Paul Harvey says: (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
And they would also be FREE to move to a more liberal community :)
yeah that's what Cav said about those abandoned to their own fate in the wake of Katrina:rolleyes:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:47
Rich said:
Aren't those the same communities that hated blacks and now hate gays too?:confused:
I don't believe anyone has been referring to any specific communities, we've been saying all communities should have the right to determine their own religious expression. And no, not all communities that may choose a degree of religious expression in their schools are full of homophobes and/or (former) racists.

Rich said:
They have to be given a chance to think freely though, don't they?
So which are we talking about? Free thinkers or potential free thinkers?

Last edited:
R

Rich

Kraj said:
So which are we talking about? Free thinkers or potential free thinkers?
Even free thinkers can be persuaded otherwise more especially if they're young and impressionable

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Even free thinkers can be persuaded otherwise more especially if they're young and impressionable
Then they're not exactly free thinkers are they?

I find it interesting that your usage of the term "free thinkers" appears to preclude the religious. Wouldn't abolishing personal religious expression in schools prevent individuals from freely choosing to express themselves? Is freely choosing not to engage in religious expression more valid than freely choosing to engage in religious expression? Isn't the choice to relinquish one's independent thought in favor of groupthink a valid personal choice one should be free to make, even if we think that choice is a terrible one?

Last edited:

jsanders

If I Only had a Brain
Local time
Today, 11:47
FoFa said:
That's the funny part, all you liberals say your in the middle :p

I think anyone that applies intellectual vigor to reviewing my words would find me squarely in the middle, with occasional leanings towards one side or the other.

I expect to hear a resounding comment from both sides of the fence on that one.

Which of course will prove my point.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
oh, c'mon we're all brainwashed in some way.
Our environment shapes us.
We could be conditioned to worship a Coke bottle.

Newman

Québécois
Local time
Why should it be a Coke bottle?
I want to worship a Pepsi can.:D

KenHigg

Local time
Ok. But I don't want to see any Pepsi vending machines in the court house!!!

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
Ok. But I don't want to see any Pepsi vending machines in the court house!!!
coke and pepsi machines are being banned in schools here now because the kids become aggressive, insolent and even violent after drinking them.
Is there such a machine in the White House at the minute?:cool:

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
TessB said:
oh, c'mon we're all brainwashed in some way.
Our environment shapes us.
We could be conditioned to worship a Coke bottle.

Haven't you been already?:D

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
:eek:
On some level, that is very true!

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:47
Rich said:
Why should a free thinker have to suffer indoctrination in the bible belt?:confused:
Or maybe a closed minded individule might be able to see the light of day (dang another slang). But why should 100 kids be dictated to by one, is that not in a loose sense kind of what the NAZI's were all about?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Aren't those the same communities that hated blacks and now hate gays too?:confused:
Humm, sounds like a little predujice on your part to me. Seems like someone is jumping to conclusions without any facts. Oh there's a news flash (another slang?)

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
And that is what free thinking is all about! The only difference I see from your example is who maybe imposing thoughts on the free thinker. So if that free thinker does not go along with your thinking, then all of a sudden it is brain washing?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
jsanders said:
I think anyone that applies intellectual vigor to reviewing my words would find me squarely in the middle, with occasional leanings towards one side or the other.
As Liberals think....

R

Rich

FoFa said:
And that is what free thinking is all about! The only difference I see from your example is who maybe imposing thoughts on the free thinker. So if that free thinker does not go along with your thinking, then all of a sudden it is brain washing?
There's a difference between teaching and preaching

R

Rich

FoFa said:
Or maybe a closed minded individule might be able to see the light of day (dang another slang). But why should 100 kids be dictated to by one, is that not in a loose sense kind of what the NAZI's were all about?
Exactly, now why should one man in a white house dictate to the world?:rolleyes:
Why should one old fart in a frock dictate to millions, eh?:rolleyes:

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
FoFa said:
As Liberals think....

Actually, many liberals do... maybe that's where the divider lies... :eek:

From what I can tell from my local landscape and from where I came from (respectively urban northeast liberal vs. suburban midwest conservative) the political spectrum tends to dictate that a larger percentage of conservatives are more 'staunchly' conservative versus those who could or would be considered leftists since many of the root philosophies of leftists involve consideration for all parties including that of conservatives (leftists fight for the underdog, conservatives for the 'majority' -- IE, Christians outnumber buddhists). It is easier then to have 'middle ground' liberals (which is sadly mistaken in the US for 'indecisiveness') if only because the gravitational pull of consideration for all parties is applied. It's also not suprising that leftists are in a traditionally weaker fighting stance because they must battle the concept of fighting for the minority while appealing to the majority. When the political landscape is not so polarized as it is now this carries less import since the battles being fought seem more casual and at times, the cause of the minorty grows to that of the majority (vietnam, civil rights just to name a few). But with such a highly polarized landscape (one could question to what extent an overactive media has played a role in this) the appeal for minority protection with a need for majority votes leaves them straddling a rather great divide.

Just my two cents.
~chad

KenHigg

Local time
cheuschober said:
Actually, many liberals do... maybe that's where the divider lies... :eek:

From what I can tell from my local landscape and from where I came from (respectively urban northeast liberal vs. suburban midwest conservative) the political spectrum tends to dictate that a larger percentage of conservatives are more 'staunchly' conservative versus those who could or would be considered leftists since many of the root philosophies of leftists involve consideration for all parties including that of conservatives (leftists fight for the underdog, conservatives for the 'majority' -- IE, Christians outnumber buddhists). It is easier then to have 'middle ground' liberals (which is sadly mistaken in the US for 'indecisiveness') if only because the gravitational pull of consideration for all parties is applied. It's also not suprising that leftists are in a traditionally weaker fighting stance because they must battle the concept of fighting for the minority while appealing to the majority. When the political landscape is not so polarized as it is now this carries less import since the battles being fought seem more casual and at times, the cause of the minorty grows to that of the majority (vietnam, civil rights just to name a few). But with such a highly polarized landscape (one could question to what extent an overactive media has played a role in this) the appeal for minority protection with a need for majority votes leaves them straddling a rather great divide.

Just my two cents.
~chad

Well put (IMHO) Good to see you back in the mix :)

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Not only well put, but also an extremely good point.

How've you been, Chad? Long time, no see. Are you still acting?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom