Simple db with simple questions (1 Viewer)

Vyrys

Local time
Today, 06:43
Hi..

I have created a simple db and only have 3 tables. They are not related.
I'm only using it as a basic inventory feature, as well as some history and quick look ups. I've been using several excel spreadsheets, but with a couple of other people in the dept saving them and making new ones all over the place, we've decided to give Access a try.

Here is where I'm at:
Table 1 - all devices in our company...including computers, printers, network switches, cameras, etc.
Table 2 - all software in our company. Titles, registration numbers, etc.
Table 3 - all Account information. Salesperson(s), phone numbers, email addresses, etc.

That's really all I'm after.

I have forms set up, and some basic queries that work fine for us.

I have one form that I call "MainPage" that opens at start up. (equal to the Switchboard function I'm assuming)
It has buttons to open each of the other 3 forms, in Edit, Read Only, or Add mode.
Each form has a few search buttons, that search by DeviceName, UserName, etc.

With that said, my first question is this:
1. How can I have the search buttons on the main page, instead of just on the form?
I'd really like to just click a button instead of opening the form first.

Thanks in advance for all the expert advice!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:43
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:43
Hi. Just FYI, I moved your thread out of the Introduction Forum. Cheers!

Eugene-LS

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:43
'd really like to just click a button instead of opening the form first.
Yes, it is possible, but it is better to show it on your specific example.
Can you post a copy of your application with just the form (with subforms) and required tables/queries.
Just a few (fictitious) records to get your wish.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:43
There are several articles and tutorials in the Database Planning and Design link in my signature.
If you are not familiar with database concepts and/or Normalization, then I suggest you work through a couple of tutorials from RogersAccessLibrary identified in the aforementioned link. Each will show you a procedure to identify and set up your tables to support your business. Once you complete the tutorial(s), you can apply your experiece to your database project. A database with 3 tables that are not related raises a flag.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
1. How can I have the search buttons on the main page, instead of just on the form?

Open the main page form in design view. Drag all of the tables you want to search onto that form.

This will cause MS Access to create new forms, called subforms, which will display the data in datasheet view on your main form.

You can now apply a filter and filter the information shown in these subform windows by following the instructions on my website here:-

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
For more advanced filtering you might need something like this universal filter:-

It's available for free to access World forum members, just contact me with a private message.

In this video you can see how to filter the tables in datasheet view, in the same way you filter in MS Excel

Last edited:

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
Today, 04:43
Hi..

I'm only using it as a basic inventory feature, as well as some history and quick look ups. I've been using several excel spreadsheets, but with a couple of other people in the dept saving them and making new ones all over the place, we've decided to give Access a try.

Here is where I'm at:
Table 1 - all devices in our company...including computers, printers, network switches, cameras, etc.
Table 3 - all Account information. Salesperson(s), phone numbers, email addresses, etc.

I have one form that I call "MainPage" that opens at start up. (equal to the Switchboard function I'm assuming)
It has buttons to open each of the other 3 forms, in Edit, Read Only, or Add mode.

In addition to the other excellent advice, I would encourage you NOT to start building forms until you have a fully normalized set of relational tables in place. It's a waste of time to build forms to support non-normalized tables because they'll have to be replaced anyway.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Today, 07:43
Then you might as well go back to Excel. The whole idea for using Access is to normalize your data into related tables. If the data isn't related, I don't see the point. Now if you mean you just haven't got to that stage yet, we can help. How to design your tables so they are logically related comes first. Ahhhhhh, I see GPGeorge beat me to it.

mike60smart

Registered User.
Local time
Hi..

Here is where I'm at:

Hi
Can you upload a copy of the database?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:43
I've been using several excel spreadsheets, but with a couple of other people in the dept saving them and making new ones all over the place, we've decided to give Access a try.

Access will not help with this. Your problem is OPERATIONAL, not technical. With undisciplined users, you will have an issue with them keeping their own records in Excel anyway because something about your current system doesn't meet their (perceived) needs. You need to find out what is going on BEFORE diving into the Access pool. And please note that in considering Excel vs. Access, it is a dive into the DEEP end of the pool. There is a steep learning curve on the path from Excel to Access. Personally, I think it is worth it - but you should walk in with eyes open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom