Today, I really fancy a... (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:39
Not all of the gloom and doom predictions are total nonsense. We are set up for some serious climatic changes. Without going into details for the moment, global climate change is real. The cause-and-effect nature of it has been extensively debated. But climates change in nature and did so LONG before Man came on the scene. So I can't be surprised that it is changing yet again.

I would think that depending on certain changes, arable land might decrease for multiple reasons having to do with weather pattern changes altering the "normal" moisture patterns. If you dig deep enough, you find that the Sahara desert wasn't always arid.

Reactions: Jon

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Today, 11:39
In fact, if we were to adhere dogmatically to "what's best or [natural] for the planet", and apply it at a 30,000-ft level, one might even be able to argue that there is nothing wrong with letting Climate Change progress to whatever its destiny is - even if that meant the extermination of the human race.

Because maybe the planet has had many cycles of human races, and each one comes and goes.........
Or maybe the universe has had many Earth's, each one comes and goes........

Not going that far is essentially to admit that we wouldn't necessarily want nature to take its course - if it harms us. We want to manipulate our destiny and perhaps cheat death.

neuroman9999

Local time
cheat death.
speaking of cheating death, is google still trying to develop technology that will allow a person to live forever? LOL.

Auntiejack56

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:39
I'm so sorry about this, but what I'd like is a free ODBC driver for an OData source. How embarrassing, and yes I'd also like cheesecake, coffee (cap with 1), volume 2 of Stalin by Stephen Kotkin, some new golf clubs and a new car to put them in, but the driver would save me quite a few headaches. Even a template for one would be a start! Anyway, guess I'll settle for the coffee. And best wishes to Colin and his wife.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
is google still trying to develop technology that will allow a person to live forever?

No. Their technology will be so boring that when you use it, it will merely SEEM like forever.

neuroman9999

Local time
No. Their technology will be so boring that when you use it, it will merely SEEM like forever.
oh come on Richard, google is the most sophisticated tech company in the world! how could they possibly be boring!? I mean, other than listening to Sundar Pichai ramble on ALL DAY LONG about absolutely NOTHING. typical CEO genius. LOL. by the way, have you seen this?

https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/the-next-silicon-valley-why-toronto-is-a-contender/

it seems as though the geniuses out in silicon land (or is that ""silicone"" land?) are not the only ""tech"" geniuses in the world anymore. oops! =)

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, Silicon is the valley and the substrate for chip circuits. Silicone is more of a Hollywood thing. Quite a few miles difference between them. You really need to keep abreast of these definitions, Adam.

neuroman9999

Local time

neuroman9999

Local time
I could, but don't care.
I knew that. by the way, what are you doing up so late? Your fragile body can't handle the late night hours, can it? Or are they keeping you busy here by telling you to track my every movement?

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
I learnt a few words. I got tapes I used to play in my car and also a book, where you stuck labels to things in your house. Was fun! La cocina was stuck to my kitchen door!
Most of the Spanish words I have learned are by going to Mexican restaurants. Since I live in Central California, it probably would be useful to know more Spanish. A lot of billboards and store fronts are in Spanish around here.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 18:39
Oh wow, so very multi-cultural then. Is Mexican Spanish slightly different to Spanish Spanish?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Oh wow, so very multi-cultural then. Is Mexican Spanish slightly different to Spanish Spanish?
I speak fluent Spanish, and the way I think of the whole varying Spanish dialects is in terms of pragmatic usage and value. If you learn Spain spanish, that will help in case you ever vacation in Spain. If you learn the other kind of Spanish, that will help you in the other 95% of life. Something along those lines.
When I was first learning Spanish, in University, my professor taught us that of Spain, because she was fond of visiting there when she was younger. Once I got out into the real world, I realized that the majority of the rest of the spanish speaking world, although their dialects still varied somewhat, none of them spoke that Spain stuff, complete with the fake lisp and all--and everyone laughed when they heard the strange things I'd been taught!.

I found out that in real life, the "non-Spain" spanish is what is going to be useful...95% of the time.
Thankfully, I then met my wife, who is a native Spanish speaker, and over 20 years of hanging around her, her friends, my in-laws and going out of country, got fluent in the real thing (as I consider it).
Learn Spain spanish if your only purpose in doing so is to vacation or live in Spain. Almost all practical usage West of Spain (i.e., the western hemisphere and majority of spanish speaking usage), is not that.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, Adam. Plugins are made by private contractors like you, and thus are cheaply made. Are you SURE you wanted to say it that way?

neuroman9999

Local time
Yes, Adam. Plugins are made by private contractors like you, and thus are cheaply made. Are you SURE you wanted to say it that way?
I'm not a private contractor, you super-nice person. I work on a w2 and have full benefits. what made you think otherwise? however, yes, sometimes I get 1099s. but that's on a supplemental basis.

by CHEAP, I was talking about people that work for the navy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom