Paul Harvey says: (1 Viewer)

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:05
SJ McAbney said:
Being an owner of this on vinyl I can assure you that the symptons are awful. :(

do you mean the music is pretty bad?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Friday said:
On November 09, 2005, Paul Harvey received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President George W. Bush. :rolleyes:
what does that mean?

or is it given to everyone, like the purple heart medal that soldiers get for cutting their finger opening a tin of beans.

Col

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Friday said:
do you mean the music is pretty bad?
Thinking back on it...yes. Ian Gillan, of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, with a new band; early 80s rock with pitch-phased voices, etc.

Seeing that the re-released CD is going for about $75 on the Amazon marketplace I wonder how much the original vinyl in good condition would fetch. Along with all my other classic rock vinyl...e.g. Alice Cooper's School's Out in which the album cover was also a fold out desk, and all the early AC/DC stuff.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
ColinEssex said:
what does that mean?

or is it given to everyone, like the purple heart medal that soldiers get for cutting their finger opening a tin of beans.

Col

evidently it doesn't take any brains...

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Thinking back on it...yes. Ian Gillan, of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, with a new band; early 80s rock with pitch-phased voices, etc.

Seeing that the re-released CD is going for about $75 on the Amazon marketplace I wonder how much the original vinyl in good condition would fetch. Along with all my other classic rock vinyl...e.g. Alice Cooper's School's Out in which the album cover was also a fold out desk, and all the early AC/DC stuff.

Right now there is one on Ebay with a buy it now price of $45.99 (US dollars).

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Wonder why the CD is worth more. Probably because it carries extra tracks.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
SJ McAbney said:
Wonder why the CD is worth more. Probably because it carries extra tracks.

Probably 'cause CD's are more popular than vinyl. After all, most folks don't even have a turntable anymore.

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:05
When will the bible-beating, rhetoric-spouting, "good Christian" people realize that the United States most definitely was NOT founded on Christian principles, nor religion, but most certainly WAS founded on FREEDOM of religion. Any religion. We are supposed to have the right to believe as we choose, no matter what we choose. If you want your children to pray to your god, teach them to do so, instill your mantra, and let them decide. Spirituality is an individual concern, not a roadmap created by someone else to control the masses. Don't pray in my schools and I won't think in your church. When I go to a football game, I don't want to hear a prayer, I want to see the game...if I wanted a prayer, I'd have gone to a church.

Last time I checked, we are still taught that our Founding Fathers were fleeing religious persecution...isn't it ironic that the opressed have become the opressors in a mere 200 years?

and as Paul Harvey says:
"Now you know the rest of the story....good day."

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:05
jsanders said:
Sometimes being in the middle alloy you some leeway.
That's the funny part, all you liberals say your in the middle :p

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
I'm guessing that if a bunch of Christain people establish a country, it would be likely that they considered their Christain beliefs when they did up the rules.
Which is exactly why they went out of their way to keep their beliefs seperate from their government. If these smart men believed that Christian morals were essential to government, why didn't they write them into the Constitution? Would you have me believe that a group of men who designed the most stable government in modern history simply couldn't conceive of a government not dictated by Christian beliefs? Mmmhmmm, sure...

KenHigg said:
However, seems they were a bit short-sighted when they claimed to want seperation of Church and State and then put the word 'God' all over everything... :confused:
Ummm... what, excatly, did they put the word "God" on (other than one instance of "nature's God" in the Declaration of Independence)?

FoFa said:
That's the funny part, all you liberals say your in the middle :p
Actually, the funny part is that when you're extremely conservative everybody except other extreme conservatives looks like a liberal. (And vice versa.)

KenHigg

Local time
Kraj said:
Which is exactly why they went out of their way to keep their beliefs seperate from their government. If these smart men believed that Christian morals were essential to government, why didn't they write them into the Constitution? Would you have me believe that a group of men who designed the most stable government in modern history simply couldn't conceive of a government not dictated by Christian beliefs? Mmmhmmm, sure...

Seems you're pretty much dug in on this when you twist a 'considered' into a 'dictated', etc. In which case I doubt anything substainal will come of our dialog... :)

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
KenHigg said:
Seems you're pretty much dug in on this when you twist a 'considered' into a 'dictated', etc. In which case I doubt anything substainal will come of our dialog... :)
Fair enough, but the law doesn't suggest behavior, it dictates it. If Christians want the law to reflect Christian morals, then they want Christian morals to dictate behavior. Perhaps the framers were well aware that if they codified their beliefs (as Christians today want to do), they would be dictating.

If you want Christian morals to be "considered" in the lawmaking process, then elect Christians to office and trust that they will consider their morals and make the right decision (which might not be the "Christian" one).

KenHigg

Local time
Kraj said:
Fair enough, but the law doesn't suggest behavior, it dictates it. If Christians want the law to reflect Christian morals, then they want Christian morals to dictate behavior. Perhaps the framers were well aware that if they codified their beliefs (as Christians today want to do), they would be dictating.

If you want Christian morals to be "considered" in the lawmaking process, then elect Christians to office and trust that they will consider their morals and make the right decision (which might not be the "Christian" one).

Excellent points. I think I'm closer to you on this than I may be willing to openly admit ;) . For instance, our Pastor is on the 'let us have prayer time in school' and 'leave the Ten Commandments in the courthouse' bandwagons. However, my stance is that these are fine as long as the local community want it that way. But if issues arise, do away with them for I as a Christian would not want Islamic or Buddha stuff everywhere...

R

Rich

Kenny said:
do away with them for I as a Christian would not want Islamic or Buddha stuff everywhere...
why not, what are you afraid of?:confused:

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:05
See the seperation of church and state was brought about to keep government out of religon. As I understand it they wanted to be able to serve their God as their religon permits. They didn't want state ran churchs (Oh hail the mighty and powerful God Hillary Clinton). What it does not say is it has to keep religon out of government. Now that the problem seems to be that would be a mighty fine line, and there we have it. But I think each community should be able to handle these issue on their level. Why should a public school in the bible belt in a city with a population of 350 have to suffer because some libreral nut in LA didn't like it there? I think the swings too much in either direction are bad.

KenHigg

Local time
FoFa said:
See the seperation of church and state was brought about to keep government out of religon. As I understand it they wanted to be able to serve their God as their religon permits. They didn't want state ran churchs (Oh hail the mighty and powerful God Hillary Clinton). What it does not say is it has to keep religon out of government. Now that the problem seems to be that would be a mighty fine line, and there we have it. But I think each community should be able to handle these issue on their level. Why should a public school in the bible belt in a city with a population of 350 have to suffer because some libreral nut in LA didn't like it there? I think the swings too much in either direction are bad.

I too would tend to go for the local control thing, for the good reasons you pointed out :)

R

Rich

FoFa said:
Why should a public school in the bible belt in a city with a population of 350 have to suffer because some libreral nut in LA didn't like it there? I think the swings too much in either direction are bad.
Why should a free thinker have to suffer indoctrination in the bible belt?:confused:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
FoFa said:
See the seperation of church and state was brought about to keep government out of religon. [...] What it does not say is it has to keep religon out of government. Now that the problem seems to be that would be a mighty fine line, and there we have it.
That's an excellent way of expressing that. Kudos! I also agree with choices being made by communities.

Rich, if a person is truly a free thinker then they will continue to think freely whether or not a group around them chooses to pray. No one is being forced to pray.

R

Rich

Kraj said:
That's an excellent way of expressing that. Kudos! I also agree with choices being made by communities.
Aren't those the same communities that hated blacks and now hate gays too?:confused:

Rich, if a person is truly a free thinker then they will continue to think freely whether or not a group around them chooses to pray. No one is being forced to pray.
They have to be given a chance to think freely though, don't they?

KenHigg

Local time
Kraj said:

And they would also be FREE to move to a more liberal community :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom