Piers Morgan & Megan Markle (1 Viewer)

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:40
regard to words and terminology and what they mean and don't mean.
Not really any ambiguity to "half-breed" is there? And what would be the point in addressing it unless it were to allude to inferiority. Gold-Digging Z-rated actress is one thing and they are characteristics that can be altered and people held to accountable for them.

One cannot chose their linage (although that seems to be the whole trend with the "I identify" clowns). To harp on it like our bright boy does is nothing but mal-intent and no matter how he tries to hide behind his "different language, different meaning" excuse, anyone with a nodding acquaintance with reality can see right through it. It is just plain rude and there is no excuse for it.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:40
I like a good ribbing as much as anyone but as Popeye is famous for saying: "I's had all I's can stand, and I's cant stands no more!"

I am in total agreement and I have decided to add this person on my ignore list! The second person to be honoured in this way.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Thanks for the clarification. I know as a mod and as being the "good guy" that you are, you straddle the fence as much as possible. I try to do the same but fail more often than I succeed.

What is really funny (or not funny) is that I can be quite the pig myself and am often scolding myself for my initial thought and, at times, words. However, when I am called on it, I take ownership of if and if required, humble myself and admit my shortcomings.

Going to stop now before I start repeating myself and sound like the old man on the park bench, feeding the pigeons and being avoided by a public that has no use for me...

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:40
Does Putting members on ignore work? If I put Col on ignore but follow someone who reacts to Col, don't I have too take Col off ignore to figure out what happened?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
If they quote him, all you will see is the image below. As you can see, even though I am the one who quoted him, once I placed him on the list, it still gets sanitized.

Capture.PNG

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Does Putting members on ignore work? If I put Col on ignore but follow someone who reacts to Col, don't I have too take Col off ignore to figure out what happened?
I have had mixed luck with it, and my feeling is that it provides me a net benefit.

Sure, there are times when I'll get a notification about someone else's activity - and then I look at it, and realize it's part of a back and forth with someone I ignore (Col, Arnel, Ad@m), and out of curiousity I do often, by that point, tend to 'show ignored content' to check it out.

BUT it still saves me from A LOT of grief and unnecessary brief emotions that I would otherwise feel when the ignored person starts something. And it also saves me from knowing when the ignored person responds to something I said, which might otherwise rile me up and get me back into the back-and-forth which is so bothersome in the first place.

As to Colin, here is where I stand. I actually don't care quite as much about using outdated terms which are now considered deragatory. Don't misunderstand me - it still might be wrong, I'm just saying that's not the core reason why his participation in AWF is appalling to me.

It's very simple: Constantly insulting other nations & peoples as a whole. About things that really do amount to "making fun of people", and the majority of which aren't true anyway. I remember once I responded to one of his diatribes making fun of Americans by alluding to Brits and the need for dentistry. First, to this day I feel bad that I did that, stooping to his level is something I had hoped to avoid being drawn into. Second, I really don't even know if the stereotype is true. Tons of people have bad teeth here too, and probably everywhere. I actually DON'T enjoy knowing that I might even have possibly made someone feel like sh*t by referencing a stereotyped/rumored undesirable aspect of themselves in a mocking way to truly hurt feelings.

But I am human. I can be angered and drawn towards participating in that sickness as easily as anyone can when buttons are pushed.

That's why, IMHO, if you're a person of decent character who'd like to stay true to their own moral standards, put Col on ignore.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I joined AWF back in 2010 for two distinct reasons.

1. For technical help on databases I was building for the school district.
2. To spar with Col, Rich, Brian, Vassago, dan-cat, Rabbie, and many others.

These folks had been on a tear for years, and I wanted to get some. ;)
For me, it's hardly worth the effort to block Col he's barely on here anymore.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:40
@ColinEssex - Jon does not like us banning people, and you have not actually crossed the line that he set for that privilege (of being banned.) However, you and I have discussed this before. A discussion using "half-breed" or "half-caste" or any other comment involving lineage is simple not nice. Did you have any choice in YOUR lineage? She didn't. Nobody does. Therefore, the "half-xxxxx" comment is damning here for something she cannot change. That is impolite.

You call here a gold-digger? THAT is a behavior thing and, if it is true, she is responsible for it. While I currently don't believe that she IS a gold-digger, I do believe she has ulterior motives for what she does. My guess is more along ideology or political lines, but that is so common among actors and former actors that it would surprise no one.

Using derogatory terms against a public figure based on ancestry is simply uncouth and is typical of the behavior of less socialized people. I have seen you hold much better conversations. This particular line of insult is beneath you, if you would only just realize it.

Side note: To the best of my knowledge, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, is not a member of this forum. IF she ever joins, the MOMENT you use any variant of half-caste or half-breed in her direction, you would be suspended for as long as Jon would allow it.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I can't remember when I originally joined, but for all practical purposes I joined and started engaging when I took a job in 04/2020 and MS Access was going to be a thing and especially, and unfortunately, Access-With-Sharepoint. UA wasn't an option for me and AWF seemed popular, glad I came.

But I found out I greatly value the social aspect of it as well. I participate in no forms of Social Media (other than Linked In for job hunting every few years), so AWF is my outlet, for all the many useless (and occasionally a useful) thoughts I have about things ... As well as hearing other people's perspectives. And interacting with people from other countries is especially valuable to me. Having married someone from another nation, I like to think I try to be a global-minded person, not mentally silo'ed, but genuinely try to understand and value the global community. Maybe that's why, although thoughtful critiques of a nation are fine, but relentlessly making fun of other people and particularly huge groups of them is pretty offensive to me. Especially when you have to assume most people nurture at least a bit of pride in the nation they're a part of.
And isn't it a little bit ironic that one of the stereotypes Col will mock is Americans supposed lack of awareness about other countries/nations, but then proceeds to use offensive language and proudly assert his total lack of contact with other human beings...Plus, if you think YOU are BETTER than that, why would you make mocking other people's nations a full time amusement? Wouldn't a person who appreciates & understands different people/places be sort of the opposite?

One of the first things I learned years ago after spending many visits & time in Mexico was that some of my assumptions were so wrong. I realized 'wow, this culture has some huge strengths that I wish we had!'

So I value my engagement with others here, those both near and afar. I hope that I never develop such a bitterness/jealousy/resentment against a certain people-group that I relentlessly mock them and obsess over their downsides..

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
@ColinEssex - Jon does not like us banning people, and you have not actually crossed the line that he set for that privilege (of being banned.) However, you and I have discussed this before. A discussion using "half-breed" or "half-caste" or any other comment involving lineage is simple not nice. Did you have any choice in YOUR lineage? She didn't. Nobody does. Therefore, the "half-xxxxx" comment is damning here for something she cannot change. That is impolite.

You call here a gold-digger? THAT is a behavior thing and, if it is true, she is responsible for it. While I currently don't believe that she IS a gold-digger, I do believe she has ulterior motives for what she does. My guess is more along ideology or political lines, but that is so common among actors and former actors that it would surprise no one.

Using derogatory terms against a public figure based on ancestry is simply uncouth and is typical of the behavior of less socialized people. I have seen you hold much better conversations. This particular line of insult is beneath you, if you would only just realize it.

Side note: To the best of my knowledge, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, is not a member of this forum. IF she ever joins, the MOMENT you use any variant of half-caste or half-breed in her direction, you would be suspended for as long as Jon would allow it.
Everyone seems to agree that the bad thing isn't merely criticizing someone's behavior/choices/character, etc. (For example, I feel roughly the same way Col does about Megan Markle. Complete contempt would be a pretty close to accurate).
It's the race-based jabs that's not cool.
Weird, too....coming from someone who calls "Americans racist".

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
I joined AWF back in 2010 for two distinct reasons.

1. For technical help on databases I was building for the school district.
2. To spar with Col, Rich, Brian, Vassago, dan-cat, Rabbie, and many others.

These folks had been on a tear for years, and I wanted to get some. ;)
For me, it's hardly worth the effort to block Col he's barely on here anymore.

Agreed, belive it or not, I kind of LIKE the guy. Just cant deal with the rudeness might now so I exercise my right/ability to ignore.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
(y)(y)(y)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Doc - I like to think you and I have been virtual friends for many years. I generally respect your comments and discussions. I respect your post regarding the phrase that starts 'half @@@@@'.
Therefore, I will refrain from using that phrase when referring Miss Sparkle. Plus, I apologise to those regular posters who I may have deliberately 'wound up' by saying it. There is no excuse, but the endless posts about USA politics are more boring than watching paint dry. That's why I didn't post for months, although I did check if anything interesting was said. I did it as a guest, not logged in.
I know members here will think I'm lying, but I am not actually racist, we have had many fantastic French students staying with us over 20 odd years of hosting. Many still stay in touch. I love Spain and Spanish people, so I think I would like Mexico. There are many other countries and cultures I like a lot, ranging from Australia to Nepal to India and many more I would love to revisit.
I realise many regular posters here have me on ignore, but hopefully, I can tone down my comments to something more acceptable.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
the endless posts about USA politics are more boring than watching paint dry.

Those of us in the USA often have similar opinions regarding our biased USA-based news outlets and their political reporting. "More boring than watching paint dry." "More boring than watching grass grow." "More boring than watching cars rust." Yep, had quite a few of these comparatives, and I get it.

You find our commentary on politics sort of like listening to a back-alley cat fight or like listening to the auditions of Simon Cowell's "Got Talent" shows based only on the losing acts. Painful in the extreme. But what can I tell you? People like to talk about weather even though they can't do anything about it - and we like to talk politics with the same fervor as well as the same futility. Human nature, I think.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Yes, I agree it's nice to discuss these things, but it seemed for a few months it was an obsession on the forums. However, I think the USA takes a more proactive approach to politics than the UK. We vote every 5 years, and in the interim, we just let them get on with things, sometimes quietly muttering to ourselves.
We couldn't care less if Boris has slept with loads of women, that's what men do.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes. Our previous concern a few years ago was how many woman Hillary had slept with. We knew that Bill's statistics on that subject were uncountable. I was hoping for an accounting of how many cigars he wasted.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Because in 2016 she was running for President of the USA, become a force in national politics. I DID say "a few years ago." It is less of a concern now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom