However, the VB editor will left justify Labels and the code is then not the same as it was on site.

But that might be specific for VB or VBA and may not apply equally to all languages. A plain and simple copy paste box may better suite a wider selections of languages.

And another consideration about identifying lines of code. If a person did have line numbers in their code and someone referred to a line number then which line number, code or frame, would they be referring to? So, if a person said “Line 100” then there might be two “Line 100”.

So what I’m trying to say is that it will cost money to make the change and the change needs to be considered before spending the money.

Chris.

catalin.petrut

Never knowing cleric
Local time
Here is the place whre wesuggest things and the owner and/or admins make use of our suggestions or not.
I think is wrong to assume what they can or can't do, what they are willing to do or not, what they can afford or not.

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
I think it is a matter of balance. We may all want something but would we pay for it?

Such a change would cost Jon time (money) even if all he had to do was to find out if it would be cost effective. To find out if it is cost effective one of the things he would have to do is look at both the good and bad of the idea to see if it is worthwhile.

So far everyone except me thinks it is a good idea. I am trying to add some balance to the discussion by spending some of my time looking at the proposal.

I have been to bytes.com and copied and pasted code from that site to the VB editor. I have found that there are times when the copy/paste has flaws. Certainly there are ways around those flaws but someone had to spend the time to test it.

We should also question why the change is even necessary. vBulletin software has been around for a long time. I have not seen a vBulletin powered site which has line numbers in its code box. Could it be that Jelsoft has a valid reason for this or is it that they just haven’t thought about it?

If they have already done it then it might only need switching on. But, if they haven’t already done it then there might be a very good reason for not doing so. As far as I have seen, the code box on this site does the best job of presenting all code as written.

In any case, someone has to do the work. If no one else does any work then Jon has to do all of it. By doing some of the work I have, at the very least, done part of the work if only to point out some of the difficulties involved in making the change.

Chris.

catalin.petrut

Never knowing cleric
Local time
I understand the balance that you bring into discution, but what i am saying is that you dont have to do it by putting yourself in Jon shoes (no offence, Jon). None of us should do that. Why? Because we dont have all the infos to do it. All we can do is debate the merits of the suggestion. So, a line number will be useful? I say yes. You say no?

ChrisO

Registered User.
Local time
Catalin.

Why should I not try to see it from Jon’s perspective? If I can advise Jon on some of the problems involved with making the change then that will be less work for Jon.

I would like other people to do some of the work and advise Jon as well. Not just say “It would be nice if” and have little to no regard for the consequences or how much work it would take to achieve it.

I can’t simply say no… Jon will do what Jon will do.
But I can do some of the work and give advice.

Chris.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Please don't do that.

If I want to copy from site to a Test DB on my computer then I have to go and delete all those numbers.

Besides what is wrong with the way we do it now.

Rem Simply add a couple of lines of notes.

My vote is that this is a good idea but when you think it through it is a waste of time.

I am sure Jon could find other things to do to improve the site.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
I only hope that this "Jon" (is this a name or a placeholder ? :) ) to know English better than you, Rain. There are a lot of posts that explain, using a good or a less good English, that nothing will be changed in this window. Only the visual impact will be better.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
I only hope that this "Jon" (is this a name or a placeholder ? :) ) to know English better than you, Rain. There are a lot of posts that explain, using a good or a less good English, that nothing will be changed in this window. Only the visual impact will be better.

I understand now.

That looks fine by me. However I think it is a lot of work for something that I doubt will be used in the manner intended.

If Joh has nothing better to do then it would nice to have.

Mihail

Registered User.
Local time
All of us have some understanding in programming. Including me.
But I can't appreciate the amount of work if my only knowledge about HTML, PHP, Java etc. is that this languages exist and are using to design applications for web.

On the other hand, it is not about the "nice" or "cool" window.
It is about the increased functionality for users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom