Today, 06:31
Work again :rolleyes: Why can't they leave me alone :mad:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
KenHigg said:
Hum....

Not the question(s) in particular, just the manner in which you posed them (?)...
Gosh, I really didn't realise you were so sensitive.

(recap) Rich was wondering what to "harangue" you with after you removed your nice pic of a chimp.

I merely rattled off 3 or 4 points for possible discussion, it (for once) wasn't meant to be anything other than that.

It doesn't matter so forget it - I'll wait till a topic comes along

Dan - my apologies, I should have inserted the word "christian", as in

"Its totally wrong to bring christian religion into what is now called "christmas" let alone try to claim a pagan festival as a christian religious event."

Actually I prefer the Incas sun worship theory - at least you can see it, and it sustains life, and it cheers people up. Much more believable than the fairy tales in the so called christian manual, which are either made up or based on heresay.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 01:31
Don't feel bad... At least you got the rattle part right :D - Smart move to accentuate your strong points :p :p

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
KenHigg said:
Don't feel bad... At least you got the rattle part right :D - Smart move to accentuate your strong points :p :p
would you like me to rattle of some easier questions for you to answer? ;)

Col

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
would you like me to rattle of some easier questions for you to answer? ;)

Col

Not sure what 'rattle of' means... But I'm thinking no :D

(Unless you have some original stuff :p )

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
Dan - my apologies
Apology accepted :)

ColinEssex said:
I should have inserted the word "christian", as in

"Its totally wrong to bring christian religion into what is now called "christmas" let alone try to claim a pagan festival as a christian religious event."

But you didn't, so you lose :D ;)

KenHigg

Local time
dan-cat said:
...But you didn't, so you lose :D ;)

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
was there a race then? :confused:

Col

ooops, sorry, me and Ken were having a race to see who could be the first to get you to apologise. I won, but Ken claimed the moral victory. :)

KenHigg

Local time
These reminded me of Art Linkletter :p :p (I think that spelling is correct)
If you need a laugh then read through these Children's Science Exam
Answers. These are real answers given by children.

Q: Name the four seasons.
A: Salt, pepper, mustard and vinegar.

Q: Explain one of the processes by which water can be
made safe to drink.
A: Flirtation makes water safe to drink because it removes
large pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep and canoeists.

Q: How is dew formed?
A: The sun shines down on the leaves and makes them perspire.

Q: How can you delay milk turning sour
A: Keep it in the cow.

Q: What causes the tides in the oceans?
A: The tides are a fight between the Earth and the Moon.
All water tends to flow towards the moon, because
there is no water on the moon, and nature hates a vacuum.
I forget where the sun joins in this fight.

Q: What are steroids?
A: Things for keeping carpets still on the stairs.

Q: What happens to your body as you age?
A: When you get old, so do your bowels and you
get intercontinental.

Q: What happens to a boy when he reaches puberty?
A: He says good-bye to his boyhood and looks forward
to his adultery.

Q: Name a major disease associated with cigarettes.
A: Premature death.

Q: What is artificial insemination?
A: When the farmer does it to the bull instead of the cow.

Q: How are the main parts of the body categorized?
(e.g., abdomen.)
A: The body is consisted into three parts - the brainium,
the borax and the abdominal cavity. The brainium
contains the brain; the borax contains the heart and
lungs, and the abdominal cavity contains the five bowels,
A, E, I, O, and U.

Q: What is the fibula?
A: A small lie.

Q: What does "varicose" mean?
A: Nearby. (I do love this one...)

Q: Give the meaning of the term "Caesarean Section"
A: The Caesarean Section is a district in Rome.

Q: What does the word "benign" mean?'
A: Benign is what you will be after you be eight

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
dan-cat said:
ooops, sorry, me and Ken were having a race to see who could be the first to get you to apologise. I won, but Ken claimed the moral victory. :)
Thats ok, I admit when I fail to make myself clear - and its only polite to offer apologies for the confusion that may have been caused. Its a natural trait for the British to be sporting and polite.

If you recall, you were talking of the [christian] religious festival known as christmas - therefore, when I referred to "religion" in the same thread I (mistakenly) assumed you would have linked it back to the christian religion comment you made earlier.
Had I known that we were embracing religion as a generic term (something you failed to mention) then this would have influenced my phrasing.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
ColinEssex said:
... Its a natural trait for the British to be sporting and polite.

That's why we wonder how you became such a horses butt :p :p

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
what about religion? did we finish the christmas discussion
Yep, I think dan-cat took care of that.

ColinEssex said:
or how about people not thinking ahead - then building houses of wood in tornado alley - I know wood is plentiful and cheap (as most things are in the USA) but surely in tornado alley a good brick built house may be favourable. better still, why live there in the first place?
Tornados tend to do very little damage to anything that isn't very close to the funnel, and if the funnel passes straight over your house anything less than a steel and concrete bunker will probably be wiped out. So using brick isn't much of a solution. As far as why live there in the first place? Tornado Alley constitutes roughly 1/3 of the country.

Tornado Activity

Applying the same logic, we could ask why anyone lives in California with all the earthquakes, the southwest because of drought and dangerous heat, the gulf and southern east coast because of hurricanes, and the north because of terrible cold and blizzards. Basically, 99% of the U.S. would be uninhabitable if we didn't put some effort into adapting to the environment.

To additionally answer your question, the bulk of the best farmland in the country dwells in Tornado Alley (which stands to reason as large scapes of flat, open land are prone to storms that breed tornadoes), so that's why people settled there.

ColinEssex said:
have we discussed Iraq? and the expensive holiday the US troops are getting there for free?
No, I don't think you've mentioned that. But I'm sure any soldier would love to describe the wonderful time s/he's having for you.

ColinEssex said:
how will the billions spent on the USA Mars rocket benefit me?
The Chronological Encyclopedia of Discoveries in Space
Enjoy.

ColinEssex said:
why are diner cafes in the USA always old railway carriages (cars)?
For the same reason there's about $40 million in TBMs under the Chunnel.

ColinEssex said:
are most people millionaires in the USA? due mainly to the generosity of the US courts in claims cases plus the courts rigid distribution of wealth policy?
Hmmm....I'm not sure about this one. Tell ya what, I'll ask my sister-in-law (whose mastectomy and implant surgery was botched, is in a tremndous amount of medical bill debt and has continuous and constant health problems, but was unable to recover a single cent from the "doctor" - who has an extraordinary history of lawsuit involvement - because of a procedural technicality) what she thinks and get back to you. :rolleyes:

ColinEssex said:
why bother to have central park in New York if its too dangerous to set foot in there? why not make it a car park or something worthwhile that will be used
It's dangerous to go into Central Park at night alone...just like almost any urban neighborhood. It's just fine during the day. The only reason it's so famous is because it's surrounded by the wealthiest borrough of one of the largest cities in the world. Not to mention that, according to 1999 data, 7.2% of violent crimes in the U.S. occured in parking lots or garages as opposed to 2.7% in yards, fields, parks and playgrounds.
Source: US DoJ - See Table 61 on Page 66

I gotch-yo back, Kenizzle.

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
If you recall, you were talking of the [christian] religious festival known as christmas - therefore, when I referred to "religion" in the same thread I (mistakenly) assumed you would have linked it back to the christian religion comment you made earlier.

Indeed I was. I was responding to the comment that Christmas is a pagan festival, however you inserted (albeit unintentionally) a strawman argument which needed to be addressed. I also think the clarification of paganism not necessarily being areligious was beneficial.

Christmas is a christian festival celebrating Christ's birth. It literally means "Mass of Christ" (Cristes maesse) .
It was based on a festival called Saturnalia back in circa 60AD and defined by Pope Julius I in circa 337AD. Holly represents the crown of thorns and was a failed attempt to replace the roman pasttime of decorating your house with laurel.

It is, today, not a pagan festival though pagan elements are still seen alongside the christian ones. (Laurel, Christmas Trees, exchange of gifts etc etc) The celebration of Christ's birth does not involve the glorification of Saturn or the Sun etc etc, therefore it is not a pagan festival.

I believe even your British druids have given up on the authentic winter solstice festival preferring a more comfortable summer solstice celebration to which they'll prolly get a better audience.

If you are celebrating Christmas then you are celebrating Christ's birth
If you are celebrating Saturnalia then you are celebrating the Roman God Saturn.
If you are celebrating winter solstice then you are celebrating the sun.
Everybody else pretty well much takes timeout from work for a bit.

Last edited:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Kraj said:
Tornados tend to do very little damage to anything that isn't very close to the funnel, and if the funnel passes straight over your house anything less than a steel and concrete bunker will probably be wiped out.

Have you ever seen this happen? it is completely weird. We had a small twister come through the other month. On one side of the road there were big cedar trees snapped in two, but on the other the trees were untouched.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
I've had the good fortune of not encountering a tornado. The Great Lakes tend to disrupt tornado formation so even tornadic systems rarely actually spawn a touch-down near Chicago, but it has happened.

KenHigg

Local time
I was under the impression that the proximity of the Rockies to the plains is the major factor of these areas being prone to tornados...(?)

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not aware of all the meteorological factors that contribute to the high degree of tornado activity in the great plains; I'm sure there are many factors. But I do know the open, flat land in one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom