mdw problem (1 Viewer)

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:48
Ok, I think I may have messed up. We have an older mdb at work that has a mdw as login/security. Well, the guy that setup the database is long gone and we are trying to get in to setup different individuals as admins.

Well, I found something on our forums that will let me join the group, but my problem is this:

The db pulls my login info and ask for a password. I thought the password was the same as my network logon since it pulls my network username, but no go. So now I have no idea what the password is and the topper is that all my db's that I have created require for me to enter a password that I dont know, argggggh!

I need help please!

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:48
Something I have done in the past (sometimes it works). Open .mdw file in Access and there is a table with the users and passwords listed. If the passwords are encrypted then I think there is a third party software that will un-encrypt them. But most times I have found the password in plain text.

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Kevlray,
Thanks for the response. The problem is that I cannot even open the mdw. It prompts me for a password. My user name is already populated, but I have no idea what it wants for a password.

David R

I know a few things...
Local time
Today, 01:48
Have you tried opening it with the Shift key held down?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
You have to 'disconnect' the .mdw from Access. Basically you have to tell it you are not using a .mdw anymore. I do not remember the steps and I do not have Access 2000 (2007, 2010 do not use .mdw anymore).

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, I have tried holding down the shift key, but I still get prompted for a password.

If you remember how to disconnect the mdw, it would be greatly appreciated!

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks David, I'll try some of the ideas mentioned.

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
sounds like you've set the DB's secure mdw as the default. Use the mdw administrator to rejoin systemMDW as the default and then you should be able to open you're own db's as per before. Then build a shortcut including the /mdw swith if you still want to play around with other DB. that way you wont to switch the secured db as the default. Access security was never that great in the first place

the system.mdw is located somewhere like C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\System.MDW, but it'll depend of what version your running for windows and access. Try searching for System.MDW on your machine.

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for all of the responses! I will try some of the suggestions tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access .mdb's are ALWAYS secured. The security is "silent" and assumes you are "Admin" as long as you are logged into system.mdw. When you join a workgroup, Access records that information in the registry and assumes that is the workgroup you always want - hence all your other apps becoming suddenly "secured". As others have mentioned, to get yourself back to "unsecured", you need to rejoin a CLEAN system.mdw. If you have modified it accidentally, you will need to get a clean copy from some other computer or uninstall and reinstall Access to get it back and reset the registry.

Search hear for security FAQ and you'll find a document that explains what you need to do.

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Ok,

I could not find a system.mdw on my work computer. Could it be that the db workgroup that I joined (which is on the network) causing this issue?

If so, then how do I disconnect from it? The Access db on the server is a mdb and I am using 2010 accdb.

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Pat! I'll give it a go and let you know what happens.

SmallTime

Registered User.
Local time
Pat, Just read your post - very informative and nicely written

Just out on interest is Access 2007 onwards still using an mdw?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@SmallTime,
Only if your database is in .mdb format. In A2007 and A2010, I believe you can still maintain the security as long as the database format is .mdb but I think that is deprecated in A2013 so you would need an earlier version of Access to maintain it but A2013 will probably respect it. I can't say for sure since I don't have any secured .mdb's left and I haven't done a lot of work with A2013.

If your db format is .accdb, there is no workgroup security at all.

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, for the life of me, I cannot find the System.mdw on my workstation. I do have access to my db again without the login using the "Unaltered mdw" that Pat provided (thanks a million Pat!).

I ended up placing the "unaltered mdw" in my Documents folder and directed Access to look there for the Workgroup Admin.

I know the Documents folder is not the place to put that file, but I cannot find where the other System.mdw is located.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, the location of the of the first workgroup admin was pointed at a folder on the server to a file named Security.mdw; could this have been the file that was trapping me?

It is ok to leave the "unaltered mdw" in the docs folder or should it be placed elsewhere?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The unaltered system.mdw is originally installed somewhere in the Programs folder in the Microsoft Office tree. As long as Access knows where the file is, you can leave it alone. I would keep a zip of the unaltered version in the same directory so you can easily find it if you need to.

This confusion is probably one of the worst problems of ULS. People would accidentally modify system.mdw rather than creating a new workbook file and then trap themselves in security hell.

magster06

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks everyone for the help!

And a special THANKS to you Pat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom