Relevant Quotes (1 Viewer)

jpl458

Local time
Today, 03:38
Lord Acton"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”
Isaac Asimov"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent.”
Karl Marx"If you can cut the people off from their history, then they can be easily persuaded."
I find the last one interesting in light of removing books from libraries.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:38
Do not confuse removing sexually explicit books from school libraries to protect the innocence of children with the book burnings of the Nazi's and other cultuers where knowledge needed to be destroyed.

Do not forget:
Lavrentiy Beria "Show me the man and i'll show you the crime"

Lavrentiy Beria was the most ruthless and longest-serving secret police chief in Joseph Stalin’s reign of terror in Russia and Eastern Europe, bragged that he could prove criminal conduct on anyone, even the innocent.

This is the way our DOJ and FBI are currently operating.

jpl458

Local time
I fail to see the explicit sex that was in the Diary of Anne Frank. DJT appears to have broken the law. If you or I had kept secret documents in our possession, we would be in jail already. He was asked politely for a year to return the docs, and didn't. That is a crime, and he should be held accountable for that. That's why there are trials. He is innocent until proven guilty. I do not believe the the DOJ and the FBI are singularly out to get him. He pretty much brought it on himself. As I've noted before, I know what he tried to pull with Trump Tower in Chicago, because I have a family member that was involved. That was 25 years or so ago. He has not changed since then.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you or I had kept secret documents in our possession, we would be in jail already.
What about -HE WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES and had the ultimate power to declassify so none of the documents he had were classified? WHY is it OK with you that Biden who was a Senator or VP at the time he took all the papers he has stashed all around several states and who DID NOT HAVE THE AUTHORITY to declassify any of the documents he took, nor did Pence who also took documents home. You never said he committed a crime. We really cannot have one set of laws for the evil orange man and a different set for others.
I know what he tried to pull with Trump Tower in Chicago, because I have a family member that was involved. That was 25 years or so ago. He has not changed since then.
I don't know what he did in Chicago but if he wasn't charged, he didn't commit a crime. You may not like what he did whatever it was, but he wasn't charged. If you are talking about the sign in 2014, I can certainly understand the distress of the unit owners who were affected but that doesn't make it illegal in fact --- " As a result of the fiasco, Emanuel initiated a study on how to alter the rules to avert similar signage controversies in the future." So, no one else will be able to add a sign like that but Trump's is not illegal.
I fail to see the explicit sex that was in the Diary of Anne Frank.
I have no idea why this book was singled out. You'll have to ask the crazy people.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:38
Pat, a MINOR quibble here... DJT perhaps had the ability to declassify documents - but there is a formal procedure that he would have had to follow to do that, and the documents AS FOUND showed no evidence of the "declassification trail" (like a security audit trail) that is part of the process. As much as I liked what Trump did, he WAS a bit loose with the rules. Not nearly as bad (in my mind) as Hillary and her illicit mail server... but loose.
The part that irks me was that the mail server incident didn't get her arrested for violations of the Federal Records Management laws. All of this loose treatment of classified documents goes back farther than any of those incidents. I wonder if ANY Senator or Representative is trustworthy given the sensitive nature of the documents they can access.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
but there is a formal procedure that he would have had to follow to do that
Not according to the links I posted in another thread. Several presidents have written executive orders regarding declassification but it is to clarify the process for OTHERS. They can do pretty much whatever they want. Trump's failure here was in not actually releasing the documents to the public as was his intention.
All of this loose treatment of classified documents goes back farther than any of those incidents.
That's the point Doc. If you're a nobody or Trump, they throw the book at you. Look at Julian Assange under house arrest for over a decade for "publishing" documents he had nothing to do with obtaining. I was pretty sure we didn't shoot the messenger. Apparently whatever Wikileaks published (an it was so long ago, I can't even remember the circumstances) was so embarrassing, that Obama felt he had to punish the messenger. I think the person who stole the documents got a sex change operation out of it and a short prison sentence (unless I'm confusing two cases). Just long enough for you and me to pay for his/her surgery.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Lord Acton"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.”
Isaac Asimov"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent.”
Karl Marx"If you can cut the people off from their history, then they can be easily persuaded."
That would be more compelling, if it weren't true that most of the book-removing pertains to content having nothing to do with history, but rather is meant to normalize the latest, newest, very much not-history, trends of sexual experimentation...AND defying an agreement that 99.9% of civilization has easily agreed to for millennia: NEVER mix KIDS & SEX- period, end of story.

Combine that with the fact that progressives have been removing & trying to remove literature that hurts some people's feelings or presents a reality they'd rather deny, important literature like Mark Twain, and it all adds up to a rather debunking of what MSNBC may have convinced you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom