My strange life (1 Viewer)

Sun_Force

Local time
Tomorrow, 00:46
I really didn't intend to write anything about myself. But the other day, in a post here, my nation was accused of spreading Covid-19. If it was me or us who did this crime, I could simply apologize for what we did to the world and try to prevent it in future as I was asked. But the problem is I don't have a nation at all to be criticized for. Maybe introducing myself will clear the misunderstanding.

The story is too long. I'll try to keep it as short as possible.
I'm a collage student. My father is an American financial consultant, moving from one country to another helping low benefit companies to stand on their feet.
He met my mother, a Japanese girl, in Hong Kong, they married while they were in Singapore, and I was born in Seoul. I gave my mother serious damages during my birth, and these damages made the last 8 years of her life terrible. I never was the same boy after she passed away.
My father tried to keep me with himself during his business trips, because he used to say that he could see my mom in my eyes. But everyone knew he wanted to have an eye on me, because I blamed myself for what happened to mom. We moved from one hotel to another, one country to the next one.

I lived in so many countries. Mostly Asian, several African and European. The shortest was Egypt, 2 months, the longest was Japan, mom's home land (3 years). I've been in US only once, (two weeks) when dad was called to the headquarters of the company he was employed. I was only 2 years old and I can't remember any of it.
The worst part was my school. I mostly had to study at home (hotels, dormitories) and attend the final test to pass to the next grade.

I don't have a native language and I can't speak any language perfectly because I didn't stay anywhere that long to master the language. I was moving all my life. I learned Japanese language during the 8 years mom was by my side, a little English from my father, and a little of other languages where I lived. Dad doesn't speak in English to me, mostly Japanese although his Japanese sucks.
At present I'm in Shanghai, China and I think I'll be here another 6 months.

We don't own a home, because we don't stay anywhere for long, Instead I have 3 nationalities. Japan because of mom, American because of dad, Korea because of my birth place. Until next year, I have to choose one of them and let the rest to go. I've made my mind and I will choose Japan. The best day of my life was the day I entered Tokyo and the worst day was the day I stepped in China. I've always wondered why two countries so close to each other are so different. The calmness and the politeness I saw in Japanese, the nature of their relation, their culture, the safety and the peace I felt there, the cleanliness, and anything else I experienced there is enough to make me come to the conclusion without any hesitation.

There are a lot more to say, but I think it's enough to show being somewhere doesn't make you one of them.

At the end, I wanted to say although I'm here only for one or two months, I've learned a lot about VBA and MS-Access from the technical forums here. Much more than I could learn in our classes. I really appreciate all members who put their time and effort to solve our problems and explain their methods in details.
Thanks again

Edit : I didn't intend to make it that long. Makes it hard to read.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:46
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

Here are just a couple of tips for you:

1. Feel free to ask any question you like, however basic you may feel it is, or even if it has been answered before. Our expert members thrive on helping you out!

2. If you prefer a dark theme to the forums, just go to the bottom left of this forum and click "Default style". You will then see a selection of themes to choose from. I like Shades of Blue. :)

3. If you like any of the answers you get, feel free to click the "Like" link on the bottom right hand corner of the post. If you hover over the Like link, you can even choose the type of smiley.

Above all, hang around here, have fun, learn stuff and join in.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 15:46
I have never heard of tri citizenship, but have heard of dual citizenship.?
Are you sure you can only choose one?

Sun_Force

Local time
yes only one.
Japan doesn't allow dual citizenships.

Sun_Force

Local time
I have never heard of tri citizenship

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 11:46
Greetings Sun_Force! Quite the story you have! The part about your fathers Japanese skills made me laugh! I spent 2 years in Japan (Atsugi) during the early '80's and still remember a few words. Japan is a great country and its citizens are among the best in the world.

I will not apologize for another individual - I believe everyone should be accountable for his or her actions. However, I ask that you please do not judge this forum or its members based on the words and actions of a few miscreants. I seem to already understand that, I just wanted to speak (type) it out loud for the sake of clarity.

Welcome to AWF....

Sun_Force

Local time
@NauticalGent I'm not sure but as far as I remember, there was an American Base near Atsugi and they held a Festival every fall. Girls walking in their Kimono, maybe one of best evening I spent there.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 11:46
@NauticalGent I'm not sure but as far as I remember, there was an American Base near Atsugi and they held a Festival every fall. Girls walking in their Kimono, maybe one of best evening I spent there.
You remember correctly, but the base is actually the Japanese Navy: 51% Nippon/49% American. The festival is in the spring and it is the Cherry Blossom Festival but I think they just call it the Spring Festival now...

Here is a link in the Stars and Stripes: https://www.stripes.com/news/pacifi...base-in-japan-for-annual-spring-fest-1.578987

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:46
Welcome to AWF. What an interesting life you've led. You have a perspective most of us will never get.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:46
Welcome and thank you for your comments. It helps me to understand why you find our USA ways so strange. Sorry that you lost your mother, but don't take blame. She brought you into this world with love and hope. Never forget that. And as to "damaging" your mother in some way, I have the same story with only a little better ending. When I was born, my mother's body was damaged to the point that she could not have another child even if she wanted. Some women unfortunately have that problem even though it is rare. My mother survived more than 8 years, though, and in that fact, I know I was lucky. But Mom and Dad admitted things were "touchy" for a while before her health stabilized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom