Sen. Barack Obama - US first black president? (1 Viewer)

R

Rich

you could of said daft black woman and been correct -
if a she was a woman, black and daft.

you were stating a fact however if you say daft .n... woman - then it has an racial overtone -

same with Chinky - you can say daft chinese woman - you wouldn't its too much of a mouth full and shorten to daft woman - thats ok no racial overtones - and you are stating a fact or an educated opion (about the daft bit) .

there is implied an insult as to the intellegence - which is neutral - could be applied to all and any one - the second part is personalising this to a person - woman - so although possibly rude not insulting in a racial/social way

regards

Now you're being racist suggesting that a Chinese woman could be referred to as a Chinky, something I've never done oddly enough:confused:

R

Rich

Black Bastard, Fat Bastard, Ginger Bastard, French Bastard, Big nosed bastard, Big Eared Bastard.

These my all be true - but there is a maybe a certain negativity attached to the physical description before the bastard, so I don't know about black bastard.

One new years eve many years ago - whilst at a taxi rank waiting endlessly to get home from town - in a queue with several hundred others - and not many taxis around at all - I heard my mate should at the top of his voice quite angrily - You f***ing black bastards!!! I was a little surprised to say the least as were the group of black men infront of us. My mate was actually shouting at two black cabs who either didn't stop at the rank. So on this occasion at least there was no racial motive behind the words.

Could have caused all kinds of trouble though - and I wouldn't recommend it.

Isn't it odd but it wasn't that long ago that referring to anyone simply as a bastard, would have brought swift retribution, my how times change

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 20:30
You miss the point again:rolleyes:
I refuse to be gagged by you, the government, uncle Tom Cobley and all. I know how I FEEL and have no reason to be ashamed of it!

and you're not, with knobs on. So stop moaning and let others have their opinion.

I've never thought you racist, I've never implied it. You're simply not interested in how the term 'chinky' came to be. The term didn't fall out of the sky, it is derived from the racial insult 'chink'. That is a fact. It's a crass term which I find unnecessary. Now get over it.

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 12:30
Now you're being racist suggesting that a Chinese woman could be referred to as a Chinky, something I've never done oddly enough:confused:

No thats not what I meant to come across( aplogises if you have taken it this way - this was an example only and not meant personally - you know my grammer/spelling ) - but by using the word chinky (I know you mean the food) you inadvertantly are insulting women and men of chinese decendant by the use of this word - as they find the word offensive - if you meant it to define a meal which we all agree is bloody good food , however the overtone are more than that in relation to this phrase

R

Rich

and you're not, with knobs on. So stop moaning and let others have their opinion.

I've never thought you racist, I've never implied it. You're simply not interested in how the term 'chinky' came to be. The term didn't fall out of the sky, it is derived from the racial insult 'chink'. That is a fact. It's a crass term which I find unnecessary. Now get over it.

I'm not moaning, just stating a point of fact, oh and isn't Limey a racist term?:rolleyes:

R

Rich

No thats not what I meant to come across( aplogises if you have taken it this way - this was an example only and not meant personally - you know my grammer/spelling ) - but by using the word chinky (I know you mean the food) you inadvertantly are insulting women and men of chinese decendant by the use of this word - as they find the word offensive - if you meant it to define a meal which we all agree is bloody good food , however the overtone are more than that in relation to this phrase

Well when we're all treated as equal by those who rule us Gary I'll consider being politically correct

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not moaning, just stating a point of fact, oh and isn't Limey a racist term?:rolleyes:

What point of fact, that you refuse to be gagged? That truism is undeniable :rolleyes:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I wonder to what these thugs were referring to with the term :confused:

WARNING: Bad language involved.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
I note that once again you didn't answer the question:rolleyes:

*Sigh* sidetrack time. No it's not racial. It refers to the British which as you know is a multi-racial society.

R

Rich

to the British which as you know is a multi-racial society.

If that is the case why is the law not equal why aren't those who find the word Brit offensive not protected in the same way that referring to a Pakistani as a Paki is:rolleyes:
Try again, you've kept telling me that the term Chinky is offensive, now tell me again why Limey and Pom aren't?:rolleyes:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
If that is the case why is the law not equal why aren't those who find the word Brit offensive not protected in the same way that referring to a Pakistani as a Paki is:rolleyes:

Have you no clue of your societys history :confused: Are you truely that ignorant of the difference between these two terms, the historical context in which the term 'paki' originated and is still used. It's so sad that someone of your intelligence attempts to liken these two terms as the same.

The term 'paki' has caused misery to thousands in the UK society. Why are you not sensitive to this :confused: Why do you try to conceal this fact with such an absurd comparison :confused:

R

Rich

Have you no clue of your societys history :confused: Are you truely that ignorant of the difference between these two terms, the historical context in which the term 'paki' originated and is still used. It's so sad that someone of your intelligence attempts to liken these two terms as the same.

The term 'paki' has caused misery to thousands in the UK society. Why are you not sensitive to this :confused: Why do you try to conceal this fact with such an absurd comparison :confused:

Are you not aware that the terms Brit,Limey,Pom etc. are equally offensive to the island race of British peoples:rolleyes:

R

Rich

What's a pom?

A commonly-heard alternative theory is that POM is a shortened acronym of Prisoner of His/Her Majesty (POHM) or Prisoner Of Mother England (POME). As many of Australia's first settlers were convicts, sentenced to transportation, this theory holds that upon arrival in the country they would be given a uniform with POHM emblazoned on the back, and that convicts with an extended stay on Australian soil would no longer have to wear the shirt and would often refer to newer entrants into the country as "Pohmmys". Other suggestions hold that POM is a different acronym, such as "Prisoner of Mother England" or "Port of Melbourne". These etymologies are considered by some researchers to be false, as the term "pommy" was coined long before acronyms were used in common parlance. Moreover, there is no record of prisoners in Australia ever wearing such uniforms.

Another theory is that it is rhyming slang for tommy.

The use of the word "Pom" is contentious. Some British people living in Australasia find the term offensive and demeaning, others find it harmless and amusing. Attitudes to the use of the word have varied over the years, from the 1960s when slogans such as 'bash a pom a day' were heard on New Zealand radio, to today, when the word has become so entrenched that few Australians and New Zealanders see any reason to avoid using the word, some even justifying the use of the word as being "endearing". In December 2006 the Advertising Standards Board of Australia unanimously ruled that the word "Pom" was a part of the Australian vernacular and was largely used in "playful or affectionate" terms. As a consequence, the board ruled that the word did not constitute a racial slur and could be freely used in advertising. The Board was responding to a complaint filed by a community group called British People Against Racial Discrimination.

'Course it's not a racist slur is it:rolleyes:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Are you not aware that the terms Brit,Limey,Pom etc. are equally offensive to the island race of British peoples:rolleyes:

I doubt it. The British, atleast the English, are a tolerent , broadminded people confident enough in themselves to be the first to poke fun at themselves, and take the intended insults of lesser races as signs of their inferiority.

Brian

R

Rich

I doubt it. The British, atleast the English, are a tolerent , broadminded people confident enough in themselves to be the first to poke fun at themselves, and take the intended insults of lesser races as signs of their inferiority.

Brian

Well I wouldn't have gone so far as to brand the Yanks inferior but I take your point;)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
It's quite easy to interpret your statement as using 'woman' as a derogatory term if you see it in this context. I'm not saying this was meant by you, just that perhaps your woman driver had heard this statement with that 'edge' several times before.

I agree and said in an earlier post
I suppose I should have said " you are being stupid" but in the heat of the moment one is not always totally correct.

Mindyou I often found when conducting performance reviews with female staff that they personalised everything such that "that was stupid(silly or whatever)" was invariably taken to be "your stupid" so it may not have made any difference.

Brian

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Rich, I'm sorry but you are now officially talking out of your rear-end :rolleyes:

Link

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom