Problems after converting from mdb to accdb (1 Viewer)

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:14
Client database written eons ago--finally convinced them to install 2016 version so I could convert front and backend to accdb. Total of 5 users. Suddenly they can't start a new batch of invoices--"Exclusive Access of the MS Access Database denied." At the time of error she was only one using the db. After some research I turned off Compact on Close, unchecked name AutoCorrect info and Perform name AutoCorrect. This was written so long ago that external macros were used, so I changed that to vba and got rid of the macros on the form in question. Still having the same problem. Any ideas what to do next? Thanks!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:14
Maybe convert any DoMenuItem to something newer?

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:14
on all FE and BE, you need to set on Option->Client Settings->Advanced->Default Open Mode->Shared.

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
arnelgp, just checked and the Default Open Mode is shared. Permissions on the folder containing the BE and Fe are all checked for everyone--same for the FE and BE file permissions. This all had to be thus, because they had been entering data and printing reports all morning before they tried to do their invoicing.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:14
Does the error still occur after the printing?

ellenr

Registered User.
Local time
theDBguy, I do have many in code, but none in the form giving the trouble. A couple of questions: will the new version always give an error when it encounters a DoMenuItem? Am I correct in assuming that it isn't backward compatible? ie, will the mdb run if I now save the accdb as an mdb after making some of the changes? Since they were running the new version half a day before the problem surfaced, I think they would have run into some DoMenuItems. Not sure how to proceed since I cannot get all the changes made in one night so the plant can run tomorrow.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
theDBguy, I do have many in code, but none in the form giving the trouble. A couple of questions: will the new version always give an error when it encounters a DoMenuItem? Am I correct in assuming that it isn't backward compatible? ie, will the mdb run if I now save the accdb as an mdb after making some of the changes? Since they were running the new version half a day before the problem surfaced, I think they would have run into some DoMenuItems. Not sure how to proceed since I cannot get all the changes made in one night so the plant can run tomorrow.
My feelings were some menu items may have been discontinued and replaced. It was just a thought. I can't say for sure without seeing your db.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:14
DoMenuItem is A97 and older, I think. It's all replaced by runcommand options now.
What version of Access were they using previously? Have they installed 64bit access of 32bit access. That might make a difference.

Is there no going back? Can you not revert to the old version while you test this?

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
Could you please post the code behind the form (batch invoices) that is causing the problem(s)?

EDIT: look towards the bottom of this thread for some info that might help:

Speciffically try to decompile and re-compile the front-end after conversion to accdb. And you mentioned front and back-end so we all assume that each user has their own local copy of the front-end linked to the shared back-end, right?
Cheers,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom