oooooooooooo You're my BEST friend (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 17:29
statsman said:
Without trying to tug at anyone's heartstrings, my best friend is my wife.
I knew someone on the North American continent would post that:rolleyes:

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Kraj said:
This must be the most plesant thread-hijack ever. :)

Oh I don't know. . . . . .there's been some good ones over the years:D

Col

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 11:29
ColinEssex said:
I knew someone on the North American continent would post that:rolleyes:

Col

Why North America? :confused:

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 12:29
I realized today that I promised to tell you about my best friend, Pam.

When I was 14, I moved from Massachusetts to Florida as my mom, after a nasty divorce, was pretty destitute and her parents, who lived in Sarasota, said that they would help us out if we moved down to Florida.

I was in 10th grade. I had SUCH a Massachusetts accent... I stuck out like a sore thumb which was a nightmare for a girl like me who liked to fly under the social radar. See, when I was a young girl, and it's still pretty true to my character today, large groups tend to scare me. And I guess that's because I don't think I fit in with all the "normal" people. Those people can spend years talking about nothing in particular. I can't do that. I always want to get to the core human issues and really relate to people. And, it's hard to find people that I feel are capable of sharing on that level, let alone able to understand and empathise with my experiences.

WHICH, is one reason I so appreciated all the replies when I poured my bitterly hurt heart out in my "Marital Discord" thread. I felt people heard me and many voiced understanding and empathy and sometimes even concern! So many times I say things and I feel completely ignored. I'll have to express my sincere thanks on that thread.. But... I digress.

Pam was in my Geometry class. She tells me now that she fell in love with the way I raised my hand and asked our teacher, Mr. Winegar, geometry questions... "Mista Winegah? Can you explain the formula for the ahk?" (arc)... and how self-conscious I was when the teacher was trying to answer my questions amid giggles from the class. (I had no idea my classmates were laughing at my accent. I thought they were thinking I was an idiot because I didn't understand Geometry very well.)

I didn't know Pam very well at all, except to say "hi" coming into or leaving class. She sat all the way on the other side of the room. So, it surprised the hell out of me when one day after school, she rang my telephone and invited me to my very first concert. "Terrie.... " (I was Terrie back then) "A bunch of us are going to see Jethro Tull next Tuesday night... we have an extra ticket... I thought you may like to go with us." I was dumbfounded. "Me?" "Yes." "Why would you invite ME?" "Because I think you're nice and I like you!" "Oh... ok...." (I had never even heard of Jethro Tull by the way... lol.... I was SUCH a geek.)

And that, ladies and gentlemen was the start of a beautiful friendship. Pam introduced me to my first great love... that about killed me.... but I got over him. And then she introduced me to my now husband. I remember her telling me, "You are the nicest girl I know. Marty is the nicest guy.... it just seems right." I wasn't interested in him romantically in the least. But after years of being friends with Marty, I ended up falling in love with him and marrying him.

Pam and I have gotten married together, had our babies together, bought houses, had heartache.... shared an entire life together... for coming up on 28years now. But regardless of the amount of time we've spent in each other's lives, the thing that makes her my best friend is this: I can tell her anything.... I mean ANYTHING... and she won't stop liking me. That... THAT is a true friend.

Oh... and by the way, she is the only person in the world that STILL calls me Terrie. And she's the only one I will allow!

Last edited:

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:29
TessB said:
Pam and I have gotten married together, had our babies together, bought houses, had heartache.... shared an entire life together... for coming up on 28years now. But regardless of the amount of time we've spent in each other's lives, the thing that makes her my best friend is this: I can tell her anything.... I mean ANYTHING... and she won't stop liking me. That... THAT is a true friend.

I've always heard the defination of a best friend is, "someone who knows everything about you and likes you anyway.":)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Thanks for taking the time to read the whole thing, Shane.

Kisses.
Tess

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
I don't think I know that song... can you hum a few bars?

p595659

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:29
my high school best friend Alexi was autistic(sp?), and we got each other through high school when we had our problems. I still keep in contact with him online because he now travels alot since he is a golf pro.

My current best friend is Gary, who was in the same course as me in my first year of university. He introduced me to other people he knew in the university, who have become friends also. One of the biggest things I did for him was to help break his gambling habit (once lost £500 a day on gambling machines) which he didnt want people to know about. Althrough he is now on a different course as me, he still comes around and visits me and my housemates.

R

Rich

TessB said:
I don't think I know that song... can you hum a few bars?

Feel I'm goin' back to Massachusetts
Something's telling me I must go home
And the lights all went down in Massachusetts
The day I left her standing on her own

Tried to hitch a ride to San Francisco
Gotta do the things I wanna do
They brought me back to see my way with you

Talk about the life in Massachusetts
Speak about the people I have seen
And Massachusetts is one place I have seen

I will remember Massachusetts

EmmaJane

Registered User.
Local time
I have two best friend. Sarah is my oldest friend and I meet her when doing my A levels at 18. She was very quite but we just hit it off. We were complete opposites, different taste in just about everything!! We occasionally lose touch for a few months especially a few years ago when she was travelling a lot. However it never seemed to matter how long it was between speaking to each other. My other best friend is Angela and we meet at university. We didn’t hit it off straight away but just seemed to spend more and more time together until suddenly we are inseparable. We speak everyday and meet up at least once a week. The great thing is that Sarah and Antonella get on together as well and we try to go on a “girls” weekend once a year. I think as I have grown older I have come to realise that it is not the quantity that matters but the quality. When I was younger I surround myself with lots of “friend” but now it takes me a lot longer to call someone my friend. My friends are an important part of my life and have helped to keep me sane.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
I was going through some old posts and ....
Well, it's my Pam's birthday this month.
So I thought I would honor her and revive this thread.

She's still my best friend.
In December, we'll be going to a YES concert together. :) (For those of you who never heard of YES, I apologize.... and beseech thee to download a sample.)

Here's your opportunity to share some great stories about how you met your number one best friend. Or tell us about a memorable time you shared together. Tell me what makes this person so important to you and what about them separates them from all the "casual friends" you may have.

Also, a warm hello to all my old and new friends.
I have to say, I stop in every few days and read up on what is being discussed, and although I rarely participate anymore in threads, I'm here.... watching.

Big hugs.
Tess

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
Today, 11:29
I don't have any friends that I know of (that I would like to speak of anyway). :p Want to be mine Tess?

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Oh, come on, Adam... you have friends....
But if you want me to be one.... I'm game.
This cheeky question opens up a new line of conversation though.....

And I don't want to hijack my own thread... so I'll pose the segue question thusly..... In addition, people who care to participate in this thread, not only tell me about your best friend.... but also tell me what qualities in particular you look for in someone who has "best friend" potential.

Qualities I value in friends include;
Loyalty
Trust
Respect
Kindness
Tolerance
Empathy
Honesty
Acceptance
Vulnerability

What qualities make a friend a true friend?
Looking back on the few qualities I've outlined, I see a loop pattern.

All of these qualities have something in common... and it's "being a real person"....

A real friend will be willing to be so honest with you about their true selves, that they risk being rejected.... but they have confidence and security in their assessment of you that they will not be rejected or deemed "unfit" in some way. This is a great honor. For someone to be honest and expose a vulnerable side to themselves.... and the fact that they trust you not to reject them for their humanity.... what greater compliment can another human being pay you?

Conversely, a true friend is someone to whom you can expose your deepest vulnerablilities and not fear rejection or judgement.

We are soul-mates and partners, kindred spirits and confidants.

Have we all been fortunate enough to have at least one in our lives?

I'm looking forward to everyone's thoughts and input.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Hmm, well, there's a certain joiner who has known me since I was 17, knows every mistake I've ever made, even helped me make a few of them! He's been there to help me laugh, cry and throw tantrums. Sometimes we talk until the wee small hours, sometimes we're just content to sit in each others company, in silence. So, I'm guessing he must be my best friend because I've never had that with anyone else, except my daughter, but she's only known me since I was 21 :D

Oh, by the way, happy birthday Pam !

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
They were already past it when I seen them at the Usher Hall in 1974!

You mean "when I saw them. . ."

mouse with lanxgitis!

What is 'lanxgitis'?

Ah, you see, when you have something that is precious and you want to save it from being ruined by the world - you wrap it in cotton wool :D

Isn't it marvellous, America was built on the slavery of blacks picking cotton - yet 'cotton wool' is alien to them? I'm guessing they have yet again mutilated the English language and call it something different.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom