Locherbie RIP (1 Viewer)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Today, 07:57
Mr Salmond why did I vote for you?

Nelson Mandella led "armed resistance" and planted bombs, mainly to destroy government property in early 1960. I'm not disputing the cause that he was fighting, I am disputing the tactics, they were tactics of terrorism. When he was arrested and jailed it was because he was the leader of a terrorist organisation who planted bombs, destroyed property and killed people. So, what's he going to say about al-Megrahi's release? "No, you should deal with terrorists severely"?? I doubt it!

So, Mr Salmond, if Mr Bin Laden was to comment on what a good job you did setting this man free, would you be as pleased as you were when another terrorist boss sang your praises? Or does he have to be voted into government before you do?

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Re: Mr Salmond why did I vote for you?

Nelson Mandella led "armed resistance" and planted bombs, mainly to destroy government property in early 1960. I'm not disputing the cause that he was fighting, I am disputing the tactics, they were tactics of terrorism. When he was arrested and jailed it was because he was the leader of a terrorist organisation who planted bombs, destroyed property and killed people. So, what's he going to say about al-Megrahi's release? "No, you should deal with terrorists severely"?? I doubt it!

So, Mr Salmond, if Mr Bin Laden was to comment on what a good job you did setting this man free, would you be as pleased as you were when another terrorist boss sang your praises? Or does he have to be voted into government before you do?
There's no oil in S.A.;)

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Re: Mr Salmond why did I vote for you?

There's no oil in S.A.;)

This is true, just gold; diamonds and uranium :eek:

ASherbuck

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:57
I triple-taked the television when I overheard this.

I think part of the problem of a majority of civilized nations criminal justice systems is the attention they pay to the criminal instead of the victims. Especially in cases where the direct victim isn't able to be present.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
The fuzz have long memories, anyway they'd be far better engaged on solving real crime, I long ago gave up reporting thefts from my property, half the time they didn't turn up and when they did all they issued was a crime ref!:mad:

Speaking of this, some garbage of a human being crept onto my property last week and took my new lawn mower and most of my yard tools. Pisses me off. :mad:

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Speaking of this, some garbage of a human being crept onto my property last week and took my new lawn mower and most of my yard tools. Pisses me off. :mad:

That's a shame Friday. In fact, it's infurating. What makes people think they have the right to just help themselves to things that someone else has worked hard for? :eek:

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
I've found over the years that the best option is not to have anything worth taking:mad:;)

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
In Quebec Canada there is a trial on for a guy who chased after two kids who stole his car out of his driveway in the night. The guy got into his minivan and chased the kids who were driving the stolen car - the kids wiped out and hit a tree - the teen driving died and the other one was severely injured.
The owner of the car is now facing trial because he endangered the lives of the little thugs and the life of the one who died...

That's a shame Friday. In fact, it's infurating. What makes people think they have the right to just help themselves to things that someone else has worked hard for? :eek:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
In Quebec Canada there is a trial on for a guy who chased after two kids who stole his car out of his driveway in the night. The guy got into his minivan and chased the kids who were driving the stolen car - the kids wiped out and hit a tree - the teen driving died and the other one was severely injured.
The owner of the car is now facing trial because he endangered the lives of the little thugs and the life of the one who died...

I presume that it is a jury trial and that the average Canadian will never find him guilty no matter what the judge says.

Brian

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time

OK, so I live in Fort Knockoff, our entire property is surrounded by cameras from all angles, due to having the worst neighbours ever. On Saturday morning we noticed that one of the cameras had been moved, and when we played back the recording you could clearly see a young man pushing it away with a stick (it's perched on top of the garage and is the most visible of them all). He didn't notice the other ones so he proceeded to try car doors and house doors up and down the street until finding a home with an unlocked door where to took the car keys followed by the car.

We are now helping the police with their investigation :rolleyes:

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
I am from Lockerbie, Scotland and I have been directly influenced by the air disaster.

I believe if he was convicted he should serve his sentence.

BUT I also do not for a second doubt his appeal would have seen him released, the evidence used in the initial trial was terrible, so little actually linked Megrahi and what did was incredibly heavily influenced by the Americans. The 2 key witnesses were bribed and that doesn't do well in court.

So I agree with my Justice Secretary's decision to release him. He would have been released after a long appeal process.

Media portrayal has played a key part, in Scotland, I have spoke to a few of the families who lost people in the air disaster. We have come to understand Megrahi was a pawn used probably by Gaddafi. This is because he was charged under Scottish Law and the media keeps it focused and in our minds. Not to be blunt but the Americans need someone to blame, that is why they were so quick to blame Hussain, so quick to blame Gaddafi (don't get me started on the oil) etc. Americans do not like, understandably, weakness.

Anyway this whole case has been political since the beginning. Now oil and prisoner transfer complicated everything. Most governments release people on compassionate grounds (probably a few less now) and his appeal would have gone through anyway. Now Megrahi will die convicted so we still have someone to blame. Incidentally I like the fact our government didn't cave to foreign pressures (assuming no prisoner transfer agreement obviously).

No doubt a lot of people disagree with me, but I think we made the right choice.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
I am from Lockerbie, Scotland and I have been directly influenced by the air disaster.

I believe if he was convicted he should serve his sentence.

BUT I also do not for a second doubt his appeal would have seen him released, the evidence used in the initial trial was terrible, so little actually linked Megrahi and what did was incredibly heavily influenced by the Americans. The 2 key witnesses were bribed and that doesn't do well in court.

So I agree with my Justice Secretary's decision to release him. He would have been released after a long appeal process.

Media portrayal has played a key part, in Scotland, I have spoke to a few of the families who lost people in the air disaster. We have come to understand Megrahi was a pawn used probably by Gaddafi. This is because he was charged under Scottish Law and the media keeps it focused and in our minds. Not to be blunt but the Americans need someone to blame, that is why they were so quick to blame Hussain, so quick to blame Gaddafi (don't get me started on the oil) etc. Americans do not like, understandably, weakness.

Anyway this whole case has been political since the beginning. Now oil and prisoner transfer complicated everything. Most governments release people on compassionate grounds (probably a few less now) and his appeal would have gone through anyway. Now Megrahi will die convicted so we still have someone to blame. Incidentally I like the fact our government didn't cave to foreign pressures (assuming no prisoner transfer agreement obviously).

No doubt a lot of people disagree with me, but I think we made the right choice.

I certainly agree his release isn't the bit of legal workings to get particularly irate about. Stinks from start to finish.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
so little actually linked Megrahi and what did was incredibly heavily influenced by the Americans.
No change there then.

Not to be blunt but the Americans need someone to blame, that is why they were so quick to blame Hussain, so quick to blame Gaddafi (don't get me started on the oil) etc. Americans do not like, understandably, weakness.
Yet the Americans show weakness by killing innocent civilians, I fail to see how killing thousands of innocent people can make America feel fulfilled and in control.

It´s exactly the same as the hijackers of the planes on 11/9 - the only difference is they did it all in one hit (and with alot more panache) and the Yanks spread it over several years so it is not so obvious. Then they say how wonderful they are at making no progress against terrorism. It´s just a joke.

Col

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Well Moammar Gadhafi has had a temper tantrum and Canadians are no longer welcome in Libya because of Canada's official stand that Abdel Baset al-Megrahi warm welcome home "constituted an insult to all the victims who died.".

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
the libyans of course could have seen his return as a release of someone who was wrongly convicted...

fingers crossed we go ahead with the new enquiry into the disaster and find the real culprits - probably worked with megrahi but higher up

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Well Moammar Gadhafi has had a temper tantrum and Canadians are no longer welcome in Libya because of Canada's official stand that Abdel Baset al-Megrahi warm welcome home "constituted an insult to all the victims who died.".
To take a lead from Dr Swires (The father of one of the victims) it seems that the Canadian government may have overreacted. It appears that evidence that shed doubt on the conviction was withheld at the trial and since for legal procedural reasons the appeal was withdrawn we still don't know whether the conviction was valid. At least there is now a proper investigation underway.

mcclunyboy

Registered User.
Local time
that evidence was the basis for megrahi's appeal...the evidence seems to overwhelmingly suggest he was framed...the fbi gave the 2 key witnesses "rewards" for their testimonies...rewards in the 6 figure region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom