Oh baby, baby...

Looks like a fun ride/drive. If I were a little closer I'd join you. I'd be the little red car filling up your rear view mirrors. :):)

There are some great mountain roads around here, but typically too many "Sunday drivers" to allow for an enjoyable drive/ride. Have fun!
Have to say that of all my rides the IOM TT course is amongst the top three. I've not ridden it on closed roads but even at legal speeds the whole route is special.

The last time I did it, over Snaefell it was a bit misty and I'll just say it can be a slight surprise and somewhat of a novelty, to see a tram emerging out of the mist in front of me.

Out of interest. The fastest ride for the 37.73 miles is 16:32 minutes, average 135.5MPH. I probably took somewhat longer!

(if you ask an estate agent on the island how far the house is from the sea , they'll probably say not more than a couple of minutes:))

Last edited:
Maybe some will but hopefully not. All it takes is a fraction of a second of lost concentration at 180ph. Last year sadly a father and son died in the sidecar race.

They do say though that the feeling they get racing is like nothing else and that is the main reason why they do it. They also say other people like to leap out of 'planes or go mountain climbing which puts them at a similar risk of death from error, or mistake. The TT is also a social event with whole families there in support. Personally I'd never do it but good luck to those who do.
Let's hope everyone has a safe enjoyable time.
Col

A "redneck" is a light-skinned country laborer whose neck is frequently sunburned.
Why is it OK to say 'redneck' about someone but not 'red indian' which I'm guessing still refers to sunburn bodies.?
Col

Red Indian is fine, Red Skin however is the height of rudness and racism...but only if you name a professional sports team that.

Thanks for that, it's always a bit confusing, especially as they use both names in cowboy films.
Col

Cowboy films tend to exaggerate a bit for dramatic effect. However, saying "redneck" is another one of those cases where it depends on how you say it. A person who makes an honest (if probably marginal) living as a farmer will probably have a neck reddened by the sun, but if you call him a redneck he would be insulted. He got his red neck honestly. The title "redneck" - as referenced by Jeff Foxworthy - describes people on whom the honestly-earned rednecked people would look down.

It's no wonder we foreigners are confused as to what is right or wrong.
Col

Col, "you foreigners" aren't alone in your confusion.

I suspect that an Englishman's education on Americans mainly comes via the movies. I don't know about anyone else but I have been given the understanding that a redneck is a simple minded country boy with a tendency for instant and considerable violence from little provocation. A neanderthal wearing a cowboy hat in a pickup truck, with a gun always to hand. Maybe a near neighbour and workshy hillbilly friend to the Dukes of Hazard. If in a good mood or drunk on moonshine, an eager line dancer and good ole boy. If not then totally avoid eye contact for even a second.

I saw this steer trespassing on my yard the other day while polishing my six shooters. At the time I was listening to deliverance on the phonograph machine. Well, it really frosted my goat seeing that critter stealing my grass like he was. So I commenced to load up, being from California we don't cotton to trespassing around these parts. After blowing his brains all over my neighborhood I packaged him up proper like!

This being memorial day weekend an all that critter will be extra tasty! And hopefully, I'll be bagging me another one just like it real soon!

steer.jpg

So can you have rednecks in Florida or California where the sun shine seems permanent? or is it a special area only, a bit like red Indians having to live on a reservation.
Col

So can you have rednecks in Florida or California where the sun shine seems permanent? or is it a special area only, a bit like red Indians having to live on a reservation.
Col

Any place that has rural farming or ranching could have rednecks. Urban farming (rooftop veggie gardens for example) don't qualify because you don't need to stay in the sun that long for the rooftop gardens. There is an implication of "all day working under the sun" as one of the qualifiers. Every state in the USA West, Southwest, South, and Central Plains has a potential for this. Also some of the Northern states. Even Maine and Vermont, which are Northeast states. Some of the smallest states might have fewer eligible areas, simply due to farms requiring larger plots of land. But that isn't a "weather" issue, it is an "availability of land" issue.

That is an Indian Springfield. It is being raffled for $20 a ticket. When I win it, I'll let you all know.

Proceeds go to the Crazy Horse Memeorial effort...

Any place that has rural farming or ranching could have rednecks. Urban farming (rooftop veggie gardens for example) don't qualify because you don't need to stay in the sun that long for the rooftop gardens. There is an implication of "all day working under the sun" as one of the qualifiers. Every state in the USA West, Southwest, South, and Central Plains has a potential for this. Also some of the Northern states. Even Maine and Vermont, which are Northeast states. Some of the smallest states might have fewer eligible areas, simply due to farms requiring larger plots of land. But that isn't a "weather" issue, it is an "availability of land" issue.
Thanks Doc, I get it now. Rednecks are always portrayed in films as aggressive, violent and of limited intelligence. Is that true? If not - why portray them that way?

Col

That is an Indian Springfield. It is being raffled for $20 a ticket. When I win it, I'll let you all know
How much do they cost from a dealer? We don't have bikes like that in the UK. If you want one, you have to import it from the US.
Col

That one as configured is about 25k. The Indian dealership in Sturgis, South Dakota donated it for the cause

That one as configured is about 25k. The Indian dealership in Sturgis, South Dakota donated it for the cause
Jesus christ! You can buy a nice car for that money. In some parts of the UK, you can buy a house for that.
They're not sold here as we haven't the roads like you or the nice weather, I wouldn't want to get it wet.
Col

When I was out riding yesterday I passed a guy selling stuff from his yard. Spotted a 3' round Indian Sign. He wanted $95 but I got him down to $45. Told him I'd be back today to get it but forgot. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom