Suggest a good TRANSLATION app ? (1 Viewer)

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 06:29
I would like to hear anyone's insight and personal experience with translation apps that they may have used in the past. The language I am interested in is french. I'm looking for something that's super easy and convenient to use, and can also take speech to text and quickly play me a sample of what I'm supposed to say. I will be looking at whatever Google offers, but I don't want to just assume that's actually the best and easiest to use.

This is not to learn a language, just to survive a brief trip. Where is the bathroom, what time is check out, etc.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I used Google Translate when we visited Japan, and it worked great!

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I used Google Translate when we visited Japan, and it worked great!
Okay, thanks! I'll start trying it out now to get used to it. I've never used the app before.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:29
In France above all else at least try to speak the language.
The French are very protective of their language and if you make no effort to speak it when visiting, they suddenly have no comprehension of English, when in fact (particularly in the cities) they often have a reasonable command of it.

I vividly remember seeing a (typical) Brit getting louder and louder in English, trying to buy tickets from a booth at Le Mans and the seller simply shrugging his shoulders and looking puzzled. The guy left without buying his tickets.
We went over and in very Pidgeon Franglais enquired if he had any available, and in pretty perfect English he said "Sure how many do you want?" :LOL:

Lesson learnt.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 09:29
The French are very protective of their language and if you make no effort to speak it when visiting, they suddenly have no comprehension of English, when in fact (particularly in the cities) they often have a reasonable command of it.
(y)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:29
Google Translate is best. You can even use video mode and hold it up to text and it will translate in real time.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:29
I agree that Google Translate(y) is very good. Definitely more than adequate for communication.
I was helping a poster from Brazil with a Biology related database.
He said his English wasn't good, so I posted a response in Portuguese(via Google Translate)
His next comment: Man, I almost thought that you were a brazilian too. lol.
I have used GT for responses to French, Polish and German posters.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Thanks, everyone. Comments appreciated!
@Minty ok point taken, thank you. I'll try not to be overly visible/obnoxious in my use of the App, and I'll approach people to ask simple questions with the French already ready in my mouth.

PS someone told me I should have no problem as I speak pretty good spanish. I didn't agree, although I do see similarities (like I asked the App how to say Screw You (just for fun, not preparation) and it started with Va Te ...which is pretty damn similar to "[you] go" in spanish) ........Yet, the accent and speed with which it is spoken make it seem very dissimilar to spanish! If it were Italian I would have agreed, where I can understand about 1/3 or more of what is spoken solely on the basis of spanish similarity.

This G.T. app is quite nifty so far! camera, scanning, saving bits, very nice! Thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom