Open borders to increase the Democrats voter base (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:27
I was thinking yesterday that perhaps the Democrats have an open borders policy because they believe it will systematically increase the size of their voter base. My assumption is the majority of illegal immigrants will vote Democrat, because they were the ones who opened the doors.

Are there any legs to this hypothesis?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:27
The left needs the votes, the right needs the labor. Hence very little action on the subject.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 09:27
I was thinking yesterday that perhaps the Democrats have an open borders policy because they believe it will systematically increase the size of their voter base. My assumption is the majority of illegal immigrants will vote Democrat, because they were the ones who opened the doors.

Are there any legs to this hypothesis?
Yes. At a deeper level this has to do with the Democrats pushing racism under the less offense wording of purposely tilting the political scales in the US though "demographics". The Democrats have been glorifying immigration from the south of the border countries as increasing "diversity" and allowing (illegal) immigrants to achieve the "American dream". Any attempts to actually prevent that immigration are met with accusations by the left of being racist, xenophobic, and denying the (illegal) immigrants their rights to a good life.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As an add-on, one of Biden's Executive Orders was to halt the deportation of illegal immigrants. That Executive Order has been temporarily suspended. I don't know if this discussion has yet emerged: But what happens when the detention centers become full because no one is deported? From the conspiracy angle, this is a back-door effort to essentially discharge a large percentage of illegal immigrants into the US under the guise that there is no where to put them until they can be deported. Essentially this boils down to the US border is open,

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It would be nice to try to catalogue a series of events that benefitted immigrants, and then gauge any resulting swings in voter sentiment among Hispanics. Jon, knowing you I imagine that's what you're looking for...numbers.

But aside from that, I agree--it does seem intuitive/obvious that loosening immigration restrictions is likely to benefit (politically) the person doing it, at least, in the limited form of more political support from the demographics that benefit from the loosened restrictions.

The best the Republicans can do here is the same thing they always have to do -- appeal to the character and pride of people who want rules to be followed, and work/opportunities to be rewarded, rather than getting freebies. It's the classic conservative vs. liberal dilemma. I love the fact that I might get a $1,400 or $2,800 check from Joe Biden, but my character stops me from deciding how to vote based on getting a check from someone. Not everyone thinks like that. And I do try to understand that the more materially desperate one is, the less one can afford the fancy distinction I'm making, and the more understandable their choice is.

Maybe Republicans can compete somewhat with liberals' border-freebies by offering to make some very carefully vetted, wise investments in South America rather than just letting people in here. Because if there is one thing I've learned from marrying into a Hispanic family (a truly non-American fully Hispanic family), it's that some of us grew up with the MISTAKEN impression that everyone is just dying to get to the USA. The truth is more along the lines of, a lot of people want to come here, but only because of $--IF they had the option of doing just a bit better in their homeland, they would greatly prefer to stay there and do a little better. They don't "like the USA" for anything other than the dollars it gives them to help them get ahead (which I totally understand--there is a LOT to like about Hispanic countries & cultures, over & above the USA).

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:27
Do you think the Democrats would have open borders if they thought a wave of predominantly right-wingers were going to stampede into the country? Call me cynical but I don't think so!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Do you think the Democrats would have open borders if they thought a wave of predominantly right-wingers were going to stampede into the country? Call me cynical but I don't think so!
Ha ha yep - exactly.

Let's get in power, put our stamp of liberal philosophy everywhere, control education, control history, control corporate training, pack the court, add 2 new liberal states so we can forever control the senate, control by eliminating the electoral college, change the voting laws in a way that benefits our demographic (who seems to uniquely screw up their ballots a lot more than everyone else), control the media, stamp out any stories that make us look bad, fire and ostracize anyone who dissents.

It boggles my mind how anyone can vote Democrat and know they're part of pushing forward that agenda. Boggles the mind.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The truth is more along the lines of, a lot of people want to come here, but only because of $--IF they had the option of doing just a bit better in their homeland, they would greatly prefer to stay there and do a little better.
These are exactly the kind of people we don't want. They don't want to become Americans. They are here only for what they can get and they don't want to assimilate no matter how long they stay here AND they send their money "home" so it leaves our economy and doesn't feed it. So they steal* from us in multiple ways.

I have two good friends who are immigrants. One from East Germany (the one who watched Dresden burn) who finally got out of East Germany when the wall came down and the other is from Brazil. She came for economic opportunity but to also get away from corruption and she has also integrated. Both are aghast at what the left is doing here. Their home countries are suddenly looking far more attractive.

My step-mother is from Nevis and was a math professor in a college in New Haven (not Yale) before she retired as well as the author of three math textbooks. She is pretty liberal and so was my father. Both voted for Obama the first time because he was black and because he was a Democrat. They might have voted for a Republican if he was black but I never asked them since I didn't want to know the answer. My faith in them was restored when they didn't vote for Obama for a second term. They might be Democrats but they're not stupid.

So, there are three immigrants in my inner circle and none of them approve of open borders!!! One is a Democrat, one is a Republican, the third leans right.

I don't know if any of you saw that Biden replaced the bust of Winston Churchill with one of Hugo Chavez. Apparently he doesn't know that Chavez was virulently against illegal immigration and even against the legal programs that undercut farm wages. He felt that illegal immigration undermined the position of the legal immigrants and and other citizens that he was trying to help and so did the cheap labor programs.

Cesar Chavez – Illegal Immigration Foe | National Review

* purple word

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
These are exactly the kind of people we don't want
That's why I say, instead of letting a bunch of them in, both we and them would be better served by re-directing whatever humanitarian aid is in question toward making their countries better. Note - right now I'm not arguing for or against this aid, just saying if there is a generous spirit to be agreed upon, direct it in that manner rather than opening borders

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
We've sent billions in aid to Central America and Haiti among other places. It gets squandered and the drug lords rule. As a human being, I like the idea of foreign aid to help those who need help but way too much of what we send is just p***** away, it is silly to keep sending more. It's time we all read The Ugly American again as soon as we finish 1984 and Animal Farm. Ten years after the earthquake in Haiti, those poor people are still living in tents. I guess the Clinton foundation spent the money they promised for housing on "expenses". Our foreign policy seems to be "let's do the same ol' thing that didn't work in the past but maybe it'll work this time". Unless we are prepared to actually think through the problem and find a way to give effective help, I say stop the bleeding.

WHY is Congress so hell bent on doing things the way they've always done things? Biden hasn't left the Oval Office since he was sworn in, he's too busy signing executive orders undoing what Trump accomplished. He's now letting the Chinese into our electric grid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Prepare for rolling blackouts come summer to go along with our $5 gas.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
It gets squandered and the drug lords rule
That's why I said, well vetted and wise. When it comes to strings attached to aid, the possibilities are infinite--they just need to be utilized.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time

Biden administration’s CBP revives ‘catch and release’ policy at border amid COVID concerns

A perfect storm of events has the Biden administration’s Customs and Border Protection on its heels in parts of Texas, forcing the agency to begin releasing newly arrived illegal immigrants back into U.S. cities as part of a policy known as "catch and release."

This week, President Biden signed immigration-related executive orders, which included revoking then-President Trump’s order ending the so-called "catch and release" policy.

This is an early story that may well reflect what is happening as Biden dismantles Trump's border security efforts. Of course, the Biden administration will (falsely) maintain that they are providing border security. But then they will go onto say that the detention facilities are "full" and humanitarian considerations require that the illegal immigrants be released into the US.

As to why the illegal immigrants aren't quickly deported, the Biden administration will probably contented that would not be humanitarian.

For all practical purposes, the border is now open.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
They caught 11 Iranians (?) trying to cross the border today. Long walk:)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
These two articles caught my attention today. The border is open, however the Biden administration seeks to spin it. The Biden administration is attempting to ban deportations (ostensibly for 100 days), which obviously means that once in the US, you won't be deported. Next, after those illegally in the US for a while, the cry will be expressed that would be considered inhumane to deport them. This logic has already been applied by Democrats claiming that the illegal immigrants deserve to remain in the US as they have set-down "roots" and that it would be logistically impossible to deport them all.

Additionally, note the absence of any apparent reference to restrict those being allowed into the US due to Covid-19 concerns, yet those Covid-19 concerns are being used to control the travel of people in the US, the locking down of businesses, and the lack of in-person teaching for many school districts. Illegal immigrants are apparently getting a pass on these restrictions.

This is another example of government allowing (actually creating) a problem to metastasize and then claiming that a large scale government program is required to "solve" the problem without actually solving it. The simple solution is immediate deportation.

Jen Psaki Claims ‘Border Is Not Open,’ Admits Biden’s DHS Is Releasing Migrants into U.S.
White House press secretary Jen Psaki claimed that the United States-Mexico border was not open to migrants, even as over a thousand border crossers have been released into the interior of the U.S.

DHS will admit 25,000 migrants waiting in Mexico

Homeland Security will allow tens of thousands of migrants blocked by the Trump administration from jumping the border to enter the U.S. starting next week, erasing the brunt of a policy that had helped solve the last border surge.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
During a time when so many workers are furloughed or out of work Biden is allowing this is a disgrace. Not to mention they could start another wave of lockdowns for ordinary citizens who try and follow the rules.

Its this kind of behavior that will make Biden a one term president. When the left figures out how bad he hosed them and their unions they will not cheat next time to get him in office.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why are people not marching in the streets over this?
Its this kind of behavior that will make Biden a one term president.
Biden is not even going to serve one term. Harris will get rid of him as soon as he messes up.

zeroaccess

Local time
Today, 08:27
It's a nice conspiracy theory, but Democrats don't support "open borders" nor can illegal aliens vote in elections.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
It's a nice conspiracy theory, but Democrats don't support "open borders" nor can illegal aliens vote in elections.
The Democrats do support an "open border". Democrats have done everything possible to obscure that an illegal immigrant is not a valid US citizen. No voter verification, same day voter registration, automatic voter registration upon getting a driver's license in many states. Removing a citizenship question from the census. Yet the Democrats hypocritically claim to want voter integrity.

Biden is cancelling Trump's immigration policies, such as the "stay in Mexico policy". Now Biden is letting those currently waiting in Mexico to soon enter the the US. Biden has re-instituted "catch and release". These are backdoor "covers" for letting the illegal immigrants into the US. Then ---- Biden is beginning to propose, to give them citizenship as it would be "cruel" to send them back to their country of origin. Don't forget that Biden proposed attractants, such as free medical care, free education, etc. That sends a very strong message to current and future illegal immigrants that they are "welcome", which translates into the border is open.

The Democrats are exceptionally good at claiming something, like not being for "open orders", but then, underhandedly doing just the opposite. Note the number of Democratic political leaders demanding that the public stay home to slow the spread of Covid-19, yet they go out and party.

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Doesn't matter. Loyalty and votes are built up in the demographic in general by extending those kind of benefits. It only stands to reason.

If I send benefits and a check for $1000 to all paraplegics, guess which demographic is going to support me in bigger number - whether the check recipients could vote or not?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
The Democrats (and most Republicans except Trump) say what they think you want to hear. Pay more attention to their actions than their words. Their rules are for us, not for themselves.

This why many people didn't understand Trump. They'd never run into a politician who said what he meant and meant what he said, no matter how unartfully he said it.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Just published article in the New York Times: The Democrats’ immigration proposal offers an eight-year path to citizenship.
Unlike previous efforts to overhaul immigration, the legislation does not include a large focus on increased border enforcement. Instead, the bill adds resources to process migrants legally at ports of entry and invests $4 billion over four years in distressed economies in the hopes of preventing people from fleeing to the United States because of security and economic crises.
As with all legislation the details are in the "fine print" and in the absence of certain themes. Note the headline's theme to offer illegal immigrants a path to citizenship. The absent theme is "deportation" of those illegally here. While there is a vague nod to "preventing people" from entering the US, based on the humanitarian theme of the article those seeking entry into the US would still be allowed in. The operative language is legitimizing those illegal immigrants who are here. In fact, the proposed immigration plan, would allow illegal immigrants (once legitimized) to bring into the US family members from their native country. No need to illegally cross the border. The net effect, the border is open.
But the bill tries to make the most far-reaching changes in immigration law in more than three decades. It would sweep away restrictions on family-based immigration, making it easier for spouses and children to join their families already in the country. And it would expand worker visas to allow more foreigners to come to the United States for jobs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom