Paul Harvey says: (1 Viewer)

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
Today, 01:51
Good to be back. I've just swamped to hell with life and work. Moved, saw my first solo application at the office take flight, dealt with horrid issues with the ex who I almost have to see daily (lives 60ft from my apt), and now dealing with the police and ejecting a very bad roommate with a drug problem. Haven't really had the time to chat and, thanks to the forums, haven't much need to post or even stop by for help... But things are slowing down (at least I believe so now that that app of mine has started running -- now I get to pioneer some SQL Server development! :eek:).

How's everyone else been?
~Chad

KenHigg

Local time
Kraj said:
Not only well put, but also any extremely good point.

Could you summarize it for me? To me it started like an attack thing then meandered around a while and then ended up sounding like some sort of excuse...?

Was it; Because liberals must represent a fragmented group set (all the different minorities), they have a hard time maintaining momentum. ?

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:51
Wow, that's a heckuva lot! What happend with your girlfriend? Things had been going well last we heard. :(

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
Actually as a sidenote to my post, though I recognize no political structure can be so simply put (iow, conservatives can be 'conservatives' for differing reasons than the overwhelming generalization I presented), if we, for a moment, accept my generalization does not the Christian Right seem a contradiction in terms? (Majority rule vs. protecting the minority?) The Beatitudes (as argued by many to be far more important in christian religious and moral significance than the ten commandments) have a clearly leftist bendt. Yet history has shown us time and time again that there are occasional waves of christian zealotry (no, I'm not ignoring that other religions have proven this too, merely focusing on christianity) that lead to actions that truly do seem to blatantly ignore the beatific guidelines supposed to be set forth for the backbone for the christian moral authority (french purging of protestants, crusades, etc).

I'm very curious to know if this has been tracked and studied? What factors lead to the development of that type of mentality and could we say that is, in so many ways, happening in America right now? Moreso, has it happened before? Massacres of the flesh are far more difficult to find in our modern world but other types of massacre can still take place (financial, religious, political, etc).

~Chad

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
Could you summarize it for me? To me it started like an attack thing then meandered around a while and then ended up sounding like some sort of excuse...?

Was it; Because liberals must represent a fragmented group set (all the different minorities), they have a hard time maintaining momentum. ?
I'm confused...you said that the post was well-put, but now it seems you don't think so?

In any case, the point Chad was making is that the position of a libral tends to take into account consideration for all sides of an issue, including the conservative side. In contrast, a conservative tends to be very focused on his or her own perspective. The effect of this is a more widespread set of views that fall under the "liberal" blanket and a weaker political platform than the more narrowly focused conservative platform.

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
KenHigg said:

Oh it wasn't an attack the first line was wholly meant in jest.

I wasn't actually referring to whom the leftists must represent as much as whose interests they set out to protect (different concepts).

Merely, the point is that a major difference in political philosophy exists between the rightist and leftists whereby one seeks to protect the interests of the majority (but first must decide on a 'majority') and one seeks to protect the interests of the minority.

More easly put: If you have 34 apples, 24 oranges, and 3 pears the rightist philosophy tends towards protecting the interests of the apples first, the organges are considered but if in direct contention with the apples often must give, and the pears ignored. In leftist philosophy the view is narrowed to the existance of a type: we have pears, oranges and apples -- three entities and each, theoretically, deserves equal right even if those rights are in direct contention with one another. But the leftist does not exclude apples from that view of whose interests must be protected so they are also seeking to protect the same interests of the conservatives if not to the same total effect.

In this way 'extreme liberals' are actually much more similar to conservatives where your 'middle grounders' are much closer to being what a true liberal is. This is all in response to the comments posted earlier in how all liberals believe they are in the middle ground and in so many ways they are. The draw of protection of the conservative agenda as well as the liberal agenda not only weakens their position on the political battlefied in winning opinion but inevitably gravitates them closer to center.

It's silly to believe that liberals fight only for the minority because at some point the minority does become the majority after enough battles have been one and then they find themselves tearing down that which they built. Rather an all-inclusive philosophy tends to motivate the base.

~Chad

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
Kraj said:
I'm confused...you said that the post was well-put, but now it seems you don't think so?

In any case, the point Chad was making is that the position of a libral tends to take into account consideration for all sides of an issue, including the conservative side. In contrast, a conservative tends to be very focused on his or her own perspective. The effect of this is a more widespread set of views that fall under the "liberal" blanket and a weaker political platform than the more narrowly focused conservative platform.

Much better put than I! Cheers mate.

KenHigg

Local time
Kraj said:

Hum... Ok. So we were kinda on the same page.

Sorry, I quess I did over react a bit. I quess it was from the conditioning of the 'Traditional' banter around here and it was refreshing to see a non bitter, 'I hate Americans' post - I was over egar to respond. Still the post was food for thought. (For me at least :))

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
Kraj said:
Wow, that's a heckuva lot! What happend with your girlfriend? Things had been going well last we heard. :(

The girl is young and making several very poor choices. She's never really grown out of this staunchly independent phase where she believes that people can't and shouldn't grow and / or change in relationships to make things work. And of course it's a gray issue -- you can't change and shouldn't seek to change a partner, but the best relationships, I believe, are the ones in which change is willing to help grease the wheels of happiness -- she believes such things are a destruction of the very rigid idea she holds of her 'self' and as such refuses to grow. I've done my growing as a person and, well, I've kinda left her in the dust behind me and eventually came to see it all as a one-way street of my giving and not receiving.

Tis very sad. She lost a good one who was willing to do a lot for her.

R

Rich

KenHigg said:
I quess it was from the conditioning of the 'Traditional' banter around here and it was refreshing to see a non bitter, 'I hate Americans' post -

Where are those to?

KenHigg

Local time
cheuschober said:
Oh it wasn't an attack the first line was wholly meant in jest.

I wasn't actually referring to whom the leftists must represent as much as whose interests they set out to protect (different concepts).

Merely, the point is that a major difference in political philosophy exists between the rightist and leftists whereby one seeks to protect the interests of the majority (but first must decide on a 'majority') and one seeks to protect the interests of the minority.

More easly put: If you have 34 apples, 24 oranges, and 3 pears the rightist philosophy tends towards protecting the interests of the apples first, the organges are considered but if in direct contention with the apples often must give, and the pears ignored. In leftist philosophy the view is narrowed to the existance of a type: we have pears, oranges and apples -- three entities and each, theoretically, deserves equal right even if those rights are in direct contention with one another. But the leftist does not exclude apples from that view of whose interests must be protected so they are also seeking to protect the same interests of the conservatives if not to the same total effect.

In this way 'extreme liberals' are actually much more similar to conservatives where your 'middle grounders' are much closer to being what a true liberal is. This is all in response to the comments posted earlier in how all liberals believe they are in the middle ground and in so many ways they are. The draw of protection of the conservative agenda as well as the liberal agenda not only weakens their position on the political battlefied in winning opinion but inevitably gravitates them closer to center.

It's silly to believe that liberals fight only for the minority because at some point the minority does become the majority after enough battles have been one and then they find themselves tearing down that which they built. Rather an all-inclusive philosophy tends to motivate the base.

~Chad

That’s a colorful and well done follow - up. Thanks for putting the effort into it. And the 'looking out for the minority' by the Liberals is a noble gesture. The problem as I see it, in the US, you will eventually end up with 280 million individual types to accommodate... (At which point we may be back to square one anyway...?)

What do you think? Am I missing something?

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
KenHigg said:
That’s a colorful and well done follow - up. Thanks for putting the effort into it. And the 'looking out for the minority' by the Liberals is a noble gesture. The problem as I see it, in the US, you will eventually end up with 280 million individual types to accommodate... (At which point we may be back to square one anyway...?)

What do you think? Am I missing something?

Mmmmwhahaha, yes, come closer my pretty. :p That is -exactly- my point as to why no one side really has the equation entirely balanced in my opinion. You do end up with 280 million 'types.' I wish I had the answer as to how to protect everyone's interests fairly but there is no direct way short of the tug of war in our political system where one side has power for a while, then the other side so that if you can't protect both at the same time, maybe it can be done so by 'sharing' the spotlight -- a little bit of good from a two-party system. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to bicker and kill one-another to get there, though?

~chad

KenHigg

Local time
cheuschober said:
Mmmmwhahaha, yes, come closer my pretty. :p That is -exactly- my point as to why no one side really has the equation entirely balanced in my opinion. You do end up with 280 million 'types.' I wish I had the answer as to how to protect everyone's interests fairly but there is no direct way short of the tug of war in our political system where one side has power for a while, then the other side so that if you can't protect both at the same time, maybe it can be done so by 'sharing' the spotlight -- a little bit of good from a two-party system. Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to bicker and kill one-another to get there, though?

~chad

You know, speaking of killing one another, I have mixed feelings about Iraq, I'm glad they're finally getting to vote and decide their destiny, I think it's admirable that loved one are will to die for them to give them that right, etc, etc, etc. The thing I can't fathom is how can W appear on TV night after night in an upbeat mood while bullets are killing my friends. And I'm sure it's not just W, if Kerry was there I sure we'd see the same thing....

Just some thoughts...

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:51
cheuschober said:
From what I can tell from my local landscape and from where I came from (respectively urban northeast liberal
So just because of the geography you are pretty much a left leaner.
cheuschober said:
who could or would be considered leftists since many of the root philosophies of leftists involve consideration for all parties including that of conservatives (leftists fight for the underdog
Interesting, except today GWB seems to be the "underdog" and I sure do not see people like Rich fighting for him, so maybe it is more of a choosen underdog rather than all underdog's? Besides I hear that dribble (The left considers all) but only if the "all" agree with them. You never truly know where a liberal stands. You may think you know, than WHAM, the wind changes, and so does what they stand for. Oh you say, that is just the politicians, which I then assume you mean the left's leaders?
cheuschober said:
I like that, however it would seem that even a neat example, just shows to display the gap the left likes to put in the differances. It has been my experience that the right does care about the "pears", how ever not to the point that they deserve 1/3 of the output when they don't supply the same input. But apples and oranges aside, lets just dive in headfirst. Pretty mush the left wants to throw more money at the poor. The last 40 years has pretty much tought us that has not had the desired effect of helping them out of the position they find themselves in. And as a result it has actually created more poor because the kids see their parents getting a free check from the gov., so they do the same thing (yes not all, but I get to generalize too). Where as the right says, If we are going to throw money at this problem, lets at least try to fix it instead of making it worse. I don't pretend to have the answer, so don't ask. And at least by outward appearance it is in the Left's best interest to keep things like they are because it drives their vote count up.
cheuschober said:
In this way 'extreme liberals' are actually much more similar to conservatives where your 'middle grounders' are much closer to being what a true liberal is.
Ha, that one is dead on!
cheuschober said:
I wish I had the answer as to how to protect everyone's interests fairly but there is no direct way short of the tug of war in our political system where one side has power for a while, then the other side so that if you can't protect both at the same time, maybe it can be done so by 'sharing' the spotlight
So maybe our founding fathers got that right also, well maybe they didn't dictate a two party system, but balancing the power I think is what they had in mind.

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
KenHigg said:
You know, speaking of killing one another, I have mixed feelings about Iraq, I'm glad they're finally getting to vote and decide their destiny, I think it's admirable that loved one are will to die for them to give them that right, etc, etc, etc. The thing I can't fathom is how can W appear on TV night after night in an upbeat mood while bullets are killing my friends. And I'm sure it's not just W, if Kerry was there I sure we'd see the same thing....

Just some thoughts...

You're right. Once we had foolishly gotten into this mess it was to be a mess no matter who had charge of it but you bring up another interesting point of distinction between the right and left. I can't say I've totally embraced it or that I've internally shot this down, more or less that I haven't really analyzed it closely but it was pointed out to me that supposedly it's historically correct to say that the right traditionally seeks to make permanent changes in american life whereas the leftists, all too aware of their attempts to protect all, tend to move towards more temporary solutions. This was presented to me in the form of alaskan oil and how once it is allowed it is considerably more difficult to disallow after billions are put into infrastructure and how that resource will never be the same. I don't know enough political history to go digging for other examples but, if true, then the war would be a perfect example -- a choice, knowingly made when made, that it could not be undone or revoked when increased sanctioning, etc could have it's course altered mid-flight.

~Chad

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
FoFa said:
So just because of the geography you are pretty much a left leaner.

You shouldn't make assumptions like that. In portions of Queens and almost exclusively in Staten Island and certain in parts of Jersey you have extreme rightists. Let's not forget where the RNC happened before the elections.

FoFa said:
Interesting, except today GWB seems to be the "underdog" and I sure do not see people like Rich fighting for him, so maybe it is more of a choosen underdog rather than all underdog's? Besides I hear that dribble (The left considers all) but only if the "all" agree with them. You never truly know where a liberal stands. You may think you know, than WHAM, the wind changes, and so does what they stand for. Oh you say, that is just the politicians, which I then assume you mean the left's leaders?

You do know where a liberal stands -- for the least common denominator as equally as the most common. As the power shifts so too must the political philosophy. My personal sense of self is as a supple individual who is capable of adaptation, growth in new direction and the understanding that 'right' is not a direct concept with black and white answers to everything but is more or less a personal decision within the moment it is made. If we are incapable of growing or changing then we'd all be quite dead for the COUNTLESS times humanity has gotten itself into a pot of hot water for it's choices. Even in the short-lived American history we have examples in the Vietnam War or the Cold War -- what if we never strayed from nuclear armament ... what if we never sought peace? We can and SHOULD change to adapt to the environment of the moment -- it's not being 'weak' or 'indecisive' it's being intelligent.

Hawking, arguably the greatest mind in recorded history, has himself made proofs that changed the entire physics community that now, later on in life, he has taken to DISproving. That takes balls but it's also extremely noble.

FoFa said:
I like that, however it would seem that even a neat example, just shows to display the gap the left likes to put in the differances. It has been my experience that the right does care about the "pears", how ever not to the point that they deserve 1/3 of the output when they don't supply the same input. But apples and oranges aside, lets just dive in headfirst. Pretty mush the left wants to throw more money at the poor. The last 40 years has pretty much tought us that has not had the desired effect of helping them out of the position they find themselves in. And as a result it has actually created more poor because the kids see their parents getting a free check from the gov., so they do the same thing (yes not all, but I get to generalize too). Where as the right says, If we are going to throw money at this problem, lets at least try to fix it instead of making it worse. I don't pretend to have the answer, so don't ask. And at least by outward appearance it is in the Left's best interest to keep things like they are because it drives their vote count up.

I don't know about you but I don't tend to comment on the beauty (or lack thereof) of 'mush' ... mush is just sort of 'mush' whether it's pretty or not. ;)

And I find it stunning that you've been inside the homes of a large (say, 1000 from each region) sampling of those under the poverty line and taken them to psychotherapists to determine exactly why it is they end up relying on the government for income. There can be just as strong an argument that not enough opportunities have been opened to them -- that without proper financial support you can do almost nothing in this country. Certainly there are fairy tales of kids who get out from under the thumb of the financial oppression but I work with those children on a daily basis -- the real poor -- the new york city slum kids. Some of them aren't geniuses, most are just more or less 'normal' and to say that they have every opportunity every other kid in the US has is ludicrious. Not only do the slum schools have a harder time finding equally adequate instructors, most are overcrowded and lacking proper instructional materials. They lack computers for writing papers, they lack motivation too because they know that if they get a B, unlike a priveleged midwest kid (like myself), they can't get a dollar out of mom or dad to pay the portion of tution the shrinking grants can't cover. Even $100 a year is too much when your rent is $2100 a month for a five-person family apartment. Sure you may say, just get a job, then but what does someone have to live for working for the great American institution of wal-mart where benefits, union protection, and pay are all-substandard enough to ensure that you're just as poor when you die as when you started off and that you can waste your life away breaking your back for nothing. And besides, even wal-mart in certain locations, won't hire everyone. I have a friend with a bachelor's degree in literature who's been looking for a job for 3 months now and incapable of so much as even getting a position with Barnes and Noble because there are so few jobs available. Even I have to moonlight to make rent payments because the rich continue to get richer and drive up the costs of living for everyone else. Trickle-down economics simply does not work in a society that consumes more than it creates. So, I ask kindly, that before you make broad sweeping and ignorant statements about the psychological reasoning of those caught under the financial oppression of the times that you A) Actually meet some and spend time with them and B) meet quite a few more to make sure it isn't an isolated incident and C) meet yet more in different regions.

~Chad

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Pretty much everything I'd say about this has been said already. However, I will agree with FoFa that the democrats lean towards continually pumping money into a clearly ineffective system. However, the republican perspective of completely eliminating wealth transfer programs is equally erroneous, and the justification of "trickle down econmics" is a ludicrous rationalization. If either side would compromise just a little we might actually accomplish something in this area. *sigh*

cheuschober

Muse of Fire
Local time
In a brief addendum, I don't think a president who's party holds majority in the house, the Senate, and the courts could even REMOTELY be considered an 'underdog.' It seems to me he has an awful lot of power.

:rolleyes:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
cheuschober said:
In a brief addendum, I don't think a president who's party holds majority in the house, the Senate, and the courts could even REMOTELY be considered an 'underdog.' It seems to me he has an awful lot of power.
Not to mention being born into a wealthy and powerful family... :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom