Protection of application codes (1 Viewer)

Amin_66

Local time
Tomorrow, 04:09
Hello friends
Is there a way to protect the program code written in Access, other than by logging in and putting the password on the coding section?
please guide me

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:39
Access, being a small-business application developer tool, is not oriented to high-security environments. You can do things to make it more difficult for someone to see your code, but a determined hacker can usually break through.

It IS possible to create a .ACCDE file which has only the compiled version of the code, not the original text-based coding. If you ONLY wanted to protect your code and not the data, this might be a possible solution. But I'm sure there are those on this forum who can better advise you on how to really tighten down your code. For instance, look at some of arnelgp's solutions and some of the security suggestions by isladogs.

IF you are going to take this route, NEVER convert your development copy of your DB. Make a copy when you are ready to release the code and convert the COPY to the .ACCDE file. (If you convert your development copy, you will never develop with it again because.... no code.)

vhung

Local time
Today, 16:39
Is there a way to protect the program code written in Access, other than by logging in and putting the password on the coding section?
Good day...
Locked your MVBA codes (tools: Project properties) with password is the quick way to protect the MSAccess program codes.

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 23:39
Good day...
Locked your MVBA codes (tools: Project properties) with password is the quick way to protect the program codes.
Its quick but totally insecure. The VBA password can easily be bypassed. Don't rely on that alone for security.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

I also recommend using a ACCDE when deploying your database to your users.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
My guidance is to not worry about theft. Rather, worry about forming lasting relationships with customers that you trust.

vhung

Local time
I also recommend using a ACCDE when deploying your database to your users.
Good day...
Accde could be fine, seems pro-mode, only you need to debug-compile codes error.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
only you need to debug-compile codes error.
you need to do that anyway. Wouldn't dream of releasing an app that wouldn't compile

vhung

Local time
you need to do that anyway. Wouldn't dream of releasing an app that wouldn't compile
Correct, compile error is necessary, it is better to use Accde file, safer for any codes modification by anyone.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 19:39
My guidance is to not worry about theft. Rather, worry about forming lasting relationships with customers that you trust.
Now THERE'S an idea!

I figure that if the customer was savvy enough to alter your code, they wouldn't have needed your services in the first place. True, they could give it to someone else but (AFAIK) there is no way to completely lock down your code.

The last AUG that Crystal hosted and Colin participated in however did show how one Dev can actually use the native code but again, I think Colin may have sussed that part out too...

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Another thing to consider, is that if the customer is paying you for your work, then the code belongs to them.
If they have users they don't trust, then deploy an Accde but, a person in senior management should always have access to the original Accdb.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Excellent point, Minty. I was aware of this while working for the Navy, which is why I can't post any of the really good utilities from my patch-tracking database. For USA companies and individuals, if you create a program because of employment, either by corporate project or by external contract, it is a "Work for Hire" under the terms of the Copyright Act of 1975 (and as subsequently amended). Works for hire belong to the hirer, not the hiree. (Yeah, I know .... spell check doesn't acknowledge those words, but they have literary merit.)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
is that if the customer is paying you for your work, then the code belongs to them.
only if they have commissioned you to design something specific for them. If you have an app that you sell as an app to all and sundry, then the code belongs to you, the customer does not have a right (unless allowed in the terms of sale) to modify the code or sell on to another party.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
@CJ_London - Yes of course you are dead right.
I was (without specifying it) referring to an application written FOR specifically for a client as their's, rather than to sell as an outright app.
It's a small but necessary and important distinction.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:39
If you have an app that you sell as an app to all and sundry, then the code belongs to you,
locked your code if you don't want someone to modify it.
does it belong to you? where did you learned it, from the net, books, some forum?
can same code be found everywhere? i don't know if it will stand in court.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@CJ_London - Yes of course you are dead right.
I was (without specifying it) referring to an application written FOR specifically for a client as their's, rather than to sell as an outright app.
It's a small but necessary and important distinction.

The ownership further depends on exactly WHERE the code was developed. No part of it can be developed on the customer's equipment. You can test it at the customer site but in that case the fixes have to be made off-site. Otherwise there is a co-mingling of resources which complicates the matter tremendously.

Minor correction: It is actually the U. S. Copyright act of 1976, which redefined a LOT of U.S.Code Title 17. If you look up "U.S. Copyright Act of 1976" you can find a central article with links to the individual paragraphs and sections, plus relevant amendments and treaties that affect the treatment of newer media and foreign copyrights.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:39
It is actually the U. S. Copyright act of 1976, which redefined a LOT of U.S.Code Title 17
does it apply to the MS Access that everyone have?
code that can exists everywhere?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 19:39
For copywrite infringement, you probably need more than a couple of lines of code to be identical. Ideas can't be copywrited so we can both write payroll applications which perform all the same functions but there is no copywrite infringement.

If you are developing an application that will be sold to the general public, Access is not a good platform since you cannot compile your code due to the nature of the platform. I have two applications that I sell but they are not mass marketed. The clients have to sign agreements and due to the nature of the products,, they are not something anyone would copy and pass around. Most large companies wouldn't attempt to steal the code because the cost of "renting" it is pretty insignificant to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom