Stop the ghost thread notifications? (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 13:51
Jon,
Any chance you can work on fixing the above title please?
Just as I go to click on the notifications, the alert disappears all the time?. :mad:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Do you mean you see a notification on the bell at the top right of the screen, you then go to click it and then before you click it that notification on the bell disappears?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Yes, exactly that.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I will ask on the Xenforo forums. I have never seen it before but I think there was some talk about the notification thing before.

Edit: Actually, before it was a flashing notification, reportedly. So I am assuming this is something different.

When did this start happening?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Oh, it has been a while. Might have been when it was first mentioned, but not so much as a flash as a 'here, come click me, oops I'm gone' sort of think.? Perhaps my browser is slower than others? :D

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
So just hovering over the notification icon without clicking makes it disappear?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
So just hovering over the notification icon without clicking makes it disappear?
Not really, as I go to it, it disappears, but I wouldn't really call it a flash, as then I would not get time to start to move to it.?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Still not clear. So, on the notification icon there is a number(?) that is solid, not flashing or moving. Then, when you move the mouse towards it, it disappears permanently before you even get anywhere near there? Are you sure this only happens when moving the mouse towards it? What about when moving the mouse away?

I have to describe this at the Xenforo forums and I still don't know what you mean because I can't see it.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
So you do not get to see it?
Does not appear conditional on movement, just stays there long enough to make me think I do have notifications.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I do not see it.

What browser do you use? Does it always happen like this?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I use Pale Moon at the moment.
It does the same in Chrome (just checked), albeit a little faster. Now that is more like a flash.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 05:51
I have the same thing and I and others reported it at the beginning of the switch. It flashes a random number, then goes away.
The slower your connection/browser is, the more likely you are to have actually begun to act on it prior to realizing it's a false alarm.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Looks like I asked this a while back and no solution. Others have reported it. But some think it might be to do with template modifications. Not sure how to diagnose it because there are quite a few addons and I have no idea how any of them modify the templates. Plus I never see them myself.

Have you tried clearing your cache?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Looks like I asked this a while back and no solution. Others have reported it. But some think it might be to do with template modifications. Not sure how to diagnose it because there are quite a few addons and I have no idea how any of them modify the templates. Plus I never see them myself.

Have you tried clearing your cache?
No, but I will try.

Edit: Cleared cache in PM. Notification stays on even longer.? :)
Edit: Same with Chrome :(

Last edited:

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I've gotten so used to it that my brain now wonders "What number will it flash this time?" in a bizarre mixture of annoyance but also anticipation, ha ha. Mine have gotten pretty high - up in the low 100's now. It grows. :unsure:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I use Chrome too but don't see it. I am on a Mac if that makes any difference. Be interesting to see if any other members get this glitch, apart from yourself and Isaac. However, I am not sure how I solve it as I wouldn't know where to start.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
My company sent me a new Surface Pro without Chrome (I used to use) and only Edge, no account, no sign ins, no previous cache, and I still get it. I also have an issue seeing certain Sharepoint forms that nobody else has. I just figure I am special!

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I wonder if it could be cookie related? Might be worth clearing those too. The fact that Isaac mentions his is in the 100's makes me think there is some kind of accumulator that is stored somewhere, perhaps in a cookie.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Are either of you using the Ignore feature? Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom