Switching to mac??? !!! (1 Viewer)

evanscamman

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:40
Hello,

My boss just switched our entire company to Mac. For now, he is allowing people to use Parallels to run non-mac software (such as CorelDraw), but he has set a timetable for eliminating Parallels as well. Of course, this will kill the Access database that runs a large portion of our company's data.

In the short term, I need to figure out a solution for the Outlook automation within the existing Access database. Although our systems are currently running both Mac OS and Windows through Parallels, our admin doesn't want to run both versions of Outlook. This means that my Outlook automation has to be disabled unless I can find a way to send calls across the Parallels barrier to the Mac version of Outlook. I'm guessing that this is either very tricky or impossible - any ideas about this?

Second, if I have to scrap Access altogether, is FileMaker Pro the real deal on Mac? Is it possible to 'convert' the db from Access to FM Pro, or will it take a complete rewrite? And, once done, will I have lost functionality, or are the different platforms close enough to call it even?

Thank you!

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:40
Of course, this will kill the Access database that runs a large portion of our company's data.

You boss didn't think of considering this before making such a big decision? He is an idiot. A change like this without planning will set the business back enormously. Seriously I would recommend looking for a new job right away.

Second, if I have to scrap Access altogether, is FileMaker Pro the real deal on Mac?

There is no real deal equivalent to VBA in a Mac.

Is it possible to 'convert' the db from Access to FM Pro, or will it take a complete rewrite? And, once done, will I have lost functionality, or are the different platforms close enough to call it even?

It is a start over situation. I don't need to be clairvoyant to foresee nothing but endless pain.

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 12:40
What about OpenOffice Base? I've only briefly used this product so I can't speak with any conviction. But it has an incredibly similar look/feel/philosophy to Access (see here).

It also has a coding language called Basic. Obviously the libraries will be different to VBA though (see here for brief guide)

OpenOffice has a mac version. You'd be able to import your tables and maybe queries but thereafter I suspect you'd have to rebuild everything else by hand. Maybe someone has written a conversion tool.

But I imagine there are many more considerations:
- reliability
- security
- can it do everything I need

Chris

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Trading VBA in Windows for Base scripting in a Mac is like trading a Toyota Hilux 4WD for a Lada Niva.

NigelShaw

Registered User.
Local time
Trading VBA in Windows for Base scripting in a Mac is like trading a Toyota Hilux 4WD for a Lada Niva.
lol. the more worrying thing is that you actually know what a Lada Niva is!:D

We had a similar situation in our office. Well, the boss didnt just randomly decide to change the entire IT to a foreign language without any consideration because that would be just plain stupid right?

We have 50% designers and it seems that the software they use works better on an a mac so, out IT guy wrote a silverlight equivalent that was web based so it looked identical to the system we use but could work cross platform.

The oulook issue i wont comment on.

cheers

N

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
lol. the more worrying thing is that you actually know what a Lada Niva is!:D
He's been watching too much Top Gear ;) I had to google it. Looks quite nice.

I any case, most of the people who drive 4x4 where I live have no intention of using its capabilities.

Agreed. But is it doable or a complete no no?

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
He's been watching too much Top Gear ;) I had to google it.

I any case, most of the people who drive 4x4 where I live have no intention of using its capabilities.

Actually a neighbour had a Lada Niva. It sat immobile for a very long time until someone took it away when the property was sold.

We have two Hiluxes both owned from new. A 1985 2WD that simply won't die despite nearly 400,000 km and having very little spent on parts. The other is a 1999 4WD. We are weekend cattle farmers.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Are you aware that Outlook 2011 has VBA? Have you looked into whether you can move your automation into Outlook itself?

EDIT: Sorry, I double-checked, and I'm a bit off. Outlook 2011 itself doesn't have VBA, though Excel, Word and PowerPoint has it. Apparently, your automation solution would be in form of AppleScript, it seems.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
So the big answer is that you better make sure your boss gives you enough time to convert and test and ensure that this company mission-critical app gets done before removing Windows from the equation completely.

And on a personal note, if the workplace I work at did that, I would be out the door so fast it would cause a small hurricane/typhoon. I have worked on Mac and while I don't hate them, I just don't like using them. And I definitely wouldn't want my job role so redefined as that would do. But that's me.

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
There are two option Virtualisation / Cloud Technologies or a Terminal Server. I'll stick to the TS solution the only pitfall I know of but you would need to check is Exchange and Outlook. In the pass there were issues running then on the same Server.

RPC or Remote Desktop is available on the Mac and users could just log in the Terminal Server and use Office including Access or just start a Session for the database.

Simon

stopher

AWF VIP
Local time
Then you'll love this Galaxiom...the hilux has been immortalised by Top Gear in the UK:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Sorry for being off topic :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom