UK - Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill (1 Viewer)

Sandre

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:18
I never used to be political - and I tend to be a lurker on here as my Access is rubbish :D - but I am moved to post this as even my apathy is not standing up to recent Government initiatives :mad:

I picked up some polemic in a Times opinion piece yesterday which made me curious enough to go Googling.

The Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill is available in full here. Unfortunately, my eyes glazed over after the first paragraph, and I started losing the will to live after the second, but just the mere fact of there being a Human Rights flag on this bill gives me cause for concern (although I haven't checked the relevant section of the HR Act).

The BBC explains the bill.

So does the Cabinet office.

Another view - blog of UK Public CCTV Surveillance Regulation Campaign.

And other sites, not worth quoting here, that's more than enough to be going on with.

If I've understood all my reading correctly, the above Bill would allow the Government of the day to unilaterally make new laws without reference to Parliament as a whole, let alone the general public via a referendum. Sure, there's safeguards - and we can absolutely trust the Government 100% not to move the goalposts, right?

I thought the Times article was paranoid. Maybe not.

As I only discovered this little gem last night, is there anyone out there who knows more?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:18
See, you let them take your guns away, then it starts..... ;)

R

Rich

FoFa said:
See, you let them take your guns away, then it starts..... ;)

Our House of Lords has all the artillery we need :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom